Is clip art dead?

Posted on Dec 9, 2016 by Adobe Education Latest activity: Sep 20, 2017

16 951
  • 5/5 | 7 Ratings

How do you help students add visual interest to their presentations and projects without resorting to the cliche' of clip art? Share your suggested resources for finding vector assets, stock photography, and other types of visual assets that help young people keep their design work fresh.

Comments (16)

Jon Vandermeer

Posted on Sep 20, 2017 8:10:04 PM - Permalink

​Vector assets tend to be more dynamic, while I deal primarily in the audio format, I do have students put together a poster of their capstone project and vector assets has the potential to enhance the poster

Annemarie Armstrong

Posted on Aug 3, 2017 3:40:13 PM - Permalink

​I would offer the various options, text, clip art, customized vectors to the students and discuss when to use each. If time is not a factor, customized vectors would, in many cases, be preferable. Stock photography is another option but so is personal photography, since most students have cameras on their phones. Students can learn from using all the types and making comparisons in the same way as was done here in the course. Also, one would like to discuss the presentation mode--screen vs. print. By offering options students would be more motivated and less likely to avoid the tasks. Eventually they would try all of them. Peer discussion and groups learning could also be applied so that students can maximize their time and efforts. This works with all ages up through adults.

Miriam Shaw

Posted on Jul 27, 2017 9:30:36 PM - Permalink

​Lots of great comments...Fred, your links that you share with your students are Awesome! Not having done much with vector graphics, I am limited on my thoughts. Personally, I believe there is room for both clipart and vector graphics...both for the novice and the expert.

Tony Fling

Posted on Jul 19, 2017 11:34:04 PM - Permalink

​I try to encourage students and staff to always use high quality assets in whatever they are doing. It doesn't matter if it is vector graphics, photo, audio or video I encourage them to always pay for the rights to use an asset or check to see if there is a creative common or royalty free license. We have a lot of students and even staff that think it is totally fine to steal content from online sources like you tube or google without consideration for the people that created that content. I try my best to steer them in the right direction! We use sites like pixabay.com, pexels.com, digital juice, adobe stock, etc for obtaining assets.

Carlos Calla Huayapa

Posted on Jul 18, 2017 6:13:04 AM - Permalink

​I think vector is more friendly and clean.

Tyler Dockery

Posted on Jul 11, 2017 7:58:46 PM - Permalink

​ we try to encourage students to use their own assets or their own creative art pieces. I teach advertising and graphic design, and students to try to get by banking their work on someone else's creative designs usually end up with a big visual problem. Either the designs they find online are not as good as they could've done in which case they look like they did A very sad or half – bottom job. Alternatively they might find a piece of vector artwork which is so good that it overshadows the rest of their work. This can cause big problems if that is the main reason they were hired, and then they cannot do that work on the job. It's a pickle and no mistake

Shadara Peters

Posted on Jul 11, 2017 7:24:41 PM - Permalink

​Hello,

I'm not a student, but when I was there were different resources that were available. To avoid resorting to clip art, it helped me to be more creative and create my own vector art for example. Also, stock photography that are available and sometimes and image can depict what your trying to present. The design industry is changing so fast that the way information received is way different visually. I was introduced to the noun project when I took a infographics training class and this is I think a good way to help add visual interest.

Thanks!

dorothy lynch

Posted on Jul 4, 2017 4:32:06 AM - Permalink

​I would first start by informing them of the types of images and how they can affect their presentations. For example, Rasters or Bitmap images can get distorted or become fuzzy when resizing the image but vector images can be scaled up or down without losing quality ( become distorted or fuzzy). I have located two site for them to use am sure their are more. https://www.vecteezy.com/ and

http://www.freepik.com/.

Shadara Peters

Posted on Jul 11, 2017 7:28:17 PM - Permalink

Hello,

I agree Raster or Bitmap images can get distorted, but vector images are better and can be easily scaled without losing its quality. I have also used freepik, and sometimes you don't have to create completely from scratch and resources as so can hello visually.

Thanks!

Ari Vega

Posted on Jul 3, 2017 1:10:49 PM - Permalink

I don't clip art is dead, because it depends on it end use. If you are not planning on scaling it or make other modifications, then a bit map would work fine. However, if you are planning to change the image size or independent colors of the image, then bit map would not be the wise choice.​

Shadara Peters

Posted on Jul 11, 2017 7:34:50 PM - Permalink

Hello,

I don't think clip art is dead also, and like you said it depends on what your using it for and how you will be using it for.

Thanks!

Ken Thomas

Posted on Jun 29, 2017 6:42:16 PM - Permalink

​I haven't yet had a use for this type of application in my particular class. However, I can appreciate the knowledge about the adobe family of vector images available and illustrator as a way to design your own images.

dorothy lynch

Posted on Jul 4, 2017 4:33:51 AM - Permalink

​I found this info to be very interesting, it is my first time experiencing this activity as well.

Fred Benitez

Posted on Jan 23, 2017 7:15:30 PM - Permalink

dorothy lynch

Posted on Jul 4, 2017 4:36:22 AM - Permalink

Shadara Peters

Posted on Jul 11, 2017 7:33:00 PM - Permalink

Hello,

These are great resources that can be used for different things.

Thanks!