Do schools kill creativity?

Please post your comments after watching this video:

http://www.ted.com/talks/ken_robinson_says_schools_kill_creativity?language=en

Thank you!

Ratings
5 / 5 • 3 Ratings

Comments (5)

Write a reply...
or Join for free to view all comments and participate in the discussion.

Victor Gonzalez

Posted on 12/2/19 9:11:12 AM Permalink

Creativity can be taught in forward-thinking schools. Adobe allows this and more. There is always room for creativity but many schools follow a tight old-fashioned industrialization educational structure that seems to ​stop many students and schools teachers from being fully creative.

Patrick Harrison

Posted on 11/3/15 9:10:09 PM Permalink

Sometimes I think we are trying to define creativity in the wrong sense. It is not a thing, it is a putative process. Something as simple as viewing an old problem from a new frame of reference can lead to a significant creative solution. Adobe Creative Cloud and AEE, facilitate creativity is a number of ways such as visualization, sharing, dynamics, history and a new world view... and many more. I, therefore, submit that creativity is a Quantum concept. The notion of teaching creativity in the classroom is myopic and can lead to the wrong perspective and potentially bad practices. Over 40 years of educating at one of finest Universities, I witnessed the slow erosion of the fundamental skills in first year students in; english, mathematics, communicating and problem solving.

Gordon Inman

Posted on 11/9/15 2:43:50 PM Permalink

I may not understand your thinking fully, so please feel free to correct me. What I take from your comment is that creativity cannot be taught and it is a fundamental aspect of everything/everyone. And to some extent I think this is true - that everyone has the ability to be creative. The problem I see is that not everyone has or knows how to use the tools, for lack of a better word, to fully utilize that creativity. So shouldn't we try to teach ways to take advantage of their creativity? Wouldn't/Couldn't this potentially help with improving the fundamental skills as students try to apply things they learn in different ways.

tom perazzo

Posted on 11/3/15 4:10:23 PM Permalink

I agree - Look up Sugita Mitra for an entertaining explanation of the outdated model. It works fine - it's not broken it's just outdated. My classroom / lab is out in the back of the campus by the nature preserve. If I had to teach traditional subjects in the main building I'd be looking for another profession. Teaching Digital Media / Video Game Art & Design I fly under the radar and inspire creativity. I wish we put as much effort into CTE as we do AP courses. Not very kid is going to go to Harvard or UC Berkeley....

Christian Gutierrez

Posted on 9/22/15 11:09:22 AM Permalink

Yes, if you run an education system based on standardization and conformity that suppresses individuality, and imagination.I’ve been pushing for more balanced and individualized and creative approaches to education. In the last year, I hear people everywhere saying how exasperated they are by the deadening effects of testing and standardization on them, their children, or their friends. That's why Ken Robinson argues for an end to our outmoded industrial educational system and proposes a highly personalized, organic approach that draws on today’s unprecedented technological and professional resources to engage all students, develop their love of learning, and enable them to face the real challenges of the twenty-first century.