Mike Skocko
Teacher

Game On v 3.x Discussion

After six years of pushing the gamification envelope, we've reached a new level. Game On 3.x has been (mostly) rewritten from the ground up by Forest Hoffman, a Mac Lab alumni now four years removed from high school. After years of working for free—or for pennies per hour if one counts the few donations he's received—Forest has decided to move on to new and more lucrative projects. I can't thank him enough for all he's given us.

I have numerous current students working in code but none competent enough to add significant new features in Game On (which has, thanks to Forest, become more complex and powerful than in my wildest dreams).

Forest has volunteered to repair any bugs we find in v3.x so I encourage all of you to test, test, test before the school year begins because this is a freebie. As for new features, Forest has agreed to submit a bid for the work. It is unreasonable for us to expect a 21-year-old to continue to work for free. Perhaps we can all pitch in for features we all want. Or not. Your call.

For now, Forest has written a v2.x to v3.x guide, and for the geeks among us, a slightly more technical explanation. I encourage you to read both.

Links: Game On Latest Release | Game On Manual* (kinda sorta) | Game On Evolving Strategies* | (re)Imagine | Minimum Wage | @themaclab

*Both are works-in-progress and both are in need of updates. Use Command (Mac) or Control (PC) + F in your browser to search for specific terms.

-----

Feel free to add a generic comment to this topic so you will be notified each time others comment. One downside of discussion here is that none of us are notified about any new topic or comments in existing topics unless we first add a comment to a thread and opt in for notifications manually.

Products
Ratings
5 / 5 • 1 Rating

Comments (156)

Write a reply...
or Join for free to view all comments and participate in the discussion.

Kerrick Lucker

Posted on Nov 14, 2017 9:54:00 PM Permalink

Happy Fall, everyone. Hope it's going well.

I want to award level badges when my students level up, so I can limit certain quests by level or by experience. Is there a way to do this automagically or do I have to do it with the clipboard?

Also, I'm having the disappearing badge problem, so I suppose I'll need to update, but I'm waiting until TG break to do it so I have time to try and fix things if everything goes horribly awry. ​

Mike Skocko

Posted on Nov 14, 2017 10:08:49 PM Permalink

Add badge ID number to the third column in Levels on the Game On Options page to automatically award badge.

3.3.6 was a painless update for me—and others, I suspect as no one reported issues. Your mileage may vary. ;)

Ryan Hayes

Posted on Oct 29, 2017 5:29:30 AM Permalink

​Any way to make Stage 5 non-repeatable? I tried to put a zero in under limit, but it won't take on save. I planned to switch up the way my quests unfold. I was going to have students go through 5 stages of the Design Process with the final stage being delivery. However, I only want them to be able to claim the reward fro Stage 5 once. Any ideas?

Matthew Miller

Posted on Oct 29, 2017 8:04:30 AM Permalink

One way to handle this might be to make the reward an item in the store, limit 1, then set Stage 5 to 1 repetition and link to the store item in the description, with no specific reward in the quest itself for that stage. ​

Ryan Hayes

Posted on Nov 14, 2017 5:10:07 PM Permalink

The 5th Stage is kind of wonky. It doesn't operate like the rest. Even how the button is labeled. Still trying to figure an elegant workaround. I haven't tried the store reward like you mentioned, yet.​

Mike Skocko

Posted on Nov 14, 2017 10:15:27 PM Permalink

It was designed as a repeatable stage, unlike all the others. It was my idea and it was a terrible idea!

Go with a store item for the 5th stage.

(Or wait for Game On 4.0 which will have intro and outro stages with an optional number of stages in between. Coming before summer—or at least that's the plan.)

Ryan Hayes

Posted on Oct 27, 2017 3:35:01 AM Permalink

​With all the new rules the state (and/or my district) is piling on Perkins funding for CTE I am about to lose my mind. All funding is cut off next year (Perkins, CTEIG, etc.) if we have mixed classes. AKA I can no longer have Graphics Arts 1 and Graphic Arts 2 in the same period. SMH. I currently only have SIX Graphic Arts 2 students spread across THREE periods of Graphics Arts 1. Admin won't let a class with less 20 (and even that is a stretch) be offered.

Which leads to a pathway needs to have a minimum of TWO years (which has been around forever), but see paragraph one for how that will now be an issue .... Fun times.

​So what does this have to do with Game On? Well the first part, nothing. I just needed to rant. :)

But ... we also have to require industry certification which in the case of DMA classes is Adobe ACA. So, on to the part that pertains to Game On.

ACA certification includes questions on the Design Process, which I cover, but perhaps not using the correct terminology and with enough emphasis. So ... I had an epiphany to rename and rearrange the stages of Quests. I had been doing Encounter, Accept, etc.

​I think I am going to switch to Design Brief, Research, Ideation, Refine, Delivery. Then reinforce in each project. Means a lot of rewriting of current missions. Grrr. We shall see how it goes.

marcia blanco

Posted on Sep 27, 2017 5:20:12 PM Permalink

​Hi Folks!

My seniors are ear-deep into refitting Game-on and I am really proud of the work that they are doing. They want to make the game a team competition (Vikings vs. Knights vs Samurai) but the only way we can figure that out how to do it is to use professions. Is there a way to create teams so that individuals gather points for themselves and the team, but can also focus on a more standard profession? For example: Can one kid be a Samurai and another be a Knight but both can be "graphic designers"?

Kerrick Lucker

Posted on Sep 27, 2017 5:28:50 PM Permalink

I've been making group accounts that students share, separate from their individual accounts. That way they can log in to the group accounts and share a group budget. (See thread below on how I did this.) It's not ideal and it's not precisely what you want, but it's something?

Kerrick Lucker

Posted on Sep 12, 2017 4:00:02 PM Permalink

​Argh. I just spent the better part of two days writing a challenge, including researching and pasting in a ton of links. It was a good challenge, designed to teach about diversity in engineering as well as various lesser-known branches of engineering. When I hit publish, all the text fields went blank; my challenge had disappeared into the ether. It's the second time this has happened--you think I would have learned the first time to write it in a local text editor first--and I suspect it's a WP problem, not a GO one. But I needed to vent, and thank you.

Mike Skocko

Posted on Sep 12, 2017 4:57:18 PM Permalink

Has happened to me, too—plus the same thing all the way back to old-school online bulletin boards. Sooooo frustrating!

Now I still compose in a text field (like now) but if I write more than a few sentences, I almost always copy the text before clicking the publish button.

In WordPress, I'll often publish after the first stage in a quest and update again and again as I work through the stages. If I want to hide the quest from others until I'm done, I'll use the Start Filter (in the Advanced Settings tab) to mask the content until it's ready.

When I have an epic quest, as yours sounds like it was, I'm paranoid enough to copy the HTML (the Text tab) from each stage into a TXT file before moving on.

