Tim Bateup
Technology Teacher

Year 7-9 Digital Technology National Curriculum

Hi all,

If anyone is using Adobe programs in Years 7, 8 or 9 with the new National Curriculum, would you mind sharing your ideas? As far as I can see, we need to have a focus on programming. I'd like to see what everyone is doing. I'm going to miss using Photoshop and the like in the Junior Secondary years.

Thanks for your help!

Products
  • Illustrator Line
  • Prelude
  • Adobe Experience Cloud
  • Typekit
  • Acrobat
  • Audition
  • Muse
  • ColdFusion
  • Adobe LeanPrint
  • Illustrator Draw
  • Adobe Creative Cloud
  • Flex
  • Adobe Premiere Pro
  • Premiere Clip
  • Dreamweaver
  • Ink & Slide
  • Adobe Scout
  • Digital Editions
  • RoboHelp
  • Photoshop
  • Ideas
  • Ideas
  • FormsCentral
  • Photoshop Mix
  • Story
  • Encore
  • Color
  • Edge Animate
  • Adobe Captivate
  • Edge Web Fonts
  • Photoshop Touch
  • Framemaker
  • Digital Publishing Solution
  • Edge Reflow
  • Fireworks
  • After Effects
  • Shape
  • Adobe Sign
  • SpeedGrade
  • Adobe Media Server
  • Presenter
  • InCopy
  • Adobe Spark
  • Adobe Voice
  • Brush
  • Photoshop Sketch
  • Animate CC
  • Portfolio
  • Revel
  • Adobe Connect
  • Bridge
  • Photoshop Elements
  • Illustrator
  • Adobe AIR
  • Edge Inspect
  • Flash Builder
  • InDesign
  • Business Catalyst
  • PhoneGap Build
  • Behance
  • Media Encoder
  • LiveCycle
  • Adobe Premiere Elements
  • Lightroom Classic
  • Brackets
Ratings
5 / 5 • 3 Ratings

Paul Cifone

Posted on May 28, 2015 5:26:45 AM   Permalink

Best Answer

Hey mate, i don't think you need to stop using any Adobe program i know i definitely won't as you can cover much of the Digital Arts Curriculum with it, i have managed to bring some programming into the Curriculum when we have had some Year level based activities and also as a lunchtime club.

Hope this helps!

Comments (11)

Write a reply...
or Join for free to view all comments and participate in the discussion.

Joel Aarons

Posted on Nov 2, 2016 2:25:26 AM Permalink

?My advice is to have a look at the Media Arts curriculum. The Adobe programs are more suited to the creativity side of things, which is where Media Arts comes in. Check out my blog at ?http://mediaartsconfessions.wordpress.com to see how I've integrated Adobe programs into Media Arts.

Adrienne Donoghue

Posted on Aug 21, 2016 6:01:07 AM Permalink

We are having the same issues- much of the National Curriculum (for Digital Technologies alone) seems to focus on the more 'traditional' computer skills, coding, spreadsheets, databases, networks, cybersafety & other ICT related issues. We are trying to get creative with all of this because our students LOVE LOVE LOVE the Adobe products. Some ideas I have include:

1. Photoshop/Illustrator to discuss differences between vector.bitmap etc.
2. Photoshop.Illustrator to design original game characters that can then be imported into (Scratch, Gamemaker etc.) and programmed
3. MUSE as a nice introduction to web design for the juniors (7-9) (links nicely with VCE subjects and possibility of using Dreamweaver??)
4. Animate- also teaches iterative ways of working!!
5. Creating tracker style apps (I actually only used Excel for this- would love to try more app design software) and then getting students to create app store style logos for their apps (in Photoshop/Illustrator)
6. And of course, lots of scope for posters, movies, website design, InDesign articles/magazine pages on ICT related issues

But yes, it's tricky. We are a separate dept to the creative arts- but they do not use digital technology in the junior years, so that was sort of our baby for a long time. We also don't have multi-media until Yr. 10, but our dept. is the only one teaching these skills explicitly at the junior levels. I'm loathe to give it all up to tick the Digi Tech National Curriculum box!

