Nancy Parker
Educational Consultant

School technology management

Need a little help researching best practice for teachers:

How is the technology managed at the school location at your district.

Please indicate the following:

Type of school: Elementary, Middle, High, College

Type of control classroom teachers have for school owned laptops: Complete(I may install software, update, and manage applications); Power user (I may install, uninstall and manage application and software but I am not able to make major user and system changes; User with update access (I am able to update readers like pdf reader, players such as flash player and software plugins and browser settings; Restricted (I am able to use it but I have no access to change any software or settings)

What type of control would you prefer?

Are you completely satisfied with the level of control that you have?

Do you find any limitations, frustrations, or concerns that limit your technology usage?

Thanks in advance.

Products
Ratings
4 / 5 • 2 Ratings

Comments (3)

Write a reply...
or Join for free to view all comments and participate in the discussion.

Nancy Parker

Posted on 8/9/13 12:59:32 PM Permalink

Thank you for posting to this discussion. I believe that technology leaders use this exchange and through the discussion we will be able to guide the future for "instructional technology!" I will surely work to make it more user friendly both in terms of hardware, software, and policy.

Aaron Roberts

Posted on 8/7/13 11:01:33 PM Permalink

Type of school: High School

Type of control classroom teachers have on laptops: Teachers can make basic updates to the software, but can't really install their own software.

What do I prefer: I like unrestricted access - especially knowing IT can just wipe out and clean my computer if needed. I happen to have a bit more rights to my teacher machine because of what I teach. However, other teachers in the building have more restrictions and find it very frustrating.

Usually, we can get a website unblocked if we have a strong reason for it. We fortunately never blocked YouTube. However, FB and Twitter are blocked. I'm sensing a bit of a bend on the subject of Twitter, but not FB.

Dan Armstrong

Posted on 7/29/13 12:58:51 AM Permalink

Type of school: High School

Type of control classroom teachers have for school owned laptops: User with update access (I am able to update readers like pdf reader, players such as flash player and software plugins and browser settings;

What type of control would you prefer? I enjoy unrestricted rights but most teachers do not get this opportunity

Are you completely satisfied with the level of control that you have? I love my situation but it causes issues for other teachers and their desire to innovate.

Do you find any limitations, frustrations, or concerns that limit your technology usage? I am limited when it comes to social networks. Not option to access Facebook, Twitter, or anything of the sort.