Hah! And I just realized another step... When I just selected and copied this text, a little voice said, "How do you know it actually copied?" So I cut and pasted it back just to make sure.

I'm dyslexic so typing is a s-l-o-w process. I've felt your pain, too many times. But not this one. (Cmd-A, Cmd-X, Cmd-V)

Adam Coulson

Posted on Sep 13, 2017 1:29:16 AM Permalink

Can't Count the number of times I continue to lose quests in the same fashion. I'm a gluten for punishment. Many students used to lose their posts too but since they were making traditional posts they have the auto-save versions available to access​. I even woke my kids up one night when I screamed after losing about a couple hours of work at 1am! Good luck learning from your mistake better than I have.

Adam Coulson

Posted on Sep 11, 2017 2:16:51 AM Permalink

​Do any other teachers have difficulty getting natural student interaction or collaboration while using GameOn? One weakness my students have made me aware of is their dislike for being independent/ alone while working through quests. They want to work with others or learn from others which in a class of all beginners that is tough. I have verbally encouraged this but students say they still feel like they need to be fully engaged in the quests to keep advancing and getting more done.

The challenge of self-paced learning seems tough for me to then assign collaborative projects because some are so far from a point of being ready for a project others want to start.

Mike Skocko

Posted on Sep 11, 2017 2:36:17 AM Permalink

The easiest way to ensure collaboration is to introduce and adhere to 3 then Me.​

3 then Me comes from industry. It means try to solve problems amongst yourselves before turning to supervision.

In the classroom this means ask three other peers before asking the teacher.

Also be sure to separate—completely separate—all loot from grades. If Game On is tied to grades you're going to weep.

Adam Coulson

Posted on Sep 11, 2017 6:21:57 PM Permalink

Owe yeah! I would never tie the game to grades. It defeats one of my primary purposes in pursuing a gamified classroom. The lack of Intrinsic Motivation is one of the biggest challenges I see in our education system. It hurts students ability to create goals in life that aren't motivated by GRADES! ugh.

Mike Skocko

Posted on Sep 11, 2017 6:30:42 PM Permalink

+1​

Mike Skocko

Posted on Sep 11, 2017 2:38:33 AM Permalink

Kerrick Lucker

Posted on Sep 11, 2017 3:43:41 PM Permalink

I have a system for allowing students to work through challenges in groups. It requires heavy use of the clipboard, and I haven't flight tested it yet, but my classes are naturally heavily collaborative and I don't want to stifle that. So students wanting to work in a group fill in a form that says how much currency they want to share to the group per person (has to be equal) and how they will make group decisions (consensus, majority rules, flip a coin, etc.). They also check that they understand that when they finish the group project, the rewards will be shared out equally as well, in addition to any leftover money in the group budget. And, if they walk off the project they don't get their money back.

Again, I'm just launching this system this year, so I can't speak to how well this will work yet. I suspect it'll put a lot of burden on me... but I'm okay with that for now.

Adam Coulson

Posted on Sep 11, 2017 6:24:17 PM Permalink

Sounds cool. Keep us posted. I think I will try to make opportunities for student to choose group work but I am still hoping that as the semester progresses past the intro to software that collaboration might become more easily pursued for the students that really desire it.​

Kerrick Lucker

Posted on Sep 15, 2017 3:14:30 PM Permalink

​So I've now launched that part of the system, and I find students want to form permanent project groups and have a group bank account. I've started making those, transferring Eng into the account from theirs, but since there's not an easy way to do that yet I've been doing it with the clipboard, which is onerous. I'm going to try making a Warehouse item to transfer money to a group account instead.

Mike Skocko

Posted on Sep 15, 2017 4:04:40 PM Permalink

The problem with currency transfers is that it's impossible (as far as I can tell) to restrict who receives the currency. It's easy to limit who can initiate a transfer (I just successfully used a Badge Filter on a "Giftable" store item. Sett​ings

Only students with the Badge could buy it but anyone could be the recipient after the purchaser checks the "Gift this item" box. (It uses display names, not real names.)

The problem is that slackers often convince others to "loan" them currency that's never repaid. Poisons the game.

I'd suggest a class policy that limits transfers within the group, if that's the way you want to go.

The "group" will need a stand-alone account and be given credentials so it appears on the clipboard for this to work.

Hope that makes sense. If someone has a better idea, I'd love to learn it. :)

Kerrick Lucker

Posted on Sep 15, 2017 8:50:24 PM Permalink

I am going to extend them some measure of trust, while also believing in their innate selfishness, to hopefully limit that behavior. Bearing in mind that most of what they can purchase in my store are actually the physical materials to do their projects, not class privileges, I don't actually mind if they loan money to friends to buy wax paper and string so their broke friend can make a kite, because then their broke friend will at least be doing something! But I know my system is a little different than what most people are doing with GO. We'll see how it works and I'll report back.

So far the biggest abuse has been younger students not realizing that they really need to finish the step that's in front of them before they click continue. Then they get piles of gold and spend it all on materials for the next project, and then when I get a free minute I delete their unearned progress and they're in the red. In most cases I don't think this is attempted abuse... it's just that they haven't figured it out yet. A couple students I do think are testing limits, and if they haven't learned their lesson ​Management will eventually come in and start "disappearing" people's accounts and said people will have to start over or pay exorbitant bribes.

I think it's easier for me to get natural student collaboration because elementary schoolers are more social, and because physical projects lend themselves more to working in groups. Also, in past years, all my projects were enforced group projects (because I usually had limited kits). This year they can choose, but many students who have had me before feel comfortable working in groups. (Others are relieved to FINALLY get the chance to work on their own.)

Adam Coulson

Posted on Sep 11, 2017 12:55:42 AM Permalink

​Can't remember: Is there a place in the Stats panel that records any damage/gold/XP awarded or subtracted by the teacher from the clipboard? I'm not finding it anywhere for the student to see what I did to their account. I had expected to see it in the inventory I guess.

Mike Skocko

Posted on Sep 11, 2017 1:08:40 AM Permalink

This was broken at some point. For now, it's in the Messages tab in the Clipboard but it NEEDS to be in each student's Stats Panel (as it used to be).​

Alonso Fernandez

Posted on Sep 10, 2017 11:33:08 PM Permalink

Not really a bug, but something that you might want to keep in mind.

If you're using the password option in your quests, students can easily go into Inspect Element, delete the password field, and advance to the next stage without a password. ​What you do with this information is up to you; for me, it's not really an issue as passwords are just gates for teacher check-in; so, if they skip it, it's on them. But you may have a different setup.

Mike Skocko

Posted on Sep 11, 2017 2:06:19 AM Permalink

Yep. That falls under "Gaming the System" in my room.

​Right from the start I stressed: ​

Week 01: Welcome to the Mac Lab

Hello, Boss. I am Bodhi. Think of me as the Mac Lab’s spiritual guide.

