Shawn Harrel
Digital Media Instructor

Unable to Add "Period" or "Computer"

I've got a few quirks that might be related to my Wordpress install.

When I click the plus button by Period and/or Computer, the minus button disappears and I don't get an option to add anything.

Also, I'm not seeing anything in the clipboard after students are completing Quests and submitting files, completing test questions, etc.... (4 quests so far) Is this related to my lack of Periods/Computer? Or part of a larger problem?

My Wordpress install is a site under a Multisite Network. I have admin rights on everything, but the plugin is *not* network enabled, just enabled for the sub-site for my Digital Media class.

Any ideas on how to get it up and running correctly? Thanks in advance. Lots of excitement from students about presenting material this way. Thanks to Mike and the development crew. Brilliant!

Ratings
0 / 5 • No Ratings

Comments (14)

Write a reply...
or Join for free to view all comments and participate in the discussion.

Ryan Hayes

Posted on Sep 2, 2017 9:40:28 PM Permalink

Export may not work, but you could try the Duplicator plugin. It will migrate an entire site over to a new WP install. I have used it a few times, though not with a Game On site. You can give it a try.

https://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/

Mike Skocko

Posted on Sep 2, 2017 9:56:31 PM Permalink

Ryan, would you please copy and paste this reply to ​the v3 Discussion so more people will see the answer? Just click the Reply link in Shawn's Sept 1 question there. Thanks! ​

Mike Skocko

Posted on Aug 31, 2017 9:11:32 AM Permalink

Sorry, Shawn, just saw this. (No one is notified when a new thread is created. Best strategy is to post questions to the ​Game On v3 Discussion and you'll get quicker responses.)​

Game On does NOT work in a WPMS environment. You need to run the standard WP version.

If you're using WPMS for student blogs, I've done that, too, in the past. If you want to continue that, do so but set up a stand alone site for your gamified curriculum and life will be much better.

Aside: Some of us are experimenting with Behance for student portfolios/documentation. Here's ​another hidden (in plain sight) thread about that.

I love discussion boards but this one is sorely lacking in notifications unless one makes a comment and opts in.

Shawn Harrel

Posted on Aug 31, 2017 11:04:34 AM Permalink

No problem, thanks for the response. I'll get on the right thread next time :-)

Odd thing is I can get it to work on another site -- a couple actually -- that are under the multi-site....hmm? At least it doesn't have the same problem with Period/Computer, but might with something else I suppose. It's odd!

I'll see if the district can get me on a standard WP install. Then my question is have you had any experience exporting user data? If not I'm prepared to do so manually.

I'm going to really appreciate the currency they're earning to "rent" equipment and recording space. I also appreciate holding them responsible for something without hitting the grade book. If I have to clean up after them there's a cleaning fee and I find I'm not as bitter. haha

Mike Skocko

Posted on Aug 31, 2017 1:39:35 PM Permalink

Weird that GO worked on any MS install. But like I tell my daughter, weird can be good. (But creepy is always bad.)​ Another teacher in my district hacked the code and says it works after changing about 20 lines of code. We're looking into that... eventually.

As for exporting user data, that's been a long-requested feature. Alas, only so many hours in the day. What exactly are you looking for?

I, too, love keeping loot separate from grades. Damage (penalty loot) in conjunction with the super-modifier (in Additional Settings on the Options page) is a great classroom management tool.

Shawn Harrel

Posted on Aug 31, 2017 2:31:47 PM Permalink

It looks like "Export User Data" is a plugin that will get all the go_* files -- for a fee of course​. The free version won't export the custom info. Just didn't know if you had ever known anyone to have luck with an export plugin and GO options

Mike Skocko

Posted on Aug 31, 2017 2:44:41 PM Permalink

Ask on the v3 page. We've got folks who are more database savvy that me.​

Shawn Harrel

Posted on Sep 1, 2017 11:36:40 AM Permalink

​will do. Thanks! ...and just like that I have a fresh WP site for quests separate from the multi site. Now to see if I need to migrate manually or not

Mike Skocko

Posted on Aug 31, 2017 1:41:39 PM Permalink

Forgot to mention that I just use the clipboard to review user data. The date/time stamps in users' Stats panel is also golden.​

Shawn Harrel

Posted on Aug 31, 2017 2:21:56 PM Permalink

Is there way to add/subtract loot outside of the Clipboard? It may be a moot point, because I think my district webmaster is going to have me set up on a separate WP install before the end of the week. I'm getting the same kind of love from the tech department as you do. Makes a world of difference when we can ask for something for our students and have it set up, pronto!

Mike Skocko

Posted on Aug 31, 2017 2:43:30 PM Permalink

I use store items. Kids buy tardies, absences, truancies, damage, etc. The bonus is they feel the pain of purchasing the penalty. After a grace period, I just tell 'em if they make me do it manually it'll cost double. Works like a charm. (I have notifications on and get emails within seconds of a purchase.)

See the lower portion of ​any weekly page ​to check the details.

Shawn Harrel

Posted on Aug 31, 2017 2:16:28 AM Permalink

​This is the error message I'm getting. I've tried uninstalling and re-installing. I've tried disabling plugins to see if there are conflicts and switching themes...all to no avail! I can't really do anything interactive with the students because I can't get into the clipboard and students can't see the leaderboard because there's no periods to sort by. HELP! Thanks... We're still making it work without a lot of interaction from the back side :-)

Shawn Harrel

Posted on Aug 25, 2017 11:35:33 AM Permalink

​Adam,

Yes, I've gone in there and double checked. I do have the "Periods" and "Computer" under seating chart (and have even changed the name a few times to see if that had any impact -- also, updated my GO plugin. When I get into the seating chart prefs I see the "+" and "-" buttons, but when I click plus, the minus disappears and nothing else happens. graphic no periods/computers

Thanks, Adam. This is odd for sure!

Adam Coulson

Posted on Aug 25, 2017 1:16:55 AM Permalink

​Hi Shawn,

Did you add the periods or computer numbers to the "seating chart" in the GameOn settings? Those need to be added before you will have the option to select one in a users profile for your site.

Once you assign each student a period, you should then be able to select a period on the clipboard to see stats for all of the students that have that period selected on their profile.

Let us know if you need more assistance!