Creativity and Noise

Posted on Nov 7, 2015 by Susanne Tamir Latest activity: Feb 12, 2017

10 6,765
  • 5 3 Ratings

I found an interesting article about how a decent noisy background improves creativity. Would like to share it and know if you agree

http://www.jstor.org/stable/10.1086/665048?seq=1#

i like an quiet environment and get my ideas in riding with my Mountain bike in the desert. But i see that many children really learn better with some noise in the background. May be its a question of character. Susanne

Comments (10)

Sean Malone

Posted on Feb 12, 2017 6:55 PM - Permalink

​I personally love to have some white noise, classical, or jazz music in the background while I am working from a design and creativity aspect. I am not a fan of words or loud music during my time.

Back when I was primarily teaching students, I would have an ambient music tune in the background, enough to blend in as white noise but not too loud to distract. I think when the music becomes the focal point of the setting, the mind does not have the ability to balance this with the task at hand.

Janis HendersonHunsucker

Posted on Oct 11, 2016 2:39 PM - Permalink

​In my digital photography classroom, we create a custom Pandora channel (every students recommends bands). We listen to the music while we are working with dim lighting so we can see our chromebooks.

Robbie Collett

Posted on May 17, 2016 8:12 PM - Permalink

I remember learning in a Psychology class that noise is good for times where you need to improvise and think quickly, quiet is good for when you need to concentrate and do something you know how to do. In basketball, for example, the home team wants the crowd riled up when they have the ball and they need to score, which requires improvisation and quick thinking, whereas you go silent during a free throw which is something you know how to do and you need to calm down. Like you said, it depends on the individual, but it also depends on the project. When my multimedia students grouped up and started brainstorming movie ideas, it would naturally get noisy. When they then needed to edit the video in Premiere, they'd put headphones on to help concentrate (not to mention hear the video).

If I were you, I'd ask the students how they feel about noise and what solutions they can come up with to address the fact that some students work well to noise and others don't.

In the end I guess the simple answer is headphones :)

Lidka Schuch

Posted on Mar 3, 2016 9:35 PM - Permalink

One more thing: let us never forget that any kind of noise can be invasive and irritating. "Noise pollution" is a phrase coined long time ago, because it exists. Loud music, cranked up base, repetitive, simple rhythm might be just as distractive and annoying as a sea-doo circling in one place on a small lake. Noise makes people deaf, often later in life - children and young people often do not realize that until it's too late. Let's not kill our hearing in the race for creativity, please! http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1253729/ />

Lidka Schuch

Posted on Mar 3, 2016 9:13 PM - Permalink

For me it depends what kind of noise for what kind of creativity. For writing I need silence, or not very loud background music, preferably instrumental only, without lyrics. For painting/drawing/layout/photography and photo-editing work I can take some good music :) And yes, I also have friends who need to go to Starbucks or Second Cup to write. We are not all the same, and thank goodness for that.

Beatrix KruemmerFrau

Posted on Mar 3, 2016 8:36 PM - Permalink

When it comes to creativity, I allow my students to use headsets with their favorite music. Strangely I have programmers in my class who can code with noise, a friend need Starbuck noise to code. For myself it depends a lot, I remember that some of my ugliest, but best sold jackets I have designed with ZZ-Top. My best stuff instead was made in the middle of the night with absolute silence.

Elias Ortega

Posted on Dec 2, 2015 3:41 PM - Permalink

Some of it may depend on personality styles. It could also be a white-noise effect. Music can set a rhythm for learning environments. I often teach with music. Developing a soundtrack for my classess aid me pacing and timing without having to check on the watch every so often.

Chris Schnell

Posted on Nov 13, 2015 3:57 PM - Permalink

thank you for sharing :-)

Andrea Payne

Posted on Nov 10, 2015 3:34 PM - Permalink

Thanks for sharing this article, Susanne! I tend to prefer quiet myself, but I don't insist on it in my classroom. I work with elementary students so silence is almost not possible for them!! In addition, I find that it is simply in their nature as social beings to need to discuss tasks and collaborate. I am however quite conscious of the fact that some students prefer quiet (as I do!), and I'm trying to figure out the right balance. I provide a few pairs of noise cancelling headphones that students can use if they are having difficulty drowning out classroom noise and focusing on work - I have two kinds: the construction-grade ear protection ones for complete silence, as well as the audio ones so they can listen to music or ambient noise. I've found that especially many students with ADHD make use of these headphones when they feel overwhelmed and need to focus. But on the whole, I find that my students are happier and tend to do better quality work when I allow them to collaborate and talk out their ideas (as Eliot said below...)

Eliot Attridge

Posted on Nov 8, 2015 9:51 PM - Permalink

Very interesting! I wonder how much silent classes prevent students from expressing ideas & learning- even non-creative classes.

I don't like (or insist) on complete silence in my science classes. I think students need to communicate to vocalise their ideas- e.g. about reading, about what the teacher has said, about what difficulties they are having. So having some level of 'noise' would be a good thing. Issues arise when there is too much noise related to distractions- but that just requires the teacher to bring them back on task.