I realize some of you will scoff at that notion, so please allow me to explain.

Personal integrity is the key to your success in this room. There is no homework. There are no tests. There are no loopholes. There are no tricks.

Try your best, don’t give up, learn from your mistakes, and play by the rules.

Those who accept these freedoms and responsibilities will succeed. Those who do not, will fail.

Adam Coulson

Posted on Sep 10, 2017 9:41:46 PM Permalink

​Has anyone else used the URL option on one of their quest stages with the newer GO versions? It shows up for the students to past their URL in but the link on the stats page for that quest stage is not created. I am wondering if its a bug or something I might have done.

Edit: the URL option works on my old quest but the newly created quests that should have the URL link option don't create the link in the stats page.

Alonso Fernandez

Posted on Sep 10, 2017 11:57:25 PM Permalink

I had that issue. Thought it was related to my plugins or theme so didn't bother.

Just checked. It does work. However, if it's set up in several Stages in a Quest it always works on the last one...

Maybe it's something to do with the browser? Or your plugins?

Oh, I'm using 3.3.5 if that helps. Haven't updated to 3.3.6 yet.

Adam Coulson

Posted on Sep 11, 2017 12:42:48 AM Permalink

Did it only work in the last stage for you? I have it set for after the 2nd (into the third) stage. I haven't changed the site as far as plugins or anything since updating to version 3. I just updated to 3.3.6 this weekend so that didn't cause it last week.​

Alonso Fernandez

Posted on Sep 11, 2017 3:41:56 AM Permalink

I tried it from 1st stage into 2nd... and from 2nd into 3rd and it worked. So long as there was only one. Didn't try from 3rd into 4th.

Are the URLs short ones or are they long URLs? There is an issue with long URLs not saving correctly.

Adam Coulson

Posted on Sep 11, 2017 6:25:47 PM Permalink

Hmmmm. The Url's are behance project pages. That might indeed have something to do with it. Thanks for the push in different direction!​

Alonso Fernandez

Posted on Sep 12, 2017 12:06:12 AM Permalink

Keep us posted!​

Mike Skocko

Posted on Sep 8, 2017 2:21:05 AM Permalink

Mike Skocko

Posted on Sep 8, 2017 1:53:28 AM Permalink

Adam Coulson

Posted on Sep 8, 2017 2:17:15 AM Permalink

Hah! Sweet! Thanks again For​est!!!!

Mike Skocko

Posted on Sep 8, 2017 2:23:18 AM Permalink

I see the time stamps but Adam's reply was milliseconds after my post.

The time gates smile on us.​

Shawn Harrel

Posted on Sep 1, 2017 11:45:33 AM Permalink

​Anyone have any advice on a WP plugin to export users with GO data to import into a new WP site?

Kerrick Lucker

Posted on Aug 29, 2017 10:30:58 PM Permalink

​(BTW, if this ever goes freemium I WILL pay for the full version. Do with this knowledge what you will.)

Mike Skocko

Posted on Aug 30, 2017 12:32:36 AM Permalink

Good timing, Kerrick. The plugin will always remain free and open source. However, a new batch of coders and I will be creating a WPMS version of Game On​ for the less tech savvy crowd. Forest is moving on (his choice).

Lots of work to do!

Kerrick Lucker

Posted on Aug 29, 2017 10:28:28 PM Permalink

​Thanks so much to Mike and Forest and all the rest of the team for making this incredible resource. I'm rolling this out this year, after tinkering with it all summer. I am having a problem though that could break everything.

I just upgraded to 3.3.4, and now the clipboard seems to not make changes to students' stats. It will send the message but not add or subtract xp or currency. Any ideas what might be going on?

Mike Skocko

Posted on Aug 30, 2017 12:24:16 AM Permalink

Just successfully added XP and Gold to a student's account​ in v3.3.4 via the Clipboard.

Are you sure you're clicking the checkbox to select the student before awarding loot, Kerrick?

Just to be certain, I subtracted the XP and Gold afterwards. Worked here.

Kerrick Lucker

Posted on Aug 30, 2017 2:43:55 PM Permalink

Yes, I am sure. It sends a message to that student, but no stat adjustment.

Kerrick Lucker

Posted on Aug 30, 2017 2:51:55 PM Permalink

site is​ qlsengineers.online . I can upload some screenshots of what's (not) happening if there's a way to attach them here.

If anyone has any insights I'd appreciate it.

Mike Skocko

Posted on Aug 30, 2017 3:50:44 PM Permalink

If you're comfortable creating a temp admin account, I could pop in, create a temp student account, place it in a period, and try myself....

Before that, did you change the student role by any chance? The default role when creating a new account is Subscriber.​

The easiest way to check is to click on Users in the WP Dashboard. Under the big Users heading in the upper left it should say All (xxx) Administrators (x) Subscribers (xxx)

mskocko@guhsd.net is email.

Mike Skocko

Posted on Aug 30, 2017 3:55:52 PM Permalink

I meant to add that I love the problem solving mindset you're promoting. +1​

Kerrick Lucker

Posted on Aug 30, 2017 4:14:07 PM Permalink

Added you.

I had changed the student role, in fact. I changed it back both in defaults and for my test student, but still nothing is happening... but maybe I borked everything when I made that change to the defaults. Hmm.

Kerrick Lucker

Posted on Aug 30, 2017 4:18:32 PM Permalink

And thanks. :) Borrowed a lot from the MacLab page, so thank you for the inspiration.

Kerrick Lucker

Posted on Aug 30, 2017 4:27:36 PM Permalink

Sorry to keep chain replying, but I THINK I have fixed the problem. The first test user account is permanently borked, I think, but the test user I just added after changing the defaults back is working, and can be affected with the clipboard.

So, lesson learned, don't mess with the default user roles. :) Good thing I haven't set up student accounts yet this year...

Mike Skocko

Posted on Aug 30, 2017 4:42:49 PM Permalink

I love happy endings. That should work from this point forward.

As for borrowed ideas, I'm honored. We've built an open source community. :)

Keith Hines

Posted on Aug 26, 2017 2:25:10 PM Permalink

​I've been attempting to use the "Test" option with the "Loot Modifier" set at 50. For some reason it still is granting the full credit no matter how many the student gets wrong. It will tell the student which questions are wrong and then they will have a chance to correct the mistake. Any ideas why this is happening?

Adam Coulson

Posted on Aug 27, 2017 11:34:28 PM Permalink

Not sure if this is a separate or similar issue but, when I set a time modifier in the advanced settings at the top of the quest the modifier only affect the stage 3 loot after time runs out (a problem since the majority of my loot comes from stage 4.)​

Mike Skocko

Posted on Aug 28, 2017 7:25:34 PM Permalink

Adam, are you referring to the Time Filter in the following (if the formatting holds)?

