Digital Video: Foundations of Video Design and Production
Digital Video is a year-long, project-based video curriculum develops career and communication skills in video production using Adobe tools. Use the curriculum in career and technical education courses - or any other course that involves the use of video.
Digital Video curriculum develops knowledge in storytelling, capturing and editing video and audio, and finalizing content for DVD or web through emphasis on design, communication, project management, and video technology. Each project builds on lessons learned previously.
Digital Video curriculum aligns with the International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE) National Educational Technology Standards (NETS) for Students (2007) as well as the new Adobe Certified Associate Video Communication objectives to prepare students for certification.
- Learn more about the alignment >
- Learn more about certification >
- Access the CS5 version of Digital Video >
- Access the CS4 version of Digital Video >
Looking for more advanced resources to help prepare film students? Visit our Video Production Resource Center.
Note: You will be required to register/log in to view all instructor and student materials.
What's new in Digital Video CS6
- New recommendations for alternate methods of teaching with this curriculum, including product-based instruction by using the packages of product technical guides. See the Introduction for more information.
- Adobe Premiere Pro CS6: Dynamic timeline trimming, faster project panel workflow, and other productivity enhancements to make editing faster in Adobe Premiere Pro CS6.
- Audio production: New addition of Audition CS6 to create, edit, and mix audio for video.
- Script-writing: New addition of Adobe Story CS6 to write scripts and prepare for video shoots by using built in templates.
- Video effects: Learn how to fix shaky footage with the warp stabilizer effect in Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 and After Effects CS6.
Digital Video curriculum
The Digital Video projects include instructor project guidelines and reproducible student materials. Download the full curriculum or any of the eight individual projects.
- Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 technical guides >
- Audition CS6 technical guides >
- After Effects CS6 technical guides >
- Encore CS6 technical guides >
Project 1: Video Production Basics
In this project, students develop and evaluate effective uses of video-shot techniques and build a video sequence.
Project 2: Action Events
In this project, students shoot an event and then edit their action footage to create a short video, developing an understanding of pre-production, production, and post-production workflows.
Project 3: News Stories
In this project, students work in teams to select a subject, conduct an interview, and report a story. They learn about specific video elements in news stories such as interview sound bites and reporter narration.
Project 4: Public Service Announcements
In this project, students plan, shoot, edit, and produce a public service announcement.
Project 5: Portfolios
In this project, students create a DVD portfolio of the work they have completed, concentrating on a particular career area of video production.
Project 6: Commercials
In this project, students work with a client to create a commercial that will be deployed on the web.
Project 7: Mini-Documentaries
In this project, students work in teams to create a mini-documentary, identifying the theme, audience, and goals for a particular topic.
Project 8: Final Portfolios
In this project, students improve their portfolios and redesign them to better address their overall future focus. They create a web DVD portfolio to more easily distribute their work.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License.