David Smith
English and Student Publications Teacher

Adobe Tools and Scholastic Journalism

Hello!

I am taking over a broadcast journalism and a yearbook program next year at my high school in a large urban district in Ohio. I was wondering if anyone out there on the exchange is also teaching scholastic journalism or student publications and using Adobe tools. I would love to collaborate with anyone who is interested. Cheers!

David Smith

Products
Ratings
5 / 5 • 1 Rating

Comments (4)

Write a reply...
or Join for free to view all comments and participate in the discussion.

Jason Baranowski

Posted on 9/10/16 1:08:36 AM Permalink

Hi Dave,

How's it going so far? I'm a rep with Jostens on the East Coast and I help all of my schools with portfolio of Adobe products-- for any project in the school from yearbook (Monarch/YB Avenue) to video commercials (Premiere/Clip) and Tweets (Adobe Spark). Fully plugged into Adobe Creative Cloud and all of Jostens' resources to get it done. If there's any support we can provide you, let us know and we'll get you connected to the right people.

Thanks,

Jason

shannon page

Posted on 6/22/16 5:06:47 PM Permalink

Hey!

Have fun teaching J! It's the best! I taught yearbook for 14 years but have now moved into instructional technology. Here's a site I put together for our new yearbook teacher. It may look terrible but it serves the [limited] purpose. site

Our broadcast person uses Adobe Premiere.

Lisa Espinosa

Posted on 6/22/16 3:03:01 PM Permalink

I use Premiere pro for our broadcast journalism class.

Olga Kyle

Posted on 6/22/16 2:49:45 PM Permalink

That's great, David, congrats!

I only worked with the college-level media, but always enjoyed it! I had students with different levels of skills and I always found ways to put the more experienced folks in editorial positions and had them share the skills and help train the newbies. The students developed great friendships and support systems that lasted beyond their graduation dates.

I always started with story idea meetings right at the very beginning, and then the students learned as they worked on their projects as the more experienced students worked as their editors. Sometimes I had teams, sometimes individual projects. I had all students learn the basics of reporting first, but later I allowed them to choose between different types of storytelling (focus on photography and photo editing, or videography and video editing vs. writing, or layout, or web design).

It's also a great idea to look at something like the American Scholastic Press Association events and submit student work for review and the annual awards, it's such a great help and encouragement for the students.

I hope you have a great time!