Share
Ciera Hall
Graphic Communications Teacher

Grading "Creativity"

Can "creativity" be graded? If so, how do you grade a students "creativity" in an assignment? If not, why? Let's Talk!

Products
Ratings
5 / 5 • 2 Ratings

jeffrey plummer

Posted on Jun 14, 2017 2:15:27 PM   Permalink


Best Answer

​I have found that not only students but parents question your ability to grade based on creativity. I create rubric that generally is based on 70% on the skills I want the students to practice and master. The remaining 30% is presenting the finished project to their classmates in a professional manner that includes vocabulary use,elements and principals of design,color theory, and what the purpose was of the finished design.

Comments (3)

Write a reply...
or Join for free to view all comments and participate in the discussion.

Audrey Wrobel

Posted on Dec 5, 2017 3:38:35 AM Permalink

​I took the Assessing Creativity in Today’s Classroom workshop on here, I found it useful to note. You can view it here: https://edex.adobe.com/professional-development/workshop/creativity-assess/

For a particular project, you have design specs to fill in your own creativity rubric. In general, the 8 forms of creativity provides descriptors you can employ in giving timely feedback to your students.

Ed Kanet

Posted on Sep 22, 2017 6:31:11 PM Permalink

Creativity is gradable if you break it down into quantifiable objective criteria. In my rubric, I define Creativity as Excellent if it demonstrates effort, to apply multiple effects, approaches, techniques. It is about what they tried and executed appropriately. I explain to students that being creative requires trying new things, being courageous in that effort; failing is OK. Creativity doesn't mean it is popular or understood. It is about effort and originality, creating something that is new and different and not just cliché. Messaging (carrying the message to the audience) is a lot about content, not creativity. It is measured separately.eé

Design uses another set of criteria. The one thing I tell students is subjective is Impact. Different people react to what they see differently. I assign a value to Impact based on my subjective reaction: it is my immediate, first impression (do I think "too busy", do I feel "amazed"). This subjectivity is assigned points and is explained why the reaction is elicited.

A design can have great impact, but really do poorly in creativity. For example, just throwing something "sexual" into the mix (because "sex sells") may attract attention, but it really is a lazy (and non-creative) way to get attention.

Creativity can be measured as the effort to think and apply a variety of approaches. That can be quantifiable and thus gradable.

jeffrey plummer

Posted on Jun 14, 2017 2:15:27 PM Permalink


Best Answer

​I have found that not only students but parents question your ability to grade based on creativity. I create rubric that generally is based on 70% on the skills I want the students to practice and master. The remaining 30% is presenting the finished project to their classmates in a professional manner that includes vocabulary use,elements and principals of design,color theory, and what the purpose was of the finished design.