XR - VR/AR/MR - impact on learning
I'm currently working on a learning and teaching event poster on VR and empathy - both in designing the experience with empathy for the user and to have empathy as a learning outcome. I thought I'd start a discussion on the impact of these immersive technologies on learning.
First, to define the terms in basic terms
- VR - Virtual Reality - an immersive experience that is all in a computer simulated reality.
- AR - Augmented Reality - a live overlay of digital to a real-world environment.
- MR - Mixed Reality - hybrid reality - mixing of real and virtual worlds to create new environments that co-exist in real-time.
- XR - eXtended Reality - the umbrella term for VR, AR and MR.
The questions for this discussion is:
- What learning outcomes that are best facilitated through XR, what is the impact and what are the best practices to achieve them?
To start the discussion, I have found some articles worth looking at:
- How Virtual Reality Will Change How We Learn and How We Teach (Adobe blog 1/9/18)
- Getting Started with Virtual Reality: Five Principles from Three Designers Working in VR (Adobe blog 1/5/18)
- The User Experience of Virtual Reality: Human-Centered Design Principles for VR
Here are some more recent links: