Nancy Parker
Educational Consultant

Adobe in Elementary School

I am looking for teachers who are implementing classroom projects in the elementary school classroom where students are using Adobe software applications. If your students are currently using Adobe software applications I hope that you will post a comment to this discussion. 

I would like to know:

1) What grade level the students;

2) What products the students are using;

3) How many workstations are loaded with the software applications;

4) How was the software purchased; school or district funding, grant written by central district personnel, grant written by the teacher, software purchased by the teacher with own money, software donated by a company

5) What type of project are the students working on;

6) What other type of information concerning this discussion would you like to share?

I believe that a discussion like this may help provide teachers the information needed to help justify technology purchases.

Products
Ratings
0 / 5 • No Ratings

Comments (3)

Write a reply...
or Join for free to view all comments and participate in the discussion.

Nancy Parker

Posted on 8/10/13 1:13:24 AM Permalink

Thanks so much for posting to this discussion. I know that instructional technology leaders participate in discussions on this education exchange. It is my mission to give teachers support who wish to request funding for software, hardware, and materials. I know that it making a case for a project is powerful when it has had success. I do hope that more professionals will share their stories.

Aaron Roberts

Posted on 8/8/13 1:17:31 PM Permalink

I am commenting on this, more or less to make it easier to follow and get email updates on the subject. I am interested to see what results you get. We do some Adobe products in our younger grades, but not much. I have been encouraging Photoshop Touch and Adobe Ideas since we have a number of iPads at that area. Ideas is great because I'm hoping more of them understand what a vector graphic is when they get to 8th grade when we introduce them and high school when we really dig deep into them.

Laura Feeney

Posted on 7/24/13 9:55:26 PM Permalink

Hi Nancy!

Great questions! I'm the Education Advocate on Adobe's education team and I focus specifically on K12 schools and teachers. I'm also a former elementary school teacher, so I was really excited to see your post! Here are my initial thoughts:

1) What grade level the students: I've met teachers using our software with students as young as 3rd grade. That doesn't mean younger students aren't using our software, but that's what I have encountered in the past few months.

2) What products the students are using: Photoshop, Illustrator, Photoshop Elements, Photoshop Touch have been the most common products for our youngest users. Some are also using Level Up which is an add-on for Photoshop which is a game that helps users learn how to use Photoshop. It's amazing to me how quickly children learn the software and aren't intimidated by it as some adults might be.

3) How many workstations are loaded with the software applications: This varies widely. Most often, I see a computer lab which is equipped with anywhere from 20-40 computers with the software already on it.

4) How was the software purchased; school or district funding, grant written by central district personnel, grant written by the teacher, software purchased by the teacher with own money, software donated by a company: I don't think I can really answer this question-- I'm sure there are others in the Ed Ex community who are better placed to answer. However, I've worked with many schools/ teachers whose district has purchased site licenses for every school. In some instances we have provincial or state-wide agreements for schools in the entire state/province.

5) What type of project are the students working on: I see lots of music videos, self-portraits, even some math projects (lines, tessellations, etc), photo montages, putting your image in front of the Great Wall of China, family crests, etc. It's really endless and often depends on the curriculum being taught in all kinds of subjects.

6) What other type of information concerning this discussion would you like to share? I'd just like to reiterate that children and teens often tell me how easy it was to learn and how much they appreciate the endless possibilities for self-expression. Teachers tell me how much they like to support their kids in developing knowledge of industry-standard software and how these tools are essential for fostering creativity in their students! Even if you're starting in elementary school, you're laying the foundations for future high school and college students to have solid skills in high-demand software.