Date: Time:

That's the only one with a modifier so I suspect so.

Mike Skocko

Posted on Aug 28, 2017 8:19:29 PM Permalink

Different result here (if this is what you're referring to):

Tested in student account in Firefox:

t45

Rewards

Stage 1 - 10 Experience 10 Gold

Stage 2 - 10 Experience 10 Gold

Stage 3 - 10 Experience 10 Gold

Stage 4 - 10 Experience 10 Gold

by Boss | Aug 28, 2017

Time Sensitive Quest:

After accepting you will have 60 seconds to reach Stage 3 of this quest before the rewards will be irrevocably reduced by 50%.

----

There used to be a timer countdown. Clicked Stage 2 and nothing happened. Waited a couple of minutes and clicked through. Got 100% rewards.

Tried it again with 1 Minute rather than 60 seconds. Got 100% rewards after waiting 3 minutes between stage 2 and 3.

??!

Adam Coulson

Posted on Aug 28, 2017 9:27:01 PM Permalink

​Yeah that is exactly what I was referring to. I expected the loot in Stage 3 and Stage 4 to be reduced by 50%. Since it only reduced the stage 3 loot by 50% and most of my quests award the most for stage 4 Students don't lose much. They still get the full original award amount for stage 4. If that is the correct purpose then no problem I just thought I remembered it reducing 3 and 4 by 50% loot.

Mike Skocko

Posted on Aug 28, 2017 9:37:15 PM Permalink

I tested this two different ways and both times the student account received full rewards (40XP + 40G) despite the Time Sensitive Quest info.

As for Stage 4, I believe this feature was designed for 3 stage quests. It's an oldie.

Mike Skocko

Posted on Aug 28, 2017 2:19:56 PM Permalink

I've sent this on to Forest. Thanks for the info.​

Mike Skocko

Posted on Aug 28, 2017 7:21:53 PM Permalink

Here's what I wrote to Forest after testing:

I think they're misunderstanding how it works. I've made 6 different quests—no cloning or undoing stages—and the rewards are NEVER awarded with the Test Loot button checked, 50 as the Modifier, with 1, 2, or 3 questions (tried em all). Right or wrong answers have no affect on the total loot. It always adds the standard loot and ignores the Test Loot setting. Go figure.

Test Loot is broken.

-----

Test Loot is supposed to award extra loot, over and above the settings. It does not nerf the value of the stage. Does that make sense?

Keith Hines

Posted on Aug 28, 2017 9:59:46 PM Permalink

It would seem this is backwards, right? I would think it would award the full loot at 100% and reduce at the modifier amount. If it only adds "bonus" loot, there's no way to ​define the amount of bonus loot. It would be fine either way, but I don't want to award gold for all wrong answers just so the students who got 100% get extra. Make sense?

Mike Skocko

Posted on Aug 28, 2017 11:17:32 PM Permalink

Makes perfect sense, Keith. That's why I always set the nerf to 100 so any wrong answer yields 0 extra loot.

I set it to 50 in my test to see what the problem was. I had no idea the dang thing was busted!

BTW, the bonus loot inherits the stage value. Just the way it was coded way back when.

Mike Skocko

Posted on Aug 24, 2017 3:10:25 AM Permalink

https://youtu.be​/W2HWxzTWQCE

That's where we are on day 8 of the school year. Thought some of you might benefit from seeing one use of the achievement (badge) filter to guide students along pre-selected path(s).

I'm already pining for next year so I can do a better job of onboarding the kids but dang, even with the blunders, this is the best start yet.

Adam Coulson

Posted on Aug 23, 2017 2:54:34 PM Permalink

​Bug with the previous version:

When I manually award a student a badge all of their other badges earned from within quests vanished from their stats panel.

Edit: That only happened to one student so I'm guessing the anomaly is related to something different he did.

Mike Skocko

Posted on Aug 23, 2017 4:00:39 PM Permalink

​Just tried this and it worked fine.

Did the kid undo any stages? That will remove a badge if it was awarded in one of the stages.

Otherwise, it's gremlins!

Adam Coulson

Posted on Aug 28, 2017 4:41:06 PM Permalink

Might have found a badge related bug:

When I used the clipboard to remove a student's completion of a badge quest, it removed the badge he had earned from that quest AND all other badges he had earned as well. I then had to manually award him the badges he was missing to unlock the chains he was working on.

I might try to find some petty cash to support Forest for this extra work he is still offering us. Does he still have the account we can donate to?​

Mike Skocko

Posted on Aug 28, 2017 7:48:07 PM Permalink

Pushing this out so we don't get squeezed.

-----

I dro​pped more than petty cash to get the Badge Filter. Worth every penny! :)

I am unable to reproduce that scenario but have a few students (just a few) losing all badges—including my own student demo account (that I originally tested your glitch report). Is there a time delay or is it immediate? I tried it on a second test account just now and am wondering if badges will eventually disappear in that account since I have no idea why the original student account lost all its badges.

I did NOT remove any badges from the other students.

Very weird. This needs to be fixed.

Adam Coulson

Posted on Aug 28, 2017 9:30:11 PM Permalink

I'm pretty sure it was immediate and I agree it may only be happening sometimes rather than always​. I have only become aware of three occasions it happened.

Mike Skocko

Posted on Aug 30, 2017 6:33:08 PM Permalink

Meanwhile, keep trying to identify the variables. :)​

Adam Coulson

Posted on Aug 30, 2017 4:19:50 PM Permalink

​The loss of all students badges is definitely related to the abandonment of quests. I have had two more students lose their badges after abandoning a quest.

Mike Skocko

Posted on Aug 30, 2017 4:46:11 PM Permalink

Just to be clear, Adam, is the abandoned quest one that awarded a badge or is it any random quest? That might be important to pin down.​

Adam Coulson

Posted on Aug 30, 2017 6:12:41 PM Permalink

Hard to say because I previously thought it was happening only when abandoning quests that awarded badges but the most recent one wasn't ...unless that student had received a Level badge on that quest which is a possibility but I don't know of any way to check that now. The only confirmation I have is that every instance of badge losses​ has coincided with that student having to abandon a quest.

Wish I could be more specific. I watch watch more closely if it happens again.

Mike Skocko

Posted on Aug 30, 2017 6:32:20 PM Permalink

Until we can solve this, a student who inadvertently loses badges—for whatever reason—can simply return to any quest in which she had previously earned a badge, undo a stage or two (depending on where you awarded the badge), click through, and viola, badge is back.

I made ​a map of sorts for the kids. (Perhaps I should have identified the specific quests, but they're chains so, not hard to find.)

Really hard to troubleshoot this until we get a better handle on the mechanism that's absolutely, positively causing​ the issue. This is so random it's near-impossible to know where to begin looking.

