Adobe Form Central: An Education Gem

Posted on Mar 26, 2013 by David Olinger Latest activity: Jul 3, 2014

17 7,926
  • 3 Ratings

Adobe Education Leader, Judy Derkin, guided me recently to Adobe Form Central. She uses it to collect student photography work, quizzes, and written work. This product initially looks like it is made for business and office work; however, this is a true Gem for the educator. I recently set up my own account and I can now collect a wide range of digital files, create surveys, tests, and writing prompts quickly and efficiently. If your school is using tablets or laptops, get yourself an account ... you won't regret it. Does anyone else use Adobe Form Central in their classroom? I've been using it for a week and wish I had found it sooner.

Comments (17)

Simon Cooper

Posted on Jul 3, 2014 11:20 PM - Permalink

I use Form Central for self assessment and save the responses as spreadsheet and then add columns for my comments (have only been using for a few weeks).

Eliot Attridge

Posted on Jun 1, 2014 8:38 AM - Permalink

Reading this discussion has been really interesting, so much so that I've paid for a monthly subscription. Now I've just got to learn how to use it!

Desmond Armentrout

Posted on Apr 9, 2014 3:45 PM - Permalink

I use Form Central all the time with my college students. Since my current class only meets once a week for 3 hours a night, I don't want to waste the precious time I have giving quizzes and assessment materials, so I use the online functionality (and paid for it, but have already reaped the rewards back ten fold) and send out the links on a Thursday and close the quiz right before class on a Monday. Granted, I do have all the answers and data now in a spreadsheet format and still have to hand grade the sheet, but as I am slowly learning this program, it makes it so much easier for me to cut my work time in half and not keep track of 20-30 quizzes.

I also teach in a public school district and after reading some comments about assessment forms, it dawned on me that the way I have been doing my assessments with my students could be cut down also when I create in a fill-able form that I can just have access to and save all the data to a spreadsheet and cut back on the amount of paper that I have been going through.

As I continue to work with the Adobe products, I am starting to get more and more ideas on technology integration into my classroom and being able to deliver the content to my students when we are away from the classroom.

Willie Moore

Posted on Jun 14, 2013 1:34 PM - Permalink

I use Adobe Form Central all the time. I think this is an excellent tool for educators to do assessments of student's work. Adobe could market this to educators very easily. The product has potential to do even more.

Judy Durkin

Posted on Apr 20, 2013 1:29 PM - Permalink

Gosh, thanks for naming me as your inspiration. From your most recent AEE contribution, I ascertain that the price of the service is bringing you down. The price is worth it! Believe me, I am not paid by Adobe...I am active in the Adobe Education Exchange because through this new exchange of ideas I have realized a breakthrough in my ability to teach students - no matter what socio-ethnic or geographic background - my continual quest - guided by the tremendous Adobe resources has enabled me to create a classroom learning experience of the future! Wow, that sounds like a bunch of baloney, but IT IS TRUE.

Using FormsCentral for student assignment "turn-in" simplifies our lives and teaches youngsters how to prepare files for international distribution. And it is great to access their work wherever I am.

Gosh, I get excited about this. What were we talking about?

Bill Kelly

Posted on Apr 19, 2013 2:00 PM - Permalink

I am a photography professor and I have recently started using Adobe Form Central to make grade sheet templates. They are great because I can create each one specific to the assignment and give much more detailed feedback in considerably less time. The students and our education director love them. I design the form online, then export the pdf and use Acrobat to fill it out for each student and save it as a new file. I print them all through Preview and distribute them to the students while I hold on to the pdfs as a record. My question is this - since I am not currently using the online functionality of Adobe Forms Central is there a way I can use the convenience of the form creation part and not pay the $15/month subscription charge? I pay out of my own pocket, and even with that monthly fee I cannot create more than 5 forms.

David Olinger

Posted on Apr 15, 2013 1:45 AM - Permalink

I recently posted a resource with a sample of my photography reflection.

