Header
Catherine Codd Bower
Graphic Arts Instructor

Mac vs PC

I have been approached by my administrator to consider replacing the Mac computers in my classroom with PC. The Technology department does not like maintaining the Mac lab. I would like to get some feedback regarding current industry standards. What are you using in your classroom/business? Is Mac still the goto graphics platform?

Thanks for your input.

Products
  • Prelude

Metadata ingest, logging, and rough cuts.

• Adobe Experience Cloud

Build campaigns, manage advertising, and gain deep intelligence about your business.

• Typekit

Thousands of fonts from the world’s leading type foundries.

• Acrobat

The complete PDF solution for working anywhere. (includes desktop, web, and mobile access)

• Adobe Stock

Access millions of high-quality creative assets inside your favorite Creative Cloud apps.

• Audition

Audio recording, mixing, and restoration.

• Muse

Website design without coding.

• ColdFusion

A single platform for building and deploying web and mobile apps.

• Illustrator Draw

Create freeform vector designs on your mobile device.

• Adobe Capture CC

Turn any image into a color theme, vector graphic, brush, and more.

• Adobe Creative Cloud

Creative apps and services for everyone.

• Adobe Premiere Pro

Edit media in its native format and create productions for film, TV, and web.

• Premiere Clip

Create and edit videos on your mobile device.

• Dreamweaver

Design and develop modern, responsive websites.

• Digital Editions

Optimize your eBook reading experience across desktop and mobile, now with EPUB 3 support.

• Adobe Analytics Cloud

The core intelligence engine for your enterprise.

• RoboHelp

Create and deliver engaging Help, policy, and knowledge base content for any device.

• Photoshop

Editing and compositing for photos, web and mobile app designs, 3D artwork, videos, and more.

• Photoshop Mix

Creative mobile image editing.

• Story

Collaborative screenwriting, reporting, and scheduling tools

• Adobe Captivate

Create end-to-end eLearning for any device.

• Adobe Advertising Cloud

An end-to-end platform for managing advertising across TV and digital formats.

• Framemaker

Easily author and publish interactive, multilingual technical content across mobile, web, desktop, and print.

• Flash Player

Build responsive games and video content across browsers and OS versions.

• After Effects

Create motion graphics and visual effects for film, TV, video, and web.

• Adobe Sign

Create end-to-end digital workflows with trusted, legal e-signatures.

• Adobe Media Server

Flexible media delivery and real-time communication capabilities.

• Adobe Marketing Cloud

Give customers personal and relevant experiences across all marketing channels.

• Presenter

Transform your PowerPoint presentations into interactive eLearning content.

• InCopy

Make text edits and layout modifications without impacting designs.

• Adobe Spark

Adobe Spark is an easy-to-use tool that helps you turn your ideas into compelling social graphics, web stories, and animated videos

• Photoshop Fix

Retouch, restore, and share your photos on the go.

• Photoshop Sketch

Create expressive drawings and paintings using natural drawing tools.

• Adobe XD

Design, prototype, and share user experiences.

• Animate

Design interactive vector animations for multiple platforms.

• Portfolio

Create beautiful portfolio websites on desktop and mobile.

• Lightroom

The cloud-based photo service for people who love photography.

• Adobe Document Cloud

Accelerate business with all-digital document experiences.

• Connect

Desktop and mobile web conferencing platform for meetings, eLearning, and webinars.

• Bridge

Centralized desktop access for all your files and assets.

• Photoshop Elements

Organize, edit, create, and share your photos.

• Illustrator

Create beautiful vector art and illustrations.

• Adobe AIR

Distribute applications across multiple screens and platforms.

• InDesign

Craft elegant layouts at your desk or on the go.

• Business Catalyst

Business Catalyst is an all-in-one hosted Content Management System built for Digital Agencies and Business Owners.

• Dimension

Create photorealistic 3D images for branding, product shots, and package design.

• PhoneGap Build

Package mobile apps in the cloud.

• Photoshop Express

Fast, powerful editing on mobile devices.

• Behance

Showcase and discover creative work.

• Media Encoder

Output video files for any screen.

• LiveCycle

Automate the completion and processing of critical service forms.

• Adobe Scan

Go from paper to digital fast. Scan notes, documents, receipts, and more to PDF.

• Adobe Premiere Elements

Organize, edit, create, and share your videos.

• Lightroom Classic

Desktop-focused photo editing.

• Character Animator

Turn 2D artwork into live, animated characters.

• Adobe Captivate Prime

Deliver personalized learning experiences across multiple devices.

• Adobe Comp CC

Create design comps using your real assets and fonts.

• Brackets

A modern, open source text editor that understands web design.

• Fuse (Beta)

Make customized 3D models to power your designs.

Ratings
5 / 5 • 3 Ratings

Comments (14)

Write a reply...
or Join for free to view all comments and participate in the discussion.

LILIBETH CUISON

Posted on 8/15/18 4:48:21 AM Permalink

we use MAC for our multimedia lab in class since most of our IT industry partners uses MAC for multimedia design so we want our students comfortable with MAC environment

Matt French

Posted on 8/8/18 4:22:03 AM Permalink

​I currently use Mac for personal projects and my work and as a professional artist I used a combination of Windows, Mac and Linux. I love OSX and my Macbook pro, but the idea that "Macs are good at graphics" is at least 15 years out of date.