Mike Skocko

Posted on Aug 28, 2017 7:50:07 PM Permalink

Adam Coulson

Posted on Aug 28, 2017 9:36:45 PM Permalink

I got him a couple hours worth. I'll find more when possible.​

Mike Skocko

Posted on Aug 22, 2017 6:41:16 PM Permalink

​Untested Pre-Release (I've been out of town helping daughter move into college and haven't had time to test. May not have time tonight either—videos to record.)

Prevent duplicate stage rewards

foresthoffman released this 2 days ago

• Fix #155: prevent task stage from giving duplicate rewards, based on old task progress
    • Normal (stages 1-4) and Repeat (stage 5) Stage buttons prevent multiple clicks, preventing confusion and unexpected rewards.
    • Stages do not give rewards for old-stages or those that are out of order, which can occur when a user has pressed the back-button on their browser (prevalent in Firefox and Chrome).
    • Both go-buttons and undo-buttons provide the user with a loading indicator (when necessary), giving them immediate feedback for their actions, hopefully preventing confusion.
    • Stages belonging to a task with a chain requirement will not give rewards if the user has failed to meet the chain requirement after having loaded the task. This occurs when the user has un-mastered or un-completed (based on the chain requirement) the required task, without refreshing the desired task. Such instances result in the user's browser being refreshed to display the desired task's current status (e.g. the chain requirement error).

Downloads Source code (zip)

Alonso Fernandez

Posted on Aug 23, 2017 12:57:41 AM Permalink

I believe this breaks the password lock...

Edit: Tested. It keeps "spinning" whenever there's a password lock and it prevents the stage from advancing.

Mike Skocko

Posted on Aug 23, 2017 1:39:22 AM Permalink

Thanks, Alonzo. I'll pass this along.​

Mike Skocko

Posted on Aug 24, 2017 5:16:24 PM Permalink

Alonzo, Forest would like to know which browser you were using.​

Alonso Fernandez

Posted on Aug 25, 2017 12:12:53 AM Permalink

​Tested in Chrome... Will test in others and report.

Edit: Firefox, Safari and Opera same results....

Edit Edit: Seems to be the problem was with a line of code I had to update Wordpress' usage of jQuery to the newest version. I removed it and it worked flawlessly.

Mike Skocko

Posted on Aug 25, 2017 12:19:55 AM Permalink

+1 Thanks, Alonzo.​

Adam Coulson

Posted on Aug 18, 2017 2:47:31 PM Permalink

​I may have encountered a fairly significant bug. I have several quests that are doubling, tripling, and more for the loot when students either go back to a quest, refresh a quest, or return to a quest. Several student are sitting at numbers like 360XP 114 gold for quest that should have been 35XP and 10 Gold! I am seeing many occurrences with many different quests.

Anyone else see this?

Additional Info: Talking to some students, they said that the problem occurred when they went to a quest in the chain out of order. They got the message saying they needed to complete a different quest first. Instead of going to that quest though, they simply hit the back arrow. When it went back to their previously COMPLETED quest the final stage was clickable again to complete it. This then repeated their XP and Gold that they had already received. It was innocent but other students immediately noticed some people were too high on the leaderboad.

It seems that almost anytime a student leaves the quest using a link I provided mid-stage then returns using the back arrow they are prompted to recomplete the previous stage that was already done.

AND

I have also found that a couple of students that are for some reason double clicking a completed stage button receive double loot every time too :(

Mike Skocko

Posted on Aug 18, 2017 4:05:39 PM Permalink

We saw this today, too. One kid said the browser wasn't responding so he spammed the button.

I'll get Forest on it. The fix, for now, is manual adjustments via the clipboard. Sorry about that, everyone.​

Adam Coulson

Posted on Aug 18, 2017 4:22:57 PM Permalink

Actually students can fix it themselves by simply undoing all stages AND abandoning the quest before going back to re-complete the quest. The abandon phase removes all accidentally awarded loot.​

Mike Skocko

Posted on Aug 18, 2017 5:10:04 PM Permalink

D'oh! Better solution, Adam. Didn't know abandoning would solve the issue. Thanks!

Mike Skocko

Posted on Aug 20, 2017 3:59:33 PM Permalink

Forest is on the case and should have a fix soon.​

Mike Skocko

Posted on Aug 22, 2017 6:44:08 PM Permalink

Check Posted on Aug 22, 2017 6:41:16 PM​ for possible solution.

marcia blanco

Posted on Aug 17, 2017 7:39:35 PM Permalink

​Hi Guys! I've been screwing around using Quick Time for my screen capture videos, which is fine but I think I'm ready for prime time. I need to be able to show keyboard commands and label stuff. Which program(s) do you guys use to create your video content?

Mike Skocko

Posted on Aug 17, 2017 7:59:45 PM Permalink

I just want to record and publish with the rare edit now and then. When I wanted to move up from SnapzProX​, I settled on ​ScreenFlow just because it was the one that worked intuitively right from the start. Camtesia (looks like it's morphed into Snagit) has more bells and whistles but I'd never use them. I record, upload directly to YouTube then repeat as necessary.

I use ​PinPoint for my cursor (with a simple custom PNG because I don't like any of its presets) and a System Preference setting (that escapes me at the moment) to show the keyboard shortcuts.

Adam Coulson

Posted on Aug 18, 2017 3:28:09 PM Permalink

I've used Camtasia for a couple of years but like Mike, It's fancier than anything I need. I also don't really like the way it uploads directly to youtube because I have no control over the quality at which it is uploading​ meaning they are huge files that take upwards of an hour to upload and publish (No WAY that will work for me)!

marcia blanco

Posted on Aug 18, 2017 6:24:28 PM Permalink

Thanks both Adam and Mike! You've saved me a ton of time and since school starts for me in less than two weeks, it's crunch time. (Why does this always happen? I'm as bad as my kids.) Anyway, I've downloaded Screenflow and Pin Point (which is adorable). It is really intuitive, which I appreciate.​

Mike Skocko

Posted on Aug 17, 2017 2:19:21 AM Permalink

​Crud. I was checking something and accidentally clicked the unsubscribe button. Hopefully this comment will remedy the situation.

marcia blanco

Posted on Aug 17, 2017 7:37:43 PM Permalink

Situation remedied. :)

marcia blanco

Posted on Aug 16, 2017 7:31:50 PM Permalink

​OK. I have a bunch of quests in place and my site is navigable. I think I'm going to leave the spit and polish for my seniors. However, one thing I would really like in place is the store and I'm coming up empty for what I can put into it. (I have a few things: Trip to the coffee shop at end of road; permission to use phone for music; replacement time for work in other classes) What do you guys have in your stores, and can I shamefully steal your ideas?

