Taura VanAken
Visual Arts Teacher

Game Design / Animation in High School

Is there other high school teachers out there teaching Game Design and/or Animation? What tools do you use? I would love to hear about your experiance and how your classes are going.

Products
  • Photoshop

Editing and compositing for photos, web and mobile app designs, 3D artwork, videos, and more.

• Adobe Spark

Adobe Spark is an easy-to-use tool that helps you turn your ideas into compelling social graphics, web stories, and animated videos

• Character Animator

Turn 2D artwork into live, animated characters.

Ratings
5 / 5 • 2 Ratings

Comments (3)

Write a reply...
or Join for free to view all comments and participate in the discussion.

Phil Walker

Posted on 10/16/19 12:01:21 AM Permalink

​I teach Multimedia and we start with an illustrator landscape project to build up their illustration skills. The following project is an animation in after effects using assets created in Illustrator. The end result is a 2.5D style animation that work well for this age group (year 9/10). The flat layers are animated in the 3D environment of After effects. I usually have students doing their year 12 major project in a range of programs from After effects, Animate as well as Maya or Blender.

Lauren Petiti

Posted on 10/10/19 9:45:36 PM Permalink

​I teach 3 different levels of animation (all in the same period). Currently I use Maya, Adobe Animate, and Adobe Character animator. Many of my students have taken the independent projects I assign them and design their own projects, usually in Photoshop. It is a wonderful class that is creative and the students are not afraid to take risk. The biggest problem we have is keeping up with the tech/software requirements.

I tend to teach a combination of 3d modeling/film principles because that was my background in college. However, I do encourage my students to independently explore things like game design and teach me about them. Through this, the students have really been able to create a truly collaborative environment where they're both learning and teaching.

I hope this helps; I'm happy to give more insight.

Matt Dombrowski

Posted on 6/3/18 2:43:14 PM Permalink

​Taura,

I teach in higher ed game design, there are plenty of amazing tools for both animation and game design. Obviously, Adobe has a pretty strong animation tool set library in After Effects, Animate and Character Animator. I have more recently discovered Adobe XD. If you haven't used XD it is a great prototyping tool for interactive apps. My game students actually use it to paper prototype their games. I see you have experience in PS and SP, both seamlessly incorporate with XD.

I've noticed in my game design classes that even before the code and the complex interactions its important to have the students plan a strong paper prototype, narrative and workflow outline. Using a tool like XD allows my students to get a very polished product and discover kinks in the experience even before it is put into production. I typically give them around 2-3 weeks to produce a game design doc that includes the paper prototype. After that they can create a more effective gantt chart and really organize their experiences more effectively throughout the semester.

Best of luck with your class! Making games is great!

Matt

School of Visual Arts & Design

University of Central Florida

Limbitless Solutions