Behance for Student Portfolios?

Posted on Feb 2, 2017 by Ryan Hayes Latest activity: Mar 17, 2017

2 32
  • 0 No Ratings

I am getting tired of maintaining a Web server for both my classes and all of the student sites/portfolios. Then I started thinking, why not Behance for student portfolios instead of Wordpress sites? Anybody else doing this? Looks like they can add images and text. So, I can still have them do project reflections.

I'd have to adjust my assessment/curriculum a bit since Behance doesn't have "blog" functionality. I know there is Weebly, Wix, or even Wordpress.com, but looking at Behance I was digging the simplicity of it.

Comments (2)

Mike Skocko

Posted on Mar 17, 2017 8:16 PM - Permalink

​Adobe would love us to use Behance. Lots of upside as you've both pointed out. The only downside is the Adobe ID. A few of my students have issues with logging in (long story) to CC with their Adobe. It's a self-inflicted wound but potentially an excuse for some of our more challenging students to intentionally manufacture.

Even so, it is an idea worth considering. Thanks, Ryan!

Matthew Miller

Posted on Mar 12, 2017 12:29 PM - Permalink

I'm not using Behance, but am doing essentially the same thing using Google+. My students are design rather than art focused, and I wanted a tool that a) allowed for image, file, link & text posting and b) ideally was easy-to-use and familiar. So far, it's worked just fine for my classes. Students can tag their posts in order to easily separate whats-your-grade from daily reflections from professional portfolio presentations. They can even create separate "Collections" that make it easy to see these; particularly useful after the class, so they can send folks to see their portfolio without the clutter of the classwork-oriented items.​

One gotcha we ran into at the beginning was permissions. I don't know if this will apply with Behance, but we had to troubleshoot several students' accounts who hadn't made their blogs available for review, so I could see some but not comment on them and couldn't even see others'.

One big benefit of joining a community like Behance is that it raises the authenticity of the platform. If you're participating in a clearly worldwide community and your teacher regularly shows others' portfolios from the same site, it has more motivating force for keeping your own work of high quality before posting than any class site could.