Jeb Dickerson

Posted on Aug 16, 2017 7:36:13 PM Permalink

You can find a few ideas here...though keep in mind I use my store not just as a place to sell things, but as a place students can claim credit for things they've done.

http://dickersonpl.com/the-cooperative/

Mike Skocko

Posted on Aug 16, 2017 7:51:43 PM Permalink

marcia blanco

Posted on Aug 16, 2017 8:40:04 PM Permalink

Mike, you are SUCH a jem! Thank you! This is going to be a fun year.​

Jeb Dickerson

Posted on Aug 17, 2017 12:10:30 AM Permalink

sadly, mike, i am out of the jeb is cool stickers. they were going for a stiff sum at one point, and still the kids wanted them. heh...​

Mike Skocko

Posted on Aug 17, 2017 2:06:48 AM Permalink

And that's how we discovered we were in the presence of a high school reality star.

You rock, Jeb!

Mike Skocko

Posted on Aug 16, 2017 7:53:00 PM Permalink

Should have mentioned that I'll be adding more items as the year rolls on.​

marcia blanco

Posted on Aug 16, 2017 8:41:13 PM Permalink

I'll keep checking back in. Also, can you advise on goodies that you've offered that might not have worked so well?

Mike Skocko

Posted on Aug 16, 2017 9:00:36 PM Permalink

Bad ideas? Oh yes...

Control the music playlist for a period. (Kids would save up just to annoy the rest of the class with obnoxious songs.)

Override a song request. (Led to hurt feelings. Sometimes. Sometimes I was thankful.)

Lend Gold. (NEVER let high achievers bail out their friends. Really bad lesson.)​

Will try to think of more.

Adam Coulson

Posted on Aug 14, 2017 4:47:07 AM Permalink

​Got the Bonus loot working but on a different note the Quest Chains don't show up at the end of the quest as I had anticipated. All the Quests in the chain show in the quest chain advanced settings but there is no link at the end of the published live quest to actually get to the next quest in the chain. The quests all

Anyone else experienced this?

EDIT: The chain list doesn't show up for the admin but it does show up for the student accounts :)

Mike Skocko

Posted on Aug 14, 2017 10:20:26 AM Permalink

I always expect to see the chains, too, Adam. Always good to have a student account active when testing.​ I use two different browsers when building/testing things and just Command-Tab to jump between the admin and student. (Is it Alt-Tab on a PC?)

Adam Coulson

Posted on Aug 13, 2017 9:41:45 PM Permalink

​Mike, I saw you are using the bonus loot feature. I seem to be missing a step for that setup up. I created a bonus loot item in the store and checked the box after stage 4 of the quest. What else is needed to make it active and possibly where do I control the frequency of the bonus given?

Mike Skocko

Posted on Aug 14, 2017 4:31:38 AM Permalink

Mike Skocko

Posted on Aug 14, 2017 4:35:18 AM Permalink

P.S. You could set a limit in order to restrict the bonus loot to X number of awards if you so desired.​ (I don't so hence, the message in the video.) There's no right or wrong way to do this so use the strategy that works best for you.

Adam Coulson

Posted on Aug 14, 2017 4:45:20 AM Permalink

Perfect! thanks.

Jeb Dickerson

Posted on Aug 13, 2017 8:07:38 PM Permalink

I'm a chump, should have tested plugin compatibility first. My apologies, this was a conflict with the YOAST SEO plugin. I'm sure there is a list of 'known conflicts' somewhere that I just missed.

Does anyone have another approach they use for SEO (beyond the typical best practices) that does not conflict? Thank you...

Alonso Fernandez

Posted on Aug 13, 2017 8:52:18 PM Permalink

​Since it's my class page and most of the stuff in there is expected to be read and dealt with for my students only, I personally don't deal with SEO. My intended target are already captive. Hehe.

And if you need them to be able to search or find stuff on the page, I'd recommend either the Search Everything plugin which will allow to search inside the quests. Or to include your site in Google Webmaster Tools, and the equivalent of any other needed search engines.

Jeb Dickerson

Posted on Aug 13, 2017 9:25:40 PM Permalink

Thank you so much Alonso.​

Mike Skocko

Posted on Aug 13, 2017 9:20:00 PM Permalink

Glad you figured out the conflict, Jeb. As for SEO, I'm with Alonzo—the kids are my target audience.

But a plugin for searches on a page? How about Command (or Control)-F? Works every time.

The fewer plugins the better. We do not test for conflicts* and so far the only other known conflict is with some premium plugin that slips my mind at the moment.

*It's just Forest and me. And we both have lives, jobs, and families, too. :)

Jeb Dickerson

Posted on Aug 13, 2017 9:27:25 PM Permalink

I do love me some CMND F. :) And I agree about the plugins, and about the target audience, but I'd also like to expand the conversation and draw in others when possible.

Thanks, as always, Mike. Cheers...​

Mike Skocko

Posted on Aug 14, 2017 4:42:36 AM Permalink

100% agree on pulling folks in but I've never used SEO and ​this happened due to content I'd uploaded for my students.

If you build it... :)​

P.S. Doesn't mean SEO is a bad idea.

Alonso Fernandez

Posted on Aug 14, 2017 10:32:37 PM Permalink

​I agree on the less plug-ins the better. And about the ⌘F (Ctrl- F) it's always a good resource. However I find it that when I have built up a large amount of quests, it's easy to direct Ss to use the Website Search (with the Search Everything plugin) as I have found that it will literally find all instances of whatever they are looking for, doesn't matter if it's a tag, a category, the text inside of a Stage 4 quest...

Mike Skocko

Posted on Aug 15, 2017 12:34:50 AM Permalink

Cool beans, Alonzo. If it's that good, I may give it a go once this year's quests begin to stack up. Thanks!​

Jeb Dickerson

Posted on Aug 13, 2017 7:52:07 PM Permalink

​Hi Mike,

I hope I didn't miss this in the thread somewhere. But, I just installed version 3.32 and my Quest pages (which I call Adventures) formatting is a bit wonky.

If you look ​HERE, this is an Adventure from last year, and you can see that the basic layout is quite odd. It's a 4 tier adventure (Easy, Moderate, Strenuous, Extreme) and right out of the gates, you can see the margins are gone, the padding is gone and it just seems to be blowing out all the typical layout boxes.

But beyond that, it has the full group of 4 tiers listed 3 times, with a comment section between them. And then, it actually lists them AGAIN, within what would typical in terms of the layout. Just one time each for this part, but it lists the REWARDS 3 x up front. Hard to explain, but when you see it you'll know what I mean. I think. :)

Any thoughts/advice would be much appreciated. Cheers...

Mike Skocko

Posted on Aug 3, 2017 4:46:33 PM Permalink

Just in case anyone is interested, I'm trying Badge Filters as an alternative to Pods.

Here's ​an example from this spr​eadsheet.

Hope that sparks an idea or two. :)

Dyslexia strikes again. It would help if I spelled Phase correctly.

