How are you promoting creativity in your classroom

Posted on Jul 29, 2013 by Meredith Blache Latest activity: Sep 10, 2014

33 6,837
  • 6 Ratings

I know most of you are teaching Creativity tools, but what are you doing to promote individual creativity within your classroom? How are you helping your students to be individuals within a project/assignment?

Comments (33)

Mats Soderberg

Posted on Sep 10, 2014 11:00 PM - Permalink

When I promote creativity in the class I give them time, time and time.Sometimes a brainstorm is good to get them up and starting with their project. I also tell them that there are no right or wrong when you working in a creative way

marcia blanco

Posted on Sep 10, 2014 3:01 PM - Permalink

Jeremiah Baumann

Posted on Sep 9, 2014 5:14 PM - Permalink

My goal was to create a creatively inviting space. We used colored LED lighting so that my students could truly customize their spaces to their moods, likes, and generally the condition they want to work in. It was a cheap solution that really transformed our room into something that inspires and welcomes full creativity.

marcia blanco

Posted on Sep 10, 2014 3:04 PM - Permalink

Hi Jeremiah! What a cool idea! are the workstations separated by cubicle walls or together? Are the lights overhead or in "desk lamps"?Can you post an image of that? I'd like to steal it if I may, but I can't envision it just yet.

Thanks!

Timothy Allen

Posted on Sep 8, 2014 4:33 PM - Permalink

Each unit, I teach specific tools and design elements. The students will all complete a "practice" design to demonstrate their understanding of the taught skills. Then, they must create 2-3 designs of their own that are different from each other. They are allowed time for research, sketching, and experimenting in addition to completing the designs.

Eric Labonté

Posted on Sep 5, 2014 2:24 AM - Permalink

When I start a new project with students, I will often give them a general theme for the whole class. The project will need some key elements that were taught in class in order to make sure they have learned some of the basic principles. But it's up to them to go with their own idea on the given theme. For example, my first video editing project of the year has the theme "The first day back to school". Some will take the student perspective, others will take a teacher's perspective or maybe even a parent's perspective to the day. Some students will make it a comedy, others a horror. It's up to them to decide!

John Hull

Posted on Jul 1, 2014 6:43 PM - Permalink

When I assign video or audio projects, I try to offer guidelines and goals for the students to obtain. How they get there is up to them. Many times they collaborate with others, sometimes they work on their own. The idea is that I don't do any handholding. I also like to show what has been turned in over the past couple years so they can see what others have done with the project at hand. That many times spurs ideas in students and they proceed from there.

Jenifer Pickens

Posted on Jun 9, 2014 5:31 PM - Permalink

The biggest way I promote creativity is giving students a time and a space to get creative.

I run our schools library, which I have tried to make a special place.

Not only do I have the traditional places you would typically find in a library: Manga, Graphic Novels, arts specific directional books in everything from cooking to beading, but also art work displays, a creative table, with butcher paper for kids to drawl on and all the resources they need to get creative like markers, pens, crayons, etc.

We have pods for working on projects, and try to open our lab time not just to typing and research, but some creative projects too.

Damien Soukhavong

Posted on May 25, 2014 9:43 PM - Permalink

I always try to give the students to have the course they have "their way" (even if in theory that's not possible due to constraints) :
- Ask them what they want to see as examples: for instance, if that's a pig they want in a creative software, I'll do something with a pig in the creative software (great motivating way)
- Ask them what they want to see at exam: apply what I said before (motivates them much better BEFORE and IN-exam)
- Give them freedom on exercises, but not too much: Ask them their objectives. Refer to your own objectives (the constraints, and have priority over theirs). If they do what they want to do (of course, not yelling at each other, sleeping, or disturbing...), they motivate themselves by doing the exercise. But you do lose a lot of time, so get ready to use your general culture to find anecdotes that captivate them!
- Ask them projects. Several projects, "without" deadline (they'll ask when it happens anyway). Without any subject (well, at least in the core area of the course, ask for verification), or from a list. They'll feel free, of doing anything that please them. Motivation!

The main condition is this one: they are able to sustain themselves their work. If they don't know how to work (and I've seen a lot of such cases, maybe 10% of my students), they'll do everything on the eve and never do things in time! (projects, failed exams) - As a Chartered Accounting teacher, it doesn't apply to those students, but to those I have in an another school where students are volunteer to follow the course. I don't know how hard it would be in a mandatory classroom (although mines become mandatory if they show up during the first course).

