Valery Keibler
Director of Faculty and Staff Development

Is there is a "have" and "have-not" culture in the area of creativity?

Do you see a gap between individuals who are thought to "have" creativity and those who claim to "not have" creativity? If you see it, what might contribute to this gap?

Keywords
Ratings
5 / 5 • 5 Ratings

Comments (9)

Write a reply...
or Join for free to view all comments and participate in the discussion.

Mary Trees

Posted on 11/8/14 12:50:35 AM Permalink

Creativity takes a deeper level of thinking about a topic, and students who tend to lack creativity don't participate in this type of thought often. Any student can be creative, they just have to be taught or prompted to be. So it is not because they do not have the ability to be creative, but maybe don't know how to tap into that outlet just yet. It is a imperative skill, especially when it comes to problem solving.

Derek Cooper

Posted on 9/12/14 8:38:05 PM Permalink

I think there can be a gap, only because again, some view creativity as less important than other aspects of education. So the creative students may feel less creative when matched against more "scholarly" students who may be creative too. I think the more standards we create as far as creativity will level the playing field. Also, the more we provide encouragement and positive feedback to all students, the more they will feel the positive aspects of free expression, which to me, drives the creative force.

kent thompson

Posted on 9/3/14 4:19:40 AM Permalink

Creativity is not drawn from a blank slate. There are numerous influences that affect a person before they are able to express their creativity. Children whose parents talk to them or play music while still in the womb, babies exposed to verbal and visual stimuli, and toddlers allowed access to the tools to demonstrate their muses' influence up to that point in their lives are all more prone to getting their adults' attention. Once the grownups get involved additional resources are pumped into their developing minds. As long as negative influences are minimized or mitigated the creative process continues to develop.

Jody Campbell

Posted on 8/21/14 4:41:48 PM Permalink

We are all born with the same blank slate and some endeavor in exercises that build their creative abilities. So lets use the example of drawing...anyone can draw but some do it better than others because they have been taught and they studied techniques and they practice regularly and think about it, they analyze it regularity and those activities build up that skill. Same with creativity. Those that use it more often are better at it than those who do not....if you don't use it you lose it!

sandro c mendes

Posted on 8/21/14 4:49:52 PM Permalink

that's the point Jody Campbell, that's the point. You are exactly right!

Damien Soukhavong

Posted on 8/21/14 1:56:19 PM Permalink

I'm not sure if there is, but the environment has a significant role between "have" and "not have" creativity.

What I learnt from teaching are:

• Shy people usually love expressing creativity when you give them the right environment, i.e not stressing them with people around, not being aggressive, understanding them ; they also seek out intrinsically a way to overcome it (and this is where comprehension is extremely important with them)
  • Open people usually love sharing their creativity no matter the environment you give them, unless it's a dramatic one
  • "Open-minded" people usually hate sharing their creativity when they are in a very offending environment (like when you give them 3 or 4 warnings)

As we've seen in the Week 8 (if you're already at it), for student itself is not only a source of creativity, the environment has a massive role in it (both positively and negatively). Other teachers probably have different opinions on this.

sandro c mendes

Posted on 8/18/14 1:14:24 PM Permalink

ativity is a cognitive process, can be learned in that sense everyone has creativity, some use it and some do not, those who do not use can be encouraged to use in day-to-day, in daily life and thus will use for all things .

Bhuvana Sriram

Posted on 8/18/14 9:06:05 AM Permalink

Yes I see the gap between individuals who are thought to 'have' and 'not have' creativity. As Robinson said creativity can be taught , I feel that they require training or exposure to such atmosphere where they can train their brain to think differently. If such situations frequently occurs I think creativity will emerge automatically.

Valery Keibler

Posted on 8/18/14 10:44:41 AM Permalink

Good observation - maybe training in creativity should be looking for opportunities to seek out individuals who think they are not creative?