Tony Crewe
Teacher

Dreamweaver v MUSE versus other online web generators (eg WIX)

Sometimes you wish to focus on a practical but limited web site where design rather than css or coding is needed.

In which Case Dreamweaver may not be necessary - what are peoples experiences with MUSE and or sites like WIX as the web site creation tool. I have experience with WIX and I am pretty impressed. If MUSE is a preferred option, why?

Products
Ratings
5 / 5 • 2 Ratings

Comments (9)

Write a reply...
or Join for free to view all comments and participate in the discussion.

Sjaani van den Berg

Posted on 10/11/14 2:40:14 AM Permalink

Have you tried Muse yet Tony?
There's a two week crash course available at the moment which looks like it will be a nice introduction to the program. It opened yesterday so not too late to join it if you want to. https://edex.adobe.com/pd/course/web/

With regard to your question, I agree with Kim, it really depends on the educational objective, each program has its pros and cons, limitations and focus. I think the best option from an educational perspective is to offer knowledge of as many options as possible, then let the student decide which tool is best for a specific occasion.

Some like to see the code and will use those tools no matter how much easier others would say design based is.

Tony Crewe

Posted on 10/19/14 7:51:20 AM Permalink

Thanks for thinking of me Sjaani - timing is difficult now.

Hopefully, this or a similar course will be repeated.

To answer your question, at present, my students are using wix.com the create pages without code.

KIM CAVANAUGH

Posted on 10/10/14 7:44:59 PM Permalink

As always, it depends on our educational objective.

If your objective is to teach students design principles such as layout, color theory, user interface principles, and etc. then I suppose a service such as Wix or Weebly might do the trick. Drag and drop, change some colors, make some edits, things look pretty and work well and away you go.

On the other hand, if your objective is to teach students how to make completely custom creations and the skills necessary to work as a web designer/developer, then you absolutely, positively must understand both HTML and CSS. Dreamweaver does an awesome job with both of those with its numerous code and visualization tools. Muse does code too of course, but focuses more on animation and visual effects.

Charles Sanchez

Posted on 10/10/14 12:06:09 PM Permalink

You are right on about the future of web design and I really have noticed the changes just in the past 4 years. Nothing is ever permanent but CHANGE!

Charles Sanchez

Posted on 10/10/14 12:04:24 PM Permalink

Jody Campbell

Posted on 8/3/14 2:25:38 PM Permalink

I just posted a similar comment in another discussion but it applies to this one as well. Coding as a requirement for design is on its way out. You no longer have to know PostScript to build a ILL file so why do you need to know HTML to design a website? Programs like Muse are the first step in the right direction. In the not so far future I see developers writing scripts that are dragged and dropped by designers to add functions to websites. I for one am looking forward to that day!

Alisha Crawford

Posted on 10/10/14 8:31:22 PM Permalink

Yeah I agree, as someone who loves design coding slowed me down but Iearned and we def appreciate dragging and dropping so meanwhile I use alot of jquery scripts it helps and any "pre-made" scripts to ease the coding work.

Mark Underwood

Posted on 7/30/14 3:47:22 PM Permalink

In North Carolina, we teach the course, Digital Media, which incorporates Animation, Graphics, Audio, Video, and Web Design. It is difficult to go very deep on any one subject when covering so many areas in a limited time, . For Web Design, I use Dreamweaver only to introduce the basics concepts and terms. By building a simple site with minimal page content and using Split-view, students are exposed to File Management, HTML, CSS, JavaScript, and WYSIWYG editing. They do not become programers in that short amount of time, but they do become aware that all GUI works because of Code.

When we near the end of semester, I have them create a digital portfolio by building a web site in Weebly. It is a web hosting service similar to WIX that provides good directions on Planning and Designing a Website. Through their educational license, I am able to have the students work in a controlled sandbox-environment.

I have not spent time yet working with Muse; but, I understand from a fellow teacher that it is very much a design-based content management system and worthy of exploration.

Tony Crewe

Posted on 7/30/14 10:15:31 PM Permalink

Thanks for information Mark.