Alonso Fernandez

Posted on Aug 3, 2017 4:51:41 PM Permalink

Quick question... how are you managing the "Thursday triggers August achievement"? ​

Mike Skocko

Posted on Aug 3, 2017 5:44:00 PM Permalink

The achievement is automatically awarded when students complete the August 31st daily quest (it's awarded via the Stage 3 Settings). Since all the month's daily quests are in a chain, students​ must complete each of them in sequence. And all of the daily quests use the Start Filter so they aren't available until 6:30 AM each day.

The September daily quest chain will work the same way except that the September 1 quest employs a Badge Filter. Each month is tied to the prior month in this way.

Does that make sense?

Adam Coulson

Posted on Aug 2, 2017 5:23:00 PM Permalink

Post to get notifications: Thanks!​

Mike Skocko

Posted on Aug 1, 2017 4:01:29 PM Permalink

Mike Skocko

Posted on Jul 30, 2017 12:01:35 PM Permalink

Alonso Fernandez

Posted on Aug 1, 2017 10:23:23 PM Permalink

This would be my ​Course Flow... hopefully will be able to put to good use the Badge Filters in GO

Mike Skocko

Posted on Aug 2, 2017 4:28:50 AM Permalink

+1​

Let us know how it turns out, Alonso.

Mike Skocko

Posted on Jul 29, 2017 5:33:47 PM Permalink

Latest Release: v3.3.0

foresthoffman released this 2 hours ago

• Fix #149: add go_store_wrap shortcode to allow for the encapsulation of custom content within a Store Item link

Downloads Source c​ode (zip)

Alonso Fernandez

Posted on Jul 28, 2017 4:23:40 AM Permalink

Could I suggest making the go_store shortcode be enclosing? It would allow us to make images or custom text clickable and direct students to the Purchase lightbox. Something like [go_store id="1"] IMAGE HERE [/go_store]

Already submitted an issue on Github (https://github.com/TheMacLab/game-on/issues/149) to that regard with the code changes needed to implement if it seems like a good idea.

Mike Skocko

Posted on Jul 28, 2017 4:57:35 AM Permalink

Very cool idea, Alonso. I've forwarded it to Forest, the keeper of the code.​

Mike Skocko

Posted on Jul 29, 2017 1:13:05 PM Permalink

v3.3.0 works as you described, Alonzo. Forest will probably release the official version later today.

Alonso Fernandez

Posted on Jul 29, 2017 5:04:27 PM Permalink

Well, not precisely as I described as some issues did arise. But Forest was able to work out a solution, as we now have [go_store_wrap].

He's amazing!

Mike Skocko

Posted on Jul 29, 2017 5:29:30 PM Permalink

Well, the front end works as you envisioned. In the end, that's all the matters. :)

But please do try to hack the code whenever inspiration arises.

And you're right. Forest is amazing. As I implement a new and improved onboarding system, I'm really appreciating the elegance, flexibility, and power of what he's created in v3.

It's going to be a great year!

Alonso Fernandez

Posted on Jul 28, 2017 12:56:48 AM Permalink

​Is the [go_award_badge] shortcode not working any more?

Edit: Nevermind, it works however it doesn't work with the repeat="false" operator

Mike Skocko

Posted on Jul 28, 2017 2:23:38 AM Permalink

Hey Alonso, welcome to the group!

That shortcode is a legacy remnant and we probably should delete it. Quests, Store Items, and Levels all feature a text field you can simply enter the image ID (without shortcode) to award badges.

If that doesn't make sense, let me know and I'll record a video.

Mike Skocko

Posted on Jul 28, 2017 2:28:56 AM Permalink

Oh, and if you use the Store Item to award a badge, just set the Limit to 1 and no one can double dip.​

Alonso Fernandez

Posted on Jul 28, 2017 2:35:40 AM Permalink

Interesting... I tried using the Badge checkbox on a Quest and couldn't make it to work, thought it might have been a Badge filter, so that's why I was relying on the shortcode, which I finally managed to get to do what I was intending.

And honestly, I'd rather not have to create store items for each and every badge to be able to award them so the shortcode seemed to be the perfect bit. I'll keep experimenting. Still have some time before the beginning of the year.

EDIT: Got it! Was trying to award the badge on Stage 4 Settings... when I should've added it into Stage 3 Settings so that it awards it when they reach the final Stage...

Mike Skocko

Posted on Jul 28, 2017 3:24:56 AM Permalink

Great. Please don't hesitate if you have any other questions.​

Mike Skocko

Posted on Jul 24, 2017 6:17:05 PM Permalink

Mike Skocko

Posted on Jul 23, 2017 4:29:25 PM Permalink

​Just a heads up on a new feature coming soon...

Mike Skocko [9:14 AM] @foresthoffman FEATURE REQUEST (I need it ASAP and I'm ready, willing, and able to pay.) I'm relying on filter locks all year long so I need an option to make those quests inaccessible to anyone NOT logged in. Maybe with a message like: You must be logged in to view this content.

[9:16]

Just a check box in the Advanced Settings, on by default if a filter is employed, would work. Yes? You have a better idea?

[9:17]

I'll even pay in advance if you need some dough now. :)
Mike Skocko [9:22 AM] Same with quest chains—check box active by default. Am I forgetting anything else? So long as the check box is there, anyone could manually activate it to mask any other quest content. Yes?(edited)

[9:23]

Oh yeah, what's the price?

-----

Anyone have a better idea?

-----

UPDATE: Forest is coding. We'll have these new features soon.

Terrence Banks

Posted on Jul 22, 2017 4:19:59 PM Permalink

​Man, it's been 6 years since I started using game on and it has always been a hit with my students. I just downloaded v3 and will be trying to test it for bugs asap. This summer has been extremely busy for me and I have not been on here in a while, so I'm gonna do stalker mode and catch up on the conversations..lol

Mike Skocko

Posted on Jul 22, 2017 5:28:27 PM Permalink

Mike Skocko

Posted on Jul 17, 2017 5:12:51 PM Permalink

marcia blanco

Posted on Jul 15, 2017 7:02:41 PM Permalink

​Wow! Thank you so much, Mike! I got this done and created a quest for my professor and my classmates in a class that I'm taking this summer. Not surprisingly, they all went nuts for it, and I've only covered about 20% of the options available. Thank you so much for helping me! Count Vermont on your ever growing lists of states using your plugin and changing their teaching. Count me as one of your biggest fans. (I feel like I should send you a bottle of wine or something. Do you like maple syrup? )

Mike Skocko

Posted on Jul 15, 2017 7:44:23 PM Permalink

What a great message to greet me at the airport while I wait to board the plane. ​

As for thanks, just knowing one more teacher is pushing the envelope is all the thanks I need. :)

If you ever want to ponder moving even further away from business as usual, ​try (re)Imagine (I'm especially excited to try out the newly revised Grit-Based Rubric you'll find linked there).

