Why Generosity Is The Key To Success

Posted on Jul 31, 2013 by Mike Skocko Latest activity: Dec 29, 2016

6 6,198
  • 5 4 Ratings

I read an article recently that may require one to suspend disbelief in order to truly appreciate the deeper message. Pay It Forward: Why Generosity Is The Key To Success suggests we fit into three basic categories: Givers, Matchers, and Takers.

Back in March of 2011 I recorded a video entitled Confessions of a Video Tutorial Junkie. In it, I confess that I get far more out of sharing than I ever put in. In essence, by being a Giver, I get more than any Taker ever will.

If you want to be a professional Taker, watch the video and consider the edu-riches I've reaped.

I encounter educators all the time who say they don't have time to share or that they're uncomfortable taking a step into the big, bad, scary Web 2.0 world or, worst of all, they simply want to clutch their lessons to their chest: They're MINE! I worked hard to create these!

It's not touchy-feely new age nonsense; the more you give, the more you get. Be selfish. Share every good idea that you have with as many people as possible.

Yes? No? Why? Why not?

Comments (6)

David Badgley

Posted on Dec 29, 2016 12:46 PM - Permalink

​Great Concept and the ability to pass the request off to someone even more qualified to offer a longer term solution is great. I have lived in two different cultures where it is impossible to say no... even if you can't or don't know how to help.

uma ravi

Posted on Jul 16, 2014 11:31 AM - Permalink

I agree to this .The mor we give the more we get with a few exceptions.The phrase give and take works good.

Matthew Miller

Posted on Nov 30, 2013 4:42 PM - Permalink

Absolutely true. I've heard the touchy-feely new-age folks call this "the way the universe works" and similar nebulous phrases. On a practical side, what I've seen happen is that every time I share something, people who find what I made and shared and it helps some of them. The ones that it helps, or intriqued, contact me and share ideas, further resources, similar experiences, and so on. So I always end up getting more out than I ever put in.

Brian Dawson

Posted on Aug 17, 2013 1:55 PM - Permalink

Right on Mike. I am TOTALLY with you on this. For everything I give, I get twice back without every looking for it! Spread the word!

G Tomas Corsini Sr

Posted on Aug 5, 2013 2:10 AM - Permalink

I agree with you Mike, and I'm sure, as with anything, there are some exceptions, but by and large, the rule stands in my book!

"... the more you give, the more you get!"

Thank you for sharing this piece.

Matthew Miller

Posted on Nov 30, 2013 4:43 PM - Permalink

I'd disagree that there are exceptions. IME they only seem like exceptions; when I dig further, I invariable have found out that I got back in ways I hadn't considered...in excess of my original contribution, every time.