Phil Feain
Teacher

What do you think about offering workshops to students out of hours?

Due to the timings of curriculum and assessment in the classroom I am finding that students can get through several years of IT and still not be exposed to some software that could be good for them to learn to use. And if they are, not to the level of detail that I would like. I am also seeing students not studying IT wishing to learn to use software, particularly PhotoShop, Illustrator, InDesign and Dreamweaver. They seem to know that it is worth their while having some experience with these tools.

So I am thinking of offering student workshops after school for students to get exposure to a range of software at different levels. Encourage them to do a little self-learning and work in a creative environment without the drive of assessment and time constraints.

Wondering if anyone is doing this already or if anyone has started to think about this. Might be great to collaborate with others on this.

Products
  • Dreamweaver

Design and develop modern, responsive websites.

• Photoshop

Editing and compositing for photos, web and mobile app designs, 3D artwork, videos, and more.

• Illustrator

Create beautiful vector art and illustrations.

• InDesign

Craft elegant layouts at your desk or on the go.

Ratings
5 / 5 • 8 Ratings

Comments (11)

Write a reply...
or Join for free to view all comments and participate in the discussion.

Angela Wong

Posted on 3/1/17 7:50:14 PM Permalink

​I don't do this, but depending on the grade level you are teaching this could be a great after school club opportunity. Towards the end of the year as summer approaches you may see less of an interest as students are preparing to go to college and others are starting to be ready for the school year to end. Towards the beginning of the school year lots of students are more motivated and aren't feeling so bogged down. But, if it were a regular club, students would know it's there and when it's held which could allow them to drop in. If your school has a weekly newsletter or a way of advertising your club, you could post what the topic will be each week so those who definitely want to learn something specific would be sure not to miss out.

Philip Blankson

Posted on 1/17/17 8:49:10 AM Permalink

​It's a perfect idea, this will help us upgrade our knowledge

Larissa Warren

Posted on 1/5/17 1:26:39 AM Permalink

​About once a term I offer an after hours workshop teaching a new program skill, and also involving an Artist or industry professional. Having a pro from outside the College is a great way for our students to connect with how their projects and skills can relate to a working environment.

Kev Lavery

Posted on 10/31/15 10:24:33 AM Permalink

Hi Phil,

I've had pretty good take up rates running these as day sessions in the holidays or on the odd Saturday. I've struggled getting any take up after school - to be honest I struggle getting uptake from staff when I run after school sessions. The only time I get a lot of interest in anything I run after school is term 1 - seems like that's when everyone is really motivated to get stuff done (and don't have too much on their plate)

Marie Smith

Posted on 10/28/15 11:30:31 PM Permalink

I am the moderator of a club at my school where I am able to go into more depth with Adobe software than I am able to do in the classrooms. It is a new club that I began last year and am in the process of working out the kinks. We started off with Photoshop last year. This year, I intend to add Indesign, Flash and Muse to what the students are able to learn after school. We take on projects from the school's administration, different departments and other clubs. Last year, my club took on the project of redesigning the school crest that had not been updated in over 25 years using Photoshop. I would also like to use this club to educate students to prepare for the Adobe Certified Associate (ACA) exam.

Dominique StGermain

Posted on 9/1/15 1:01:45 AM Permalink

I think being dedicated to the future of our students is always worth it if you can afford it, if you have the time to do so. The more we can equip them (at least the ones willing to do more than the curriculum ask for) with what they need, better off they are, and better off we are too in many ways - I used to offer recap class outside of hours to students who were close to failing - Seeing them pass and move along within the program and towards their degree is all that I needed to motivate me in doing so every semester - If IT was my field I would gladly collaborate!

Phil Feain

Posted on 9/1/15 2:02:06 AM Permalink

Thanks for the feedback Dominique. I found that when I used to teach Maths that I had to spend about the same amount of time with students outside class time to give them more time and a chance to complete work in front of me for those conversations when they experience difficulties. IT wise, I am finding students have an interest in learning skills in software, but not having an opportunity if they don't do the subject. So offering workshops might be the solution.

Stephen Blackwell

Posted on 8/31/15 11:38:23 PM Permalink

We have offered a range of IT-based courses out of normal class time for both students and staff. For students we have previously run Aries, robotics (Lego-based at lunchtimes) and currently offer our students a number of IT extension modules which are completed out of class and include programming through code.org, investigating the science of Minecraft and the science of rocketry with Kerbal Space Program. I hadn't thought of offering workshops on Adobe products as such but it is an interesting idea.

Phil Feain

Posted on 9/1/15 2:03:44 AM Permalink

Hi Stephen. Thanks for the response. What was your take-up like? Did you find students would keep coming to the modules to see them through to completion?

Stephen Blackwell

Posted on 9/5/15 10:45:09 AM Permalink

Our current modules have only been launched this year so I don't have any figures yet on take up or completion. I'll add them when I know.

Bethany Dutton

Posted on 8/20/15 12:12:42 PM Permalink

following as really interested to hear other thoughts