Elizabeth Garrison
Program Manager

Flipped Teaching and Adobe Software

How do you flip your classroom? I create my own screen casts and use Edmodo. The flipped classroom is the concept of enabling instruction and communication outside of the classroom and then working together in the classroom. Using this method when teaching Adobe software is an excellent way of utilizing class time to work on projects. At the ISTE Conference in San Diego this year there were many ideas and models to absorb and I want to utilize this method this school year. I would love to hear how others are using the flipped classroom model.

Products
Ratings
5 / 5 • 2 Ratings

Comments (6)

Write a reply...
or Join for free to view all comments and participate in the discussion.

Donald Peters

Posted on 9/21/12 8:14:38 PM Permalink

I agree with Elizabeth, the main thing is to keep them short. Students don't want to sit through a long winded video to get the information they need. I divide them by tools/skills and think of them a 'reteach resource.'

Lukas Engqvist

Posted on 9/21/12 3:37:02 PM Permalink

I'd love to do flipped classroom, but finding it hard to get started recording sessions. Any tipps on preparing for a webcast?

Elizabeth Garrison

Posted on 9/21/12 6:27:53 PM Permalink

Hi Lukas,

I usually keep them short so I have less time to mess up. It usually takes me two to three times before I am happy with it. The subject is something I will have taught before so I am comfortable with my steps. I also think about how the student may want to pause and play again so I try to pause between steps, but not too long.

Donald Peters

Posted on 9/12/12 2:14:59 PM Permalink

I am using the 'flipped classroom' in my graphic arts class. While I AM teaching tools and methods in class, I go through them fairly quickly and back them up with videos that I create myself using ScreenFlow. I cull ideas and develop lessons based on many other professionals and ideas that I find and save in Pinterest.

My school is a 1:1 school district with every student grades 4-12 receiving a 9" Macbook Air and every teacher receiving a 13". Software is loaded onto these for the students (we have a site license for every adobe product CS4ish)

My students (and others) then post work examples in 'Grapic Artists Unite!' in Edmodo and critique each others work as well as other students work (There are currently 6 co-teachers and 75 students in this Edmodo group) If you and your students would like to join this experiment in online collaboration/critique, the group code is: 9d5ob0

Elizabeth Garrison

Posted on 9/21/12 6:23:46 PM Permalink

Thanks Donald,

I would love to join. The program at your school sounds awesome.

Nicole Dalesio

Posted on 9/1/12 7:05:56 PM Permalink

Elizabeth,

You are right! This is such a hot topic right now! I was also at ISTE in San Diego. And yes, there are a lot of discussions about this. I am a 4th grade teacher, and although in the past, the tutorials I've made have been more geared to the general public and students from anywhere who may enjoy my tutorials. However, I've heard that the research has shown that flipped teaching is more effective when kids hear their own teacher teaching the flipped lessons. I'm thinking my big goal for this year is to do a lot more flipped videos, and since I teach all subject areas, I think it can be in any topic, and that it's important to remember that it can be very informal too. The kids are fascinated by it! Also, for the first time, 100% of my students have internet at home. Times are changing!