Creativity Comfort Levels

Posted on May 21, 2013 by Adobe Education Latest activity: Oct 28, 2014

18 4,158
  • 7 Ratings

What is your comfort level with creativity? Are you able to inspire and lead others in fostering their own comfort with creativity in the classroom?

What successes have you had in pushing yourself to grow even more and encouraging others to promote creativity?

This discussion post is part of the Adobe Education Exchange Professional Development Workshop Creativity in 21st Century Classrooms: Explore Creativity in Today's Classroom.

Comments (18)

Yone Santos

Posted on Oct 28, 2014 11:09 AM - Permalink

I'm in the inspiring range.

It’s hard for people where I work to find the time to get together and discuss things, especially if it’s not an ‘institutional duty’, if I may say so. So, I’ve decided to create a blog where I quote some of the things I’m learning about creativity and write my personal point of view or reflection about it. I’ve invited my branch colleagues and some members of my department to join the discussion and, at the beginning, some of them did. However, as time goes by, people get carried away by their everyday duties and just forget about it. But I haven’t given up.

Brett Kent

Posted on Oct 7, 2014 10:32 AM - Permalink

The most challenging part of pushing creativity in education, is placing yourself into the position that is most comfortable for the people you are trying to influence. It is so easy to run in your own direction, but if you want other people to come on the ride they need to feel comfortable.

Heather Smith

Posted on Oct 7, 2014 4:36 AM - Permalink

Inspiring Level: I can use goal-setting ideas to grow even more and to encourage others to promote creativity. Explore having students use different forms of creative output: artistic, class performance, spoken presentation, or visual representation. Let them have choices and be part of the decision-making process, giving them more freedom to direct their learning.

jorge barrigon

Posted on Oct 6, 2014 2:28 AM - Permalink

My score was leading, i already took the course of train the trainers and i got certified, i think that was a very good start and im planning on get better every day. I think activities and group projects are an excellent way to foster creativity with your students. Im working in a course on using Acrobat as a presentation tool. My goal is to share this course with my colleagues.

Kate Jordahl

Posted on Sep 9, 2014 6:38 PM - Permalink

My score was "leading" and I am very interested, dedicated and excited about instilling creativity in my students. This process is exciting as I am developing both teacher training materials and in the process of planning a learning community with English and Photography. My weakness, as a self-starter, is encouraging group work. I am going to plan some group projects to help my students and stretch my comfort level.

Barbara Swanner

Posted on Aug 10, 2014 3:27 AM - Permalink

What is your comfort level with creativity? Are you able to inspire and lead others in fostering their own comfort with creativity in the classroom? I have always felt very at home with trying new things and processes, and pushing the envelope. I have been involved in creative careers my whole life and so feel very comfortable with creativity. Teaching art to high school students gives me the opportunity to get them to learn to trust themselves and try new things, I tell them that my class is the one where I don't give you the answer, but the tools to find the answers, my class is about problem solving not memorizing answers or formulas, and it is okay to fail, but what I really want is for them to learn to trust their own ideas, and test them and rework them if it something doesn't work. Don't give up if success doesn't come on the first try, the important thing is try again if you fail, and believe in yourself that you can solve the problem if you let yourself think outside the box.

What successes have you had in pushing yourself to grow even more and encouraging others to promote creativity? Last year I was the star teacher for my school, achieving this honor was even more memorable because I was the first "elective" teacher to attain this honor in my school's thirty year history. I enter my students in artwork in every event I can for them, I believe strongly that acceptance into juried shows goes a long way in establishing a student's confidence. I don't believe art teachers should encourage students to compete if they are not entering jurored competitions themselves, so as an artist I enter competitions each year to keep my work developing and growing. Since joining my current school I have developed a curriculum and classes that give my students the opportunity to explore their creativity in the areas of drawing, painting, sculpting, and photography. This past year even though our programs are very successful, I worked with my co-teacher to redesign the entire curriculum to make it more current adding animation and video classes, and what we are offering is now even more challenging and thought provoking for our students and our enrollment in our classes is larger than ever. Change is good, and I believe it stimulates exploration and growth for my fellow teacher, our students and myself.

tannizia anthony

Posted on Jul 28, 2014 4:57 PM - Permalink

What is your comfort level with creativity? Are you able to inspire and lead others in fostering their own comfort with creativity in the classroom?

