Tracking students who are employed

I currently track the employment history for many of our students who have graduated or have left before obtaining a degree, I use a Facebook page and am wondering if there is a better way to keep in touch with the students?

Products
  • Photoshop

Editing and compositing for photos, web and mobile app designs, 3D artwork, videos, and more.

• Illustrator

Create beautiful vector art and illustrations.

• InDesign

Craft elegant layouts at your desk or on the go.

Ratings
5 / 5 • 4 Ratings

Comments (9)

Write a reply...
or Join for free to view all comments and participate in the discussion.

Susan Mango Curtis

Posted on 11/16/16 6:08:21 PM Permalink

We use Facebook also but it really doesn't do anything but promote social networking and school spirit type conversations.

Susan Mango Curtis

Posted on 11/16/16 6:07:20 PM Permalink

​We survey students right before they leave the university for their careers. We also follow-up five years later with the survey to find out what they wished they had learned while in school and what they know now they want students to know. We also do 10 years out. In my opinion the market is dramatically changing we need to revisit alumni much more frequently.

Rishi Aacharya

Posted on 10/19/16 3:15:56 AM Permalink

We are using Facebook for Student Engagement and keeping our contact warm But I do feel that incase your employeed students gets an invite of doing Guest Blogging on your school's website ,they will feel motivated and you can get fresh content from them as well. I run an animation and media college in India www.veda-edu.com and we have student who is working in a local graphics desgining studio but he is a great help for us for out blogs as well. You can check some of the nice articles he has contributed https://www.veda-edu.com/blogs/

Rishi Aacharya

Posted on 10/19/16 3:15:38 AM Permalink

We are using Facebook for Student Engagement and keeping our contact warm But I do feel that in case your employed students gets an invite of doing Guest Blogging on your school's website ,they will feel motivated and you can get fresh content from them as well. I run an animation and media college in India www.veda-edu.com and we have a student who is working in a local graphics designing studio but he is a great help for us for out blogs as well. You can check some of the nice articles he has contributed https://www.veda-edu.com/blogs/

Denise Webb

Posted on 10/18/16 6:47:08 PM Permalink

​Facebook is a great way to stay in touch, and I use it with students AFTER they have graduated. The best thing that's worked for me is giving students an assignment to set up a Linked In Account as part of their senior portfolio. This connects them to other professionals and helps them start to think about building their own "brand"...shifting away from their high school persona and towards a more professional/business image. Once they finish setting up their account and I review it, they build connections through teachers and other students/colleagues. I usually endorse their credentials, and they can invite other teachers, employers, etc., to add to their endorsements. Students then have a working resume that they can keep up to date beyond high school. They can also check out job opportunities and stay on top of industry trends. I start this out by showing them my own linked in account, and demonstrate how I use it as a career building tool. I show them the job offers that pop in my inbox every week based upon my profile, and they begin to realize the value of self promotion. Once they graduate, I can just click or search on their connection to see what they've been up to. They can also email me if they need letters of reference, etc. following graduation. Hope this helps...and NO, I'm not a Linked In employee, just a teacher who finds it useful:-)

Rhitt Growl

Posted on 10/19/16 1:33:27 AM Permalink

Plus 1 to this. I do the same thing with my high school students and LinkedIn.​ Not to hijack the post but I came across this article yesterday geared towards creative professionals and the content of your LinkedIn account: ​3 Best Practices for Your LinkedIn Profile. You may want to add it and ​the video embedded in the page to your class resources. Also, in the video the presenter references a list of good examples of LinkedIn profiles of creative professionals. You can check out that list by ​clicking here. Good stuff that I will be sharing with my students.

Daniel, to add to your original post, tracking students has been something that our school has struggled with for years. We use Facebook to some extent but have yet to find a way to accurately track them. Our best resource has mostly been teaching keeping in touch with old students via email.

Cindy Kringelis

Posted on 7/14/18 7:18:34 PM Permalink

​Great links, Rhitt.

Cindy Kringelis

Posted on 7/14/18 7:19:25 PM Permalink

​Another +1.

Adobe Education

Posted on 10/18/16 2:35:32 PM Permalink

​Thanks for starting this discussion Daniel! It is really interesting to think about the best ways to track student success post-graduation. Adobe cares deeply about helping educators prepare students for successful careers and we'd love to hear from the community about the best ways to track that transition from school to career. We're eager to see more community members participate in this discussion.