Let's get writing! Short writing activities using Spark
These writing activities were designed by Dominic Traynor,
a former primary and secondary teacher, who is now an Education Evangelist for Adobe.
Writing and written communication is so important, but writing a full "essay" can also be daunting! It's important to give students the opportunity to do quick, short, guided writing practice.
These Spark videos with background content knowledge were designed to stimulate writing using a short 2 minute video as the prompt. With the video, students are given the necessary background and context a particular issue to answer four short questions. You can use these activities as "200 word writing challenges", or increase or decrease the word count and complexity to meet the needs of your students.
This can be set as a homework task to be completed using Adobe Spark Page but it can also be used as a timed writing challenge in class. Get your students to submit their completed Spark Page link to you, which they can share via your LMS, email, Google/Microsoft Forms, Google Classrooms, or whichever digital communication tool you use in your class.
Writing doesn't need to be daunting! Make it short, quick, light, and fun!
Use any of the templates below, or adapt or create your own:
- How can drivers be convinced to use public transportation?: https://spark.adobe.com/page/lTz3dNV7ZrwZt/
- Should we be producing more renewable energy, or should we be reducing our overall energy consumption?: https://spark.adobe.com/page/FI0QQRCADvQoM/
- Should we have to wear bicycle helmets?: https://spark.adobe.com/page/R6vIbaHwI5EF7/
- Junk food, healthy food? https://spark.adobe.com/page/pKFzRakc3CKCe/
- Can veganism change the world? https://spark.adobe.com/page/gPKxAUsyaYtud/
- Tobacco, advertising, and social media. https://spark.adobe.com/page/2XN6tIhSfDA2x/
- Should there be monarchies? https://spark.adobe.com/page/Oy0ndefx5NhfU/
- Air travel for work or vacation: https://spark.adobe.com/page/LXE8AzZXBSFrj/
- Should homework be replaced by acts of kindness? https://spark.adobe.com/page/JEWKg2E5vyCCF/