Mark DuBois

Posted on Apr 13, 2013 4:02 PM - Permalink

Hi Jim:

Yes, I use Form Central as a checklist for students. They seem to like this approach. A number have provided very positive comments.

I like your idea using this in a competition.

Best,

Mark

Jim Babbage

Posted on Apr 12, 2013 1:45 AM - Permalink

Actually, here's my own little share. Last year I was asked by my former school to be a judge for some websites journalism students had created. Rather than fill out feedback over and over, I somewhat automated the process by creating a FormsCentral form, with criteria that I could rank. I basically took one of the evaluation templates and customized it.

I saved the form as a PDF form and filled it in for each team, saved each form then dropped them into a PDF portfolio and sent it to the instructor.

The professor running the competition loved the idea. And students each got their own feeddback form.

There may be a more elegant way to have done this, but it worked pretty well for me.

Jim Babbage

Posted on Apr 12, 2013 1:35 AM - Permalink

So Mark, you use it more like a check list then?

Judy Durkin

Posted on Apr 12, 2013 12:47 AM - Permalink

Adobe Forms Central is the best! I use it on a daily basis. I use it for writing assignments, image analysis, exams, turning-in assignments. It is fast, easy, and makes teaching paperless!

Mark DuBois

Posted on Apr 11, 2013 6:21 PM - Permalink

Hi David:

The form is for the students to use to confirm they have completed all their assignments. It is just for their use and not meant to be used by me as a means of feedback to them. I use my learning management system to provide more detailed feedback on their assignments (Moodle in my case).

Best,
Mark

David Olinger

Posted on Apr 10, 2013 10:50 PM - Permalink

Mark,

As you have students submit forms on-line, do students recieve their filled out form back? How do you provide feeback to student work? This is a limitation I find hard to get around.

Mark DuBois

Posted on Apr 10, 2013 10:35 PM - Permalink

I typically use Adobe Form Central to provide students with an interactive checklist of assignments due each week. Many students like the ability to complete an online form to keep track of what they need to accomplish in the way of lab assignments, discussion forum posts and weblogs. I teach mostly online and hybrid classes. I have received a lot of positive feedback from students by taking this approach. Once you have created a form, it is easy to duplicate it for subsequent weeks/ classes (and then modify each as needed).

Behind the scenes, I like the ability to see what students complete on their checklists and have a clearer understanding of who is struggling in any given class.

Jim Babbage

Posted on Apr 8, 2013 3:14 AM - Permalink

Thanks David, that's quite helpful. Having taught photography for 20 years before joining Adobe, I would have loved a solution like this. Can't wait to see your examples!

David Olinger

Posted on Apr 8, 2013 1:28 AM - Permalink

Jim,

Two quick examples of how I am using Forms central:

1) I use this in my photography class to create a rubric and submission form for students to turn in their images on-line. Students will fill out a self assessment rubric which uses metrics and short essays. Forms Central can make these elements a requirement to fill out and I can also set a minimum word count for the short essay. Students can upload the image to the form and submit it. I can then download all of the student images and create a PDF booklet of each week's assignment to project on the board and discuss in class.

2) I teach a course on Poverty in America which requires quite a bit of reflection and discussions. I use forms central for students to write brief essay prompts from the weekly reading and use a metrics to assess their own participation in the class discussions. This method is more engaging for the students because it is so easy for me to tweak each form for the reading without much effort and since students can access it on-line they are more likely to complete it. I also find the reflections to be more authentic because I am able to print off everything on one sheet and refer to their reflections quickly during class.

I hope this helps. I plan on posting my rubrics on the exchange in the near future (once I run through them a few times) so I will let you know when they are up.

Jim Babbage

Posted on Apr 7, 2013 9:31 PM - Permalink

Hey David, I'd love to hear more about how you're using FormsCentral, maybe even point to some examples?