If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate.

marcia blanco

Posted on Jul 15, 2017 8:05:04 PM Permalink

I'm already there. I have shamelessly downloaded it and am looking for a unique font to make it my own. over the past three years, I've been assigning two grades to each assignment: one for work "quality" and the other for "employability skills" (attitude, grit, work readiness, self direction, teamwork, leadership, communication. I focus on the category that makes the most sense for the project, but most of the time, self direction is the one most useful and easiest to assess.). Each grade has equal weight for the assignment and since I usually have less than 20 kids (this is northern Vermont after all. Nobody lives here.​) I can afford to spend the extra time.

However, this year I've decided that the game will be the big assessor ("Want those EX points? Well then, give it another shot."). My grades will be based solely on your awesomely poignant rubric. Since our school is tiny (50 students and a staff of 13, including the maintenance guy), my students are the kids who don't want to take Forestry, Auto and Medical Careers. This year, I have a full class who's interests range from fine art to hacking Russians, so I really gotta diversify my curriculum. As I said before, your posts are a God-send

I promise to keep you posted. Have fun on your flight.

marcia blanco

Posted on Jul 13, 2017 10:14:03 PM Permalink

​OK. I now have my site up and my first quest in place, and I'm feeling a little less hesitant. Now for the most obvious question: how do I get students to log on and play? Do they have a log in and password? How do I set restrictions so that they only have access to the front end? (I bet I'm missing something obvious here.)

Mike Skocko

Posted on Jul 14, 2017 12:05:32 AM Permalink

Hi Marcia. Congrats on taking the dive!

Yes, students must login. Her's an explanation from this page.

Sometimes taking a little extra time at the beginning can save a lot of time in the long run. Here’s how I add users.

Username: I copy the student’s ID number from the class roster, paste it into the Username field, press Tab, and paste it again. (Tab jumps to the next field on the form.)

Email: In our district, all students have an IDnumber@guhsd.net email address. Since I’ve already pasted the ID number, I copy and paste @guhsd.net immediately after the ID number. If you don’t know your students’ email addresses, you can fill in a generic one that they can replace when they login—but each one has to be unique (WordPress rules).

In a few seconds the required information is accurately entered. Ignore the other fields and click the Show password button (not shown in the example image as I’d already clicked it).

Password: By default, WordPress supplies a convoluted password that students will never remember or be able to enter manually. I replace it with something short and simple (though not 123 as shown in the example)—and I use the same password for every student. Why? Because I want every kid to login successfully and follow the instructions in the first quest (that part’s coming up next). Keep it as simple as possible or you’ll have chaos.

Confirm Password: Click the weak password box.

Send User Notification: Deselect this box. Seriously, do you want students checking their email on the first day?

Role: Leave it set to Subscriber (the default selection).

Add New User: Click the button and repeat the process.

Note: You’re free to use any method you want, but after all these years, I strongly suggest removing as many variables as possible to pave the way for a smooth start to your GO experience.

-----

Let me know if I can help with anything else. :)

Mike Skocko

Posted on Jul 10, 2017 2:42:09 AM Permalink

​NEW RELEASE: ​v3.0.9 fixes the bug in quest chains.

Mike Skocko

Posted on Jul 7, 2017 8:03:23 PM Permalink

Mike Skocko

Posted on Jul 6, 2017 1:36:53 AM Permalink

​Weird bug in Quest Chains: They seem to work perfectly except the content in the last chain appear in any quest in the chain you try to edit. It's not on the front end. Just the back end.

Weird, like I said, but Forest will fix that ASAP.

UPDATE: Fixed in ​v3.0.9.

Matthew Miller

Posted on Jul 6, 2017 12:34:22 AM Permalink

Thanks, I'll download and start testing.

Forrest, I would be interested in a bid on making pods, and one on integrating imagemaps.

Mike Skocko

Posted on Jul 6, 2017 1:35:19 AM Permalink

Thanks, Matthew.

Imagemaps: ​Mapplic is $26.​ I've purchased it but haven't used it yet. That's about as cheap as it gets for a pro product.

Pods: They're still sitting there in Game On. Maybe when Forest rebuilt the leveling system... No way to know without testing that. I'm hopeful though.

Mike Skocko

Posted on Aug 3, 2017 4:31:14 PM Permalink

Matthew, I'm using the new Badge Filter to make the functional equivalent of Quest Pods.

The Badge Filter's advantage is, well, the Badges. (I'm calling them Achievements.)

It doesn't have the slick Pod look that Austin created but Game On has always been more about function than flash.

Give it a try and let me know what you think.

Mike Skocko

Posted on Jul 1, 2017 8:16:19 PM Permalink

​BUG: Date & Time Stamp no longer appear in the Stats Panel.

Mike Skocko

Posted on Jul 1, 2017 3:28:21 PM Permalink

​BUG: When trashing old quests one by one, the quests are moved to the trash but Warning: Illegal offset type in /srv/www/htdocs/maclab.guhsd.net/wp-admin/edit.php on line 327 appears.

When batch trashing, getting an Invalid Post Type message.

Update: We think https://github.com/forestho​ffman/game-on/archive/v3.0.12.zip fixed this. I can't test because I deleted hundreds of my old quests already.

Mike Skocko

Posted on Jul 1, 2017 3:07:36 PM Permalink

​BUG: The Time Filters (in quest Advanced Settings) seems to work for Gold but not XP. I've alerted Forest (and will do so for each bug I find).

Update: Fixed. ​Download latest release.

Mike Skocko

Posted on Jul 1, 2017 2:38:28 AM Permalink

​Heads up everyone. I'm sorting through over 700 old quests and though the first 100 2.x quests, every one had the Lock and Badge options checked—in every stage. Check to see if that's happening to you before your students encounter the Lock.

I jumped to the end of the queue and the 1.x quests are identified as Invalid Post Types and are inaccessible. (I'm kind of thankful for that. Less to worry about.)

I went through manually rather than trying to jump to a specific page and CAN access every quest back to 2014. (I must have deleted the older quests.) Man, memories of quests gone by.

NOTE: Creating a new quest doesn't trigger that behavior.

Jeb Dickerson

Posted on Jul 1, 2017 1:59:17 AM Permalink

​Thank you Michael, and Forest. Just uploaded the new version and will commence fidgeting with it. Cheers...

Mike Skocko

Posted on Jul 1, 2017 2:30:15 AM Permalink

You're welcome and thanks for testing, Jeb. Hope all's well at Vista High School.*

*FYI Everyone: Jeb is part of a team that won one of ten $10M Grants from ​XQ America.​ Pretty awesome!

Syrita Ramos

Posted on Sep 4, 2017 5:15:01 PM Permalink

Wow! Congrats Jeb! Pretty Awesome!!!!!!​