Lee Smith
Instructor

Preventative measures for academic integrity

Currently, I use the Adobe Classroom in a Book series for AI, PS, and ID.  The problem I find is that students in my 16 week class will slack too much and come crunch time, make provisions to "complete" their work.  I'm interested in your thoughts on how to prevent cheating with these lessons.  I have attached due dates to the lessons where before they were just to be complete by the end of the semester.

I've considered the following:

1. Taint the lesson END files with metadata and distribute the tainted version.  Use bridge to see if the metadata comes back as mine or their own.  If mine...it's a File > Save As which is cheating.  But that doesn't prevent a Select All / Copy / Paste in a different document scenario.

2. Taint the lesson END files with hidden/locked layer content and distribute the tainted version.  Same concerns as #1.

3. Taint the lesson END files with subtle changes that will not be achieved if actually doing the lessons.  Ex. Color change or use of specific Spot Color somewhere.  Font size change.  Modified (incriminating) text in body copy (ex. 

Lorem rerit, seque copied end file voluptae volorpore rectius).

Like all of us, I want a fair and just learning environment that promotes growth and understanding.  I want to take the focus away from the stress of a deadline and put it in the book...but have deadlines to drive the timeline.  Any help is appreciated.

Products
  • Photoshop

Editing and compositing for photos, web and mobile app designs, 3D artwork, videos, and more.

• Illustrator

Create beautiful vector art and illustrations.

• InDesign

Craft elegant layouts at your desk or on the go.

Ratings
0 / 5 • No Ratings

Comments (8)

Write a reply...
or Join for free to view all comments and participate in the discussion.

marcos padilha

Posted on 12/11/14 11:14:31 AM Permalink

Something I do with the 8th graders whom I teach a unit with Photoshop and Illustrator is constantly grading them. Not sure how is the grade policy where you teach, but I found that grading most of their work adds some extrinsic motivation that keeps them busy.

I also use some monitoring software on the lab computers, with which I can see their screens and follow up on their work in real time and block off task work.

This works pretty well to keep students on task most of the time at least.

Jay Muncaster

Posted on 11/10/14 3:04:30 AM Permalink

I shared some of the same concerns in my class a couple years ago and have been modifying the course to try and make it a bit better. Now, I demonstrate the new tools each week in a 45 minute 'showcase' at the beginning of class where they can work along with me or write notes and ask questions. It is up to them based on their learning style and working speed. This is the part where they risk distraction but I leave the podium every 15 minutes, walk through the classroom and comment/advise on the work I see on their screens.
Then they are given a small assignment or portion of an assignment from the textbook to complete as part of their in-class activity grade. It is worth something but not treated as a significant par tof their final grade - I look at all their in-class work once a term and determine a grade based on completion.
At the end of three lessons like this, they create a 'culminating' assignment that I have created that uses all of the required tools.
This way the students touch each tool/technique three times, the in-class work is worth something for the final grade (10-15%) and the majority of the grades come from the more important, interesting, relevant and unique culminating assignments.
So far it has worked well and I am still making changes but things run a lot better

Lee Smith

Posted on 11/7/14 5:39:27 PM Permalink

That's a plan there Sjaani! I'm glad I joined the exchange because I couldn't see the cart before the horse on this one.

Colin, I generally skip the 3D portions of CIB but we focus on design for print and web. I'd be interested to see what you had in mind.

Sjaani van den Berg

Posted on 11/8/14 4:00:20 AM Permalink

Glad we've given you some ideas Lee, it's very easy to have blinkers on and not be able to see alternatives sometimes.

You might also find some great ideas in the Resources area of EdEx, I recommend you do a search through that.

Colin Byers

Posted on 11/6/14 4:32:22 AM Permalink

I agree with Sjaani's comments, use the book as a reference and provide assignment assets for students to create a product that demonstrates their learning. I'm curious though, what are you covering specifically from classroom in a book, perhaps we could work together on creating some new resources for your students to use?

Sjaani van den Berg

Posted on 10/31/14 10:35:23 PM Permalink

What is the age of your students? Are you working with adults who want to be there or youth who have to be there.
I think you need to look at why they're cheating. Are they bored, lazy, or is the content too difficult for them?
Figuring out why they cheat will help you to change their behaviour by supplying content which they are interested in learning from.

You state that you supply the END file? Why do you do this? If the aim is for them to create the END file then surely they should only be getting a START file if they get anything at all.
Putting in Tainted content has the potential of creating a game like scenario, where their aim then becomes to find the hidden content. This isn't teaching, this is time consumption.

Lee Smith

Posted on 11/3/14 4:12:09 PM Permalink

Awesome points.

Age wise i have the range of those you mentioned. The ones who have to be here (straight out of highschool) and those who want to be here. The students in question want to be in the computer lab because they're popular on facebook or want to look at new tennis shoes and tech talks for the new iPhone. Then, somewhere in there, they realize they're going to pull a grade so they work on stuff. They half way want to do what we do but don't want to commit fully.

We are moving to CC but have been on CS5.5. I use the Classroom in a Book series as course material and the start and end files are supplied on the disk that comes with the book. The lessons state that the end files are there for reference so one can see what they are working towards.
This is the lab portion of the class. There's actual content delivered but the issue is coming on the work end. The "time consumption" end as you've put it.

Sjaani van den Berg

Posted on 11/4/14 1:26:48 AM Permalink

Use Classroom in a Book as a teacher reference not a course book. Create completely new assignments which don't have an 'End' file available to the students, that way there is no file they can cheat with.

No doubt you'll still have some who use other students files, but you can reduce that by making the assignments student choice so to speak. Instead of having all students produce an image of a 'chair' make the assignments focus on a required skill with the content being up to the students. If two or more do the same 'chair' then look at the possibilities of copying.