Bethany Dutton

Posted on May 30, 2016 11:28:54 AM Permalink

It is a difficult position for the actual digital technologies curriculum as it depends on how you view the national curriculum and whether your focus is on preparing students for senior studies particularly in Year 9 and 10. Based on the national curriculum in the Adobe software I feel that there is a lot for the use of dreamweaver with the focus on Information Systems. There is still a lot of use for the programs but probably more in the media arts and visual arts areas. As an alternative at our college we offer media studies in year 8 and 9 and 10 with a focus on Photography, film and video. But we also offer programming in year 8 and 9 as well as robotics and then in year 10 we split and have a programming subject and also a design subject where we do photoshop, illustrator and flash or animate and we offer the adobe certifications as part of this at the moment it works for our school and offers a range of programs

Sue Lemmer

Posted on May 16, 2016 10:24:20 AM Permalink

We've used Gamemaker and Lego Robotics as well as Scratch and Turtle for coding. However, I agree with other comments that you don't need to stop using Photoshop, or other programs such as In Design or Illustrator. All of them still have a place and can easily be integrated into many areas of the curriculum. Our Year 7 students are currently using video and still photography as part of designing resources for younger students to use (as part of the Japanese curriculum)

Lorraine Nitschke

Posted on May 15, 2016 6:05:52 AM Permalink

I'll be interested to see what others add here, as I'm in the same position. I've always included Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign components in my Year 9 IT class. Last year my school decided to drop Years 7 & 8 IT, much to my disappointment! What are other schools doing in this area? So there is nothing for our HS students until they hit Year 9.

Tim Bateup

Posted on May 16, 2016 12:52:49 AM Permalink

• Year 7 - we use GameMaker to create little games. The kids love it and it's easy drag & drop programming!
  • Year 8 - we use Lego Robotics. The kids build and programs their robots to complete a range of tasks.
  • Year 9 - we have started using Minecraft and Python to do coding (Year 9's). We were using Raspberry Pi's to do this, but they are failing miserably, so are looking to just use Minecraft and Python on our desktop computers.

Unfortunately, not a lot of Adobe stuff in use in the junior school at the moment since there is a big focus on programming. We get into Adobe Brackets/Dreamweaver and Adobe Animate in the senior grades to give them a taste of programming.

Leilani Sills

Posted on Jul 27, 2016 10:13:37 PM Permalink

I'm interested to find out more about GameMaker and how you use it.

Tim Bateup

Posted on Jul 27, 2016 10:23:29 PM Permalink

Hi Leilani,

Have a look at my YouTube videos if you want. It has GameMaker tutorials that we use with Year 7 and Year 10 kids.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLS9qLR8VoFA4OeV9NB40g-tkvp_zxbsrl

Their final assignment in Year 10 is to create a 3-4 level platform game. Year 7 kids only study the class for 6 weeks and their assignment is to make a 3 level maze game. It's great fun and the kids absolutely love it!

I basically just give these videos to the kids and they work through them at their own pace. It's easier than teaching out the front of the classroom!

Paul Cifone

Posted on May 28, 2015 5:26:45 AM Permalink

Best Answer

Hey mate, i don't think you need to stop using any Adobe program i know i definitely won't as you can cover much of the Digital Arts Curriculum with it, i have managed to bring some programming into the Curriculum when we have had some Year level based activities and also as a lunchtime club.

Hope this helps!

Claire Richards

Posted on May 23, 2016 12:53:37 AM Permalink

I am finding there is actually a lovely cross over between the 'media arts' and 'digital technologies' curriculum. I actually really like the focus on the 'design cycle' in Digital Tech. as it overlaps with most other fields. I find Adobe is great because it has that link between the software you use and how it works with code in programs like Flash. I have found teaching 'vectors' in illustrator can be a really interesting way to teach students about bezier curves etc.

Juan Tovar

Posted on May 13, 2015 1:50:35 AM Permalink