Illustrator Fun- Vector Self Portrait
We’ve worked a lot with the pen tool and other illustrator tools. This project is a creative project where you will use a picture of yourself to create a self-portrait using illustrator.
Draw a self-portrait in illustrator
- Look at the EXAMPLES!!! Ours as well as The Mac Lab's (They also have this and this) You’ll need to do at least this good for an “A” on the project!
- Watch the Brainbuffet.com tutorials on Creating a Self Portrait-(I recommend watching one, doing the step, save your work, then move to the next video, do it, save, etc…) Looking for the old videos??
- Take a picture of yourself or scan a picture you already have
- You must create a vector illustration of yourself in Illustrator
- The image you create can be in any style (cartoon, abstract, etc…)
- The image must be in color.
- The image must be created as a letter sized (8.5×11) image.
- Save the project as 113selfport-username.ai in your Folder
- Save another copy for web with a maximum dimension of 1000 pixels for uploading to the lab. Use “113-username” as the file name so we can always know who’s work that is if it hits the wall or web! (replace username with your online lab login name).
- Illustration Software (Illustrator)
- Our very own Gallery of Vector Self Portraits at Brainbuffet.com!
- Maclab Tutorials- TONS of awesome Illy Tuts!
- Internet Research
- Adobe Video Workshop is a great place to get introductory tips on Adobe products!
- Google Search for illustrator tutorials
- *******WANNA MAKE YOUR VECTOR SPARKLE??? POLISH IT!!!!********
- Pay attention to your main features and trace those large areas.
- It’s easier to trace the “lower” images first, then the “top” images (draw your head before your eyes, draw your iris before your pupil)
- Experiment with all the tools, pencil, pen, brush, etc… See what tool feels best for each part
- Experiment with line, proportion, and color- they’re the major focus on this project.
- USE AND NAME LAYERS for the different parts you draw… it will help when you have to rearrange things.
- The wacom tablets should really help here. Use them to make the process feel more natural.
Illustrator document demonstrating mastery of all concepts in specifications. Final Design Image.
- Create a web page that is a tutorial for other students doing this activity. Explain in detail (with graphics) a specific concept related to this project.
- Create a portrait of a friend or celebrity
- Create a still life in the same or different style from your portrait (building, object, famous art, landmark)