Dawnette Brenner

Posted on May 24, 2014 8:50 PM - Permalink

The most important factor for me to spark students creativity is to give them exposure and teach them about a variety of mediums to express themselves: videos, online sites to design, digital presentations etc. Once they are exposed and played around with these tools, they can pick and choose which to use to show off their creative sides. Of course the directions are limited, which frustrates them at first, but once they are ready to move on they turn in rather creative projects!

Dena Wilson

Posted on May 23, 2014 5:42 PM - Permalink

I promote creativity several ways...one, not over-explaining the assignment to the point I am telling them how to do it or how I would do it. I would certainly rather frustrate them with too little information than too much. Also I have my walls covered with student work for inspiration. I will always show several examples of whatever it is.Or they can research for ideas - however, they can't only use them for reference not do that exactly! And then finally, I play classic rock music! ha! (Okay, not sure that is a bonafide method, but it does work out nice for me!)

Carmen Fisher

Posted on May 23, 2014 7:40 AM - Permalink

I am a vocational hospitality trainer in Queensland and I try and foster creativity in the students practical classes, however I know I could benefit from learning and applying more creativity tools.

Greg Mayer

Posted on Apr 15, 2014 11:39 PM - Permalink

I promote creativity, by allowing my students to complete a project ow they want. I may assign and give a general rubric of what I am looking for, but how they do it and what they do to the project in particular is their choice.

Ahmed Ali Moselhi

Posted on Jan 22, 2014 9:40 PM - Permalink

You really need a virtual environment to start foster your student to unleash their creativity, student has a seat waiting for your instruction to go through a unique and creative piece of art.

Ask questions and rephrase your requirements in your mind to surprise your student with an interesting task makes them enthusiastic.

Monitor their activities and start brainstorming with some of tips, tricks and flashed inspirations. Give advise to correct some of directions, Share their art and ask them to critic with improvement of elimination and refinement.

Lacey Hale

Posted on Nov 11, 2013 5:39 PM - Permalink

I am encouraging my students to be creative by giving them the tools to create with (Photoshop, Flash, Premiere, In Design, etc.), and assigning projects that have a main focus, but allow for original editing and manipulation. For instance, I will assign them to photograph and create a collage of images on a particular subject. Where they place them, as well as the effects and blending modes they use is totally up to them.

Imelda Hernández

Posted on Nov 5, 2013 7:12 PM - Permalink

Hi, I´m Ime Hernández from México.

To promote individual creativity within the classroom, I designed a series of activities from the description of a case.
For example: the student will create a visual identity for a cultural festival. As a teacher explained to the students the objectives and design guideline.
Each student makes a proposal that is evaluated by their peers. Students receive feedback and make the necessary adjustments in their work. Usually the results are positive, because students strive to design the best proposal.

Ian Fairhurst

Posted on Oct 16, 2013 11:34 PM - Permalink

Hi I'm Ian Fairhurst from Sydney, Australia.

I would say that I am helping students develop creativity in the classroom by identifying my student's interests and let that drive the focus of their learning. Ultimately each student in your care is an individual with individual interests, of course their will be trends amongst a group or generation and this is where project based learning (individual and working in groups) can play a part in focusing your students, yet still allowing them to identify and nurture their own strengths and areas for improvement. @Adobe @adobeedu #CreateNowEdu bit.ly/198jczQ

Karen Brown

Posted on Oct 14, 2013 4:44 PM - Permalink

Hello, I'm Karen Brown form Selma,AL. I teach at a community college for technical and academic students attend to get their foundation classes. I encourage the students to collaborate with each other using technology. The school is adopting the use of rubrics to assist in becoming a more writing centered college, so as I learn about rubrics the students learn about rubrics.

CarolJane Person

Posted on Sep 29, 2013 6:36 PM - Permalink

I'm Carolyn Person from Baton Rouge, LA. I teach in higher education in both our undergraduate and graduate programs. I use the case study method of teaching in allied health. To promote creativity students develop what I call "ClinicBooks". These are actually Adobe portfolios with multimedia. It takes a long time during the semester to produce them. If I used all Adobe products we would move much faster. My goal is to learn how to use Photoshop, Acrobat, Illustrator, etc. to pre-prepare the ClinicBooks so that students will be able to work faster and more efficiently.

