Header
Jessica Gauci
Teacher

Best uses for Adobe InDesign in Education?

Hi all

I would like to know your thoughts, ideas and opinions on the best way to use InDesign in Education.

Jess :)

Products
Ratings
5 / 5 • 2 Ratings

Comments (11)

Write a reply...
or Join for free to view all comments and participate in the discussion.

jeffrey plummer

Posted on 4/6/17 4:44:35 PM Permalink

​We have integrated English and Math into our CTE classroom. Having students create a magazine cover with an article inside and images (3 pages) gives them writing skills as well as math skills as they determine and layout columns,gutters and image size. I also give them a percentage of page space for images thta support their writing. This eliminates only images on the inside.

Nirupama Narasimhan

Posted on 10/30/15 11:54:02 AM Permalink

We can use InDesign to create:

1. Calendars for class schedule
  2. Posters for illustrating concepts
  3. Flyers & Leaflets for publicizing class events
  4. Stickers for grading
  5. Invitation & Greeting cards
  6. Letterhead and business cards for teachers
  7. Booklets for reports, syllabi
  8. Interactive PDF form for course feedback

The last time I gave students a set of 3 projects: Design a poster for an event, a Newsletter and cookery book with at least 4 recipes.

Michael Buelens

Posted on 8/19/15 11:08:14 AM Permalink

Hi Jessica,

for my professional activities I use Indesign for a number of things like textbooks, inquiries (interactive forms), digital attendance lists, training programs, presentations. I never use Word or powerpoint since I have Indesign.

If you want to use it with students I think it has some great collaboration opportunities when you use a book file and shared CC libraries or to create occasional publications like flyers and posters.

Lukas Engqvist

Posted on 8/8/15 3:28:11 PM Permalink

I teach higher education graphic design, so it is one of our main tools. Having said that I do notice that it is becoming more and more difficult to teach InDesign because students are less familiar with books, and how they work. (here I mean novels, scientific studies, fact books, art books, reference books etc). Besides helping them rediscover how grammar is built, and that shaping a content without taking part of it is pointless. I find I need to spend time teaching what an index is, how does a cross-reference work, how to use a glossary… I think the need to teach how to structure information is of growing importance.

I use the presentation mode and stopped using powerpoint, but then it gives me the ability to quickly jump into all features when I am explaining typography or some other graphic subject.

Interactivity is fun and with the new publish online feature is becoming easily accessible. Even with a free Adobe ID it is possible to publish interactive documents from indesign and share on social media.

Brett Kent

Posted on 8/8/15 9:47:12 PM Permalink

That is a very interesting point, that your students are no longer familiar with books. Raises the question, that if we are no longer consuming books, then why do we still need to follow the traditional book structure?

Lukas Engqvist

Posted on 8/9/15 12:35:04 PM Permalink

I don't think they are learning a better structure than traditional books. Rejecting something because you don't know it is not progress in my opinion.

Andrew Lai

Posted on 8/8/15 12:54:59 PM Permalink

Hi Jess,

I recently took over the co-ordination of the school yearbook. I have just begun teaching InDesign to my Year 9 class and they will be responsible for different sections of the yearbook! We will also be using InDesign to create an interactive e-version for our website which will be updated till the end of year. The interactive features for InDesign are quite fun to use and can be adapted to make website mockups.

Riady Santoso

Posted on 8/3/16 11:39:50 AM Permalink

Hi Andrew,
It's a great idea to collaborate with the students to create yearbook and interactive e-book version. How did it come up? Was it a successful project?

Brett Kent

Posted on 8/4/15 8:56:00 PM Permalink

For both staff and students I think it is a fantastic industry level tool for publishing. At a school level it is great for newsletters and school magazines. However I have always found InDesign a good tool for teaching app design and lay out for various screens and page sizes. The interactive buttons and page links make it such a good way to introduce the fundamentals of app design in a very basic way. It is like 'interactive' publishing.

Especially with younger students

Jessica Gauci

Posted on 8/6/15 3:48:30 AM Permalink

Hey Brett!
Sounds fantastic! InDesign is one of my favourite Adobe programs. I use it for designing workbooks, textbooks, resources and guides. Very interesting to hear how you use it. Thank you for sharing! :)

Kimberly Sparks

Posted on 10/30/15 12:21:54 AM Permalink

I am interested in creating a monthly newsletter to send to the parents of my special education students. I am hoping that I can easily learn InDesign and begin creating one. I believe that it will be a great way to let my parents know what will be upcoming in the classroom and provide tools that they can use at home with their children.

Footer