Painting in Photoshop with a Wacom Tablet

Posted on Jul 29, 2013 by Dan Armstrong Latest activity: Jun 28, 2017

9 3,216
  • 3/5 | 1 Rating

I just watched a presentation with Joe Dockery about Wacom tablets and drawing in Photoshop. I have a class set of Wacom Tablets and Joe helped me see that there is a need for a conversation about the Wacom Tablet. See his post here on the EdExchange. How is it being used in your classroom? I worry that our tablets are being under used. Some things we have done are:

#1 I took away the mice and have made them use the multi-touch gestures. No MICE in my room. The students do lessons on multi-touch that is built-in to Mac OS and how to use the the touch features including a click and drag gesture, accessing tools buried in the tool box, and launch pad.

#2 They are assigned to change the options in the Wacom settings to meet their needs. Often we turn off the touch when using the pen so that they are not moving the mouse while drawing.

If you need some Wacom Pen Storage Solutions there is a great discussion going on about that.

Comments (8)

Jody Campbell

Posted on Aug 14, 2014 6:54:32 PM - Permalink

I really like Wacom tablets and some students use them...we also have Cintiqs and students tend to used them more so than the Wacom.

Tarek Bahaa El Deen

Posted on Sep 3, 2013 7:54:18 PM - Permalink

Wacom tablets in Photoshop is very useful for artist especially, when using pressure and brush width, then multi touch is not important like them

Eric Dumas

Posted on Jul 30, 2013 11:21:54 AM - Permalink

You are so lucky, so many of us have to fight to get in the budget some decent equipment. I use Wacom tablet for several years and they are fantastic. With adult learners I experienced a lot of hesitation as they "could not draw", but very quickly the fun factor took over.

Dan Armstrong

Posted on Jul 30, 2013 9:23:31 PM - Permalink

so far as the budget goes, we won a contest with an organization called Act Out Loud last year. I would point out however that at the very beginning of the contest we planned how the money would be spent and hung our goal on the wall. The students had a vision and the achieved it. I'd challenge the students to find the money. Three years ago I gave my students a grant writing for dummies book, they wrote a grant and were awarded a new Epson 9900 Printer. You can do it but the best resource is right inside your own classroom. I'd love to help anyway I can.

Mike Skocko

Posted on Jul 30, 2013 3:54:38 AM - Permalink

Still kicking myself for skipping Joe's session. Glad it's recorded and we'll all be able to bask in his glow.

P.S. If anyone doesn't know Joe, check out his resources.

Jody Campbell

Posted on Aug 15, 2014 1:11:02 AM - Permalink

Thanks for the link Mike.

Aaron Roberts

Posted on Jul 30, 2013 1:49:30 AM - Permalink

Are your computers locked down by IT? My students CANNOT touch settings in the control panel! I would love for them to change their Wacom settings at will, but we can't.

I heard a quote you might like from Golan Levin's excellent TED talk: “The mouse is probably the narrowest straw you could try to suck all of human expression through.” He was quoting someone else, but I don't remember who. You can probably Google the quote and find out. Seems appropriate to your method.

I'll check out those other Wacom areas when I get chance tomorrow. We use... are you ready for this... Wacom Intuos 2's!! About 12 years old. They work great, and they are solid! We might look at getting some bamboos this year (I have one myself), but those Intuos 2's are very solid and still work great!

Dan Armstrong

Posted on Jul 30, 2013 9:25:25 PM - Permalink

I'm not sure how the multi-touch gestures will be used in the future but they will be used. Better train them now.