Shelly Gooden
Graduate Student

Beyond passive - Beyond repurposing - Moving away from slides to interaction and innovation

As educators we are likely to have created a favorite learning aid. How do we use Adobe tools to transform those learning aids into interactive learning experiences? More than this, how do we help ourselves and other educators avoid simply "repurposing" things such as slides and handouts? We have all seen it done. "Repurposed", boring handouts, smashed into an Adobe tool such as Captivate or Acrobat...but the handout just sits there doing nothing! How do you inspire your educators to make things come alive? I look forward to your thoughts and insights!

Products
Ratings
5 / 5 • 6 Ratings

Comments (8)

Write a reply...
or Join for free to view all comments and participate in the discussion.

Ahmed Belal

Posted on 12/2/18 5:40:17 AM Permalink

​Thanks for sharing

DIane Karius

Posted on 5/15/18 4:04:51 PM Permalink

As a faculty member who does create interactive handouts using another product (and who has used Creative Cloud products for web-based teaching), I'll echo the time issue, but add resources (some elements of creative cloud are provided, but I personally pay for more tools that I want to use), and a lack of expertise (we have no instructional tech support). I know what I want to create, but I don't have the time to teach myself how to do what I want to do.

Sir Shafiq

Posted on 4/22/17 9:22:41 PM Permalink

I find this discussion very unique and I am knowing new things​

Tammy Moore

Posted on 7/21/16 8:30:31 PM Permalink

Time and inspiration - Usually when we go with the boring way to do it, it is because we don't have enough time or we don't have enough inspiration. Creativity is hard work, so we need the time so we can plan it out when we are not exhausted, learn new techniques, and then apply them in creative ways. Inspiration helps us to grow in our ability to come up with more ways to do things than the same old methods.
For inspiration, I keep an electronic notebook and Pinterest boards so when I have a quick place to collect ideas and the work of others that make me feel excited and want to stretch to new levels like they have.

Time is a tougher one for me. I run an online educational co-op non-profit that is all volunteer. That means few workers and lots of hats to wear. With over 8000 accounts we are as big as medium-sized colleges without the many staff members of a medium-sized college for support. My favorite task is creating lessons and courses though, so I make time for it as best I can. It refills my batteries. My background before the project began almost 12 yeas ago was an illustrator and portrait artist, oddly enough. You never know what twists and turns life will offer. These skills have been put to work big time in the many courses we have built. Being a creative in an administrative role by necessity means I have to have my creative outlets mixed in or I would go nuts. lol

The project is at http://www.virtualhomeschoolgroup.org/. We use Captivate heavily now which I really love because you can do so much with it. Try out one of my proof of concept where I tried to see if it would be possible to build a course as a game. It is based on Chemicus since I wanted to know if it would work first before putting in all the time to make all the graphics for a complete from-scratch build. It worked so well that we are working on a Marine Biology course made in Captivate where the entire course is experienced in the story line. Even the assessments are activities within the story line. The kids really don't even feel like they are doing homework or a test when they are playing a first person character and doing an in-game puzzle. Another fun thing about the Marine Biology project is that it is being built across a few years with student teams. They are the builders with adults jumping in merely where they fall a little short on the skills they need. We had a Captivate team for the interaction planning and design, a Photoshop team for the backdrops and some of the graphics, and an Illustrator team for the character aspects since we wanted animations. We had to pause the project last year die to an incredibly heavy schedule as we moved to a new server and rebuilt courses to take advantage of features in the new Moodle, but I hope to get it front burnered again this school year. Here is a little peek in one of the student designed pieces. It was done in Edge Animate, so we will have to rebuild it in Flash since Edge Animate was dropped, but it shows what students can do with the tools, training, and teamwork.

Shannion Forrester

Posted on 6/26/16 9:49:02 AM Permalink

Hi Shelly,

I am exploring motion graphics to create 'flipped' lessons. I am also incorporating the use of QR codes to give students opportunities to explore links at leisure with their own device. I am starting to use QR codes to link to presentations and pages created with Adobe Spark, videos and sites.

I am really keen to learn other ways that teachers are engaging students.

Great discussion topic!

Claire Richards

Posted on 6/19/16 12:31:32 AM Permalink

For me one way of making documents and resources come 'alive' is making them 'live' documents. That way the information is always up to date. I'm not sure how to inspire other teachers to make their documents interactive. Maybe it is a matter of starting from a blank slate?

Shannion Forrester

Posted on 6/26/16 9:40:29 AM Permalink

Hi Claire,

Could you give me some insight into a 'live' document is?

Thanks in advance.

Claire Richards

Posted on 6/26/16 1:15:56 PM Permalink

Hello Shannion,

A 'live' document is a jargon way of saying an online document that is stored in the cloud. So it is created and edited in a place like Google Docs. What makes it useful is that it is updated regularly, or irregularly but the information is always current because it is the latest copy. Maybe google an explanation because I think I just made it worse, sorry.

Claire