Adobe has long ago brought the Windows and Mac versions of apps into line, so in that sense, it will make ZERO difference to your work(flow). It used to be the case, way, waaaaay back in the day that the Mac versions were better than the Windows versions, but now? Completely negligible. If anything, Mac now lags because of the lack of affordable graphics / memory expansion options.

​Where it might be an issue is with other software, such as Microsoft Office, where the Mac versions are very much NOT up speed with Windows versions.

​If it comes to bang for back, Windows / PC wins hands down.

Lukas Engqvist

Posted on 8/1/18 7:43:57 PM Permalink

​I like the features built in on Quicktime making it easy to record screen and/or device. I know there are other alternatives for PC but as said in other posts it is the software that is most important.

resa oglesby

Posted on 7/28/18 1:48:43 PM Permalink

​I believe I've finally getting my own lab but with PCs. I don't think that will be an issue, because I think I'm really good in finding out how I can make the best of things. Regardless, I don't think it really matters these days what platform you work with. Designers and artist make it happen with what they got.

Anthony Aromando

Posted on 7/7/18 3:45:17 PM Permalink

​I use PCs at home and at school. I do own a Mac and have used both for many year. The Adobe software is the same no matter which platform you use. There is no real advantage to using a Mac. Usually it's just a matter of personal preference as to the look and feel of the operating system. Once your in Adobe CC, it's the same except perhaps a few Keyboard Shortcuts. Of course, regardless of platform, you want a fast CPU lots of RAM, nVidia Video card and big, fast hard drives (Solid State Drives would be the best). PCs will probably be much cheaper for the same configuration on a Mac. You may notice may Adobe tutorials are using PCs. Also, PCs are very easy to upgrade components such as memory, hard drives etc. Hope this helps.

Carlos Andres Orozco Palacio

Posted on 5/1/18 6:51:37 PM Permalink

​macOS or Windows this is a old discussion for all the time, i think in this right moment depend on whats you need to teach in the labs and if all tool you need to teach be in windows or mac, PC bring to you more customization and lowcost maintaining, for Adobe tool all the tool have macOS or Windows version, the experience and work flow dont change, only change the operating system, for my i love macOS and i am macUser but dont have any problem if need to use windows.

Tracey Tutt

Posted on 5/1/18 9:41:51 AM Permalink

​It's the software you can put on the computer that is more important than the computer OS. So make sure what you want to teach is available on the platform you go with! Obviously either brand needs to have the right hardware/graphics card to enable being able to use the software.

Jeremy Pidhirny

Posted on 4/24/18 12:26:54 PM Permalink

In my role as art teacher and Educational Technology coordinator for my high school I can say it really doesn't matter what platform you use. I use both PC and Mac seamlessly every day. My laptop is a Macbook Air and I also use a Dell Desktop. Both work equally well. The PC does have the advantage of running more 3D design software. Adobe CC Cloud makes it super easy to share the files back and forth between the platforms.

Kendall James

Posted on 4/18/18 6:39:20 AM Permalink

Hi Catherine- I am fortunate to work at a school which provides both platforms for students. Personally I believe if you can manage to intergrate both into your curriculum your students will certainly be silently thanking you for years to come! If I had a dollar for every time I heard someone say "No sorry don't know how to use a mac I have a PC" (vice versa!). That's not next gen talk I'm sure ! Try keep both - you can only ask :)

Kendall

Catherine Codd Bower

Posted on 4/13/18 3:54:06 PM Permalink

​Great discussion. Thank you for the feedback. I have an advisory meeting next week and will include your feedback. I appreciate the time.

Hisham Attia

Posted on 4/13/18 10:25:49 AM Permalink

​Hi Catherine

you may even want to start thinking about tablets for schools (rather than thinking about Mac versus PC). You will be surprised what so many schools are doing right now. In this case you may want to definitely look into the new iPad and Apple’s proposition to schools.

Sharkawi Che Din

Posted on 4/10/18 11:04:11 AM Permalink

​Been using Mac since PowerMac until today. Although it is just a tool, but overall performance and friendly user interface contributes to the ease the creative flows.

Marek Mularczyk

Posted on 3/16/18 1:34:42 PM Permalink

A computer is a computer. As long as it's got hardware properly configured and is being taken care of will do the job.

I use both on my courses and they do the job.

Personally, I have used PCs for many years and they have always been superb and quite frankly much faster than any iMac I have used....

And Adobe software is the same works the same, it all depends on the hardware and both platforms use the same hardware nowadays (Intel CPUs, AMD GPUs, etc) and are equally powerful when probably configured.

Judy Durkin

Posted on 3/6/18 8:46:05 PM Permalink

Mac still dominates the industry, but Mac people have a harder time moving to PCs than PC people to Macs. Macs are nice, but cost too much for most school districts. I work on a PC and have for years because it is easier to pass-off files and documents to corporate clients. I have worked in four different districts, and none of them had Macs. It would be nice to get a Mac Lab, but I think I would rather have a color printer in my classroom.

Footer