Inspiring is my comfort level based on the self assessment. Yes we are seeing results in this area.

uma ravi

Posted on Jul 16, 2014 7:30 AM - Permalink

The self assesment has placed me in the inspiring level.As aa science teacher I always put open ended questions to the students in clss I wait for their answers before explaining the topic in detail.I make them relate incidents in day to day life to explain a concept.

Linda Cheng

Posted on Jul 15, 2014 4:20 PM - Permalink

If I co-teach a course with my colleague, I usually share what my planned activities and products will be and my approach towards the subject matter. It serves two purposes, one which is consistency in the course and encourage other faculty to share my belief in creativity.

Bhuvana Sriram

Posted on Jul 14, 2014 5:36 PM - Permalink

The self assessment is showing me at inspiring level. I always try to adopt creative techniques in problem solving to create and induce creativity in students. As a teacher I allow students to find different approaches to solve a question and always encourage creativity in students.

Bhuvana Sriram

Posted on Jul 14, 2014 5:35 PM - Permalink

The self assessment is showing me at inspiring level. I always try to adopt creative techniques in problem solving to create and induce creativity in students. As a teacher I allow students to find different approaches to solve a question and always encourage creativity in students.

Frank Vandenburg

Posted on Jul 13, 2014 3:44 AM - Permalink

The self-assessment showed me as a leader, but I often feel as though I'm simply following in the footsteps of those who taught me using creative techniques. For me it really boils down to being clear about what I want to achieve in training people and then thinking about all the different paths that can get there, depending on the tools chosen, the group structures, the participants, etc. It's good to allow several ways to achieve the learnings so that people can dive in at the level they feel challenges them without being overwhelming.

sandro c mendes

Posted on Jul 9, 2014 3:14 AM - Permalink

Use creativity all the time. Graphic design requires creativity.
Creativity should be encouraged in any classroom, familiarize the student to the creative process is imperative in today's world, where information is the key to the survival of businesses, the need for creativity has become even more urgent manner.

Gloria Espinoza

Posted on Jul 9, 2014 2:20 AM - Permalink

I land under the category of "inspiring". This seems accurate to me because I am able to give them the opportunity to have different options where discussions can be made and a development of their projects will arise. Allowing to see discussions from each of their different perspectives and being able to have open discussions, leads to being able to find solutions. Allowing the students to choose their best method of expressing them selves when it comes to projects is something that has helped promote creativity. Not only because each student has different ideas or ways in expressing their thoughts, whether it be through poster boards, on the computer, drawings, etc, within their ideas I am able to merge them and come up with a creative idea myself which I then present to them making it a new project.

tina ellingwood

Posted on Jun 30, 2014 4:12 AM - Permalink

I am at the leader level of creativity. I have the privilege of teaching creativty to high school students. Some embrace it and others have been so programed by being taught to the test that they struggle. It is encouraging to see their progress. I would like my goal to match my growth of instruction to assist fellow teachers in understanding and implementing creativity in their classrooms.

Ernest Whiteman

Posted on Jun 26, 2014 3:21 PM - Permalink

I am at the Inspiring Level of "Creative Comfort". We do have limited time in our classrooms but encourage the students to think of problems and solutions while I am away from the class. (I am a mentor with AYV in Chicago.) I have had students come up against each other in large group projects, and find solutions through open discussion, which is a skill I highly encourage. If a student cannot speak out now then how are they going to in later life. (Believe me, it's gotten feisty at times) But they have been able to work out the difficulties and seen other points of view. They come up with creative solutions together as a group.

For individual projects like posters and images, the fact that they are allowed to even try such creative things in their classroom is something that goes a long ways. We, the teachers and I, try to foster their individual creativity in "the moment" due to the limited time frames; with a group it is that moment when they come up with a shared solution, for an individual, it is that spark, when they "get it" and see that a tool can help or that an idea they had is feasible.

Lana Powers

Posted on Jun 17, 2014 2:16 PM - Permalink

Encouraging open-ended, creative projects does take more time and the biggest challenge here are the constraints to cover standards. I am working on covering multiple standards within one project and taking more time for fewer projects.

Myron Williams

Posted on Apr 17, 2014 11:41 AM - Permalink

In a graduate class on teaching youth and children in a religious setting students are placed in teams where they design a "program" for a specific age grouping. This includes various spaces (physical, social, intellectual, spiritual) which guide the age group toward specific learning outcomes. They are free to design as they see fit using various media for presenting their space(s) to the other students.

This challenges the students to use what they know from their experiences, what they are learning in class, and what they know from their religious guidelines.