Jamie Toivonen

Posted on Sep 26, 2013 5:12 PM - Permalink

Hi! I am Jamie Toivonen from a little town in Montana. I try and foster creativity by first teaching my students how to use the programs we are learning. Once we complete this step, I allow them to come up with their own projects. I find that when decide how they want to proceed with the topics they want to delve into it often times is way more complex than something I would have assignment.

Lauren Ernst

Posted on Sep 25, 2013 1:02 PM - Permalink

Hi! I am Lauren Ernst & I teach high school photography & graphic design. I am in LOVE with my job & I am always striving to make my students classroom experiences, engaging, fun & rewarding. Today we are FINALLY going to open PS for the first time & learn about adjustment layers to edit images. The students have complete creative freedom in how they apply those layer changes to their images as long as they can intelligently discuss their purpose for doing so!

Gregory Sherrill

Posted on Sep 24, 2013 5:10 PM - Permalink

Hi, I am Greg Sherrill and I teach nursing in Crossville, TN. I encourage my students to create "mind maps" to help them to remember complex disease processes. The different thought processes they come up with is truly fascinating. It helps me to visualize what type of learner and thinker they are. Critical thinking skills are so important in our field and this just helps them reinforce the knowledge and skills they have learnt.

christopher A. Kimble

Posted on Sep 3, 2013 8:20 PM - Permalink

I try and let them create the rubric as much as possible at the beginning of an assignment so I don't box anyone in if possible.

Genevieve Bennett

Posted on Aug 29, 2013 5:36 PM - Permalink

I use projects that have to meet certain standards (use certain tools or effects) and then leave the content up to the student.

Kristin McGlothen

Posted on Aug 29, 2013 4:10 PM - Permalink

I teach a digitial photography class at the high school level. Along with our daily PScs5 tutorials, weekly 'themed' photo shoot assignments allow students to take images that are appealing to them rather than setting a specific shoot subject each week. I have gotten some great creative twists on themes provided. I have assigned 'freshmen & birds' this week. They asked if they could shoot freshmen pretending to be birds. My reply was yes, but it only counted as one of the themes. ;-) Once they have their shots, they bring them back to PS and edit them using the techniques we have learned that week. At the end of the quarter we will revisit their contact sheet and find images that can be edited and published into a final project book highlighting their individual creative flow for the term.

Matthew Corkum

Posted on Aug 29, 2013 3:54 PM - Permalink

We start the year with a 3-day project. We have upwards of 70 students in two blocks. They are put into small groups the first day and tasked with creating an identity for their block (rather than us call them A and B all year).

By noon on the third day, they have to create a presentation to sell their idea to the rest of the class, including a Keynote or PowerPoint, a video, a piece of audio, photos, and a poster they have to print and display on the wall.

The make lasting friendships, they let their imaginations and creativity run wild, and they surpass all expectations with what they accomplish in 2.5 days.

Brian Dawson

Posted on Aug 17, 2013 10:00 AM - Permalink

In teaching science concepts, I use project based learning with Flash/Edge with students so that they may create unique, individually creative animations that show mastery of the science concepts being taught (https://eduadvisory.adobeconnect.com/_a13846108/p95983954/).

Middle school students are keen to creative tools and using them in the core curricular areas is something we all should strive for. This is the beginning of the Education Revolution and you're leading the way. Well done.

Eleonora González

Posted on Jul 31, 2013 1:35 AM - Permalink

Hello, I work in Uruguay with teenagers, they learn illustrator, dreamweaver and office package essentially. I understand that my creativity should not influence the creativity of my students, so the technique that gives me good result is:
Example Illustrator:

• Divide the work into lessons, with a design to make.
  • Teaching tools are expected to use for the design, using a projector showing where they are and how they must to be used, invite them to practice using these tools in small examples.
  • Show several finished designs that meet the objectives but are different from each other
  • Invite them to make their own design knowing the tools and the basic design requirements to be performed.

Naturally students who have little desire or creativity are copying one of the models, and those who are motivated give us nice surprises. Anyway, the goal is to learn new tools, and make a design by themselves.

These creativity and motivation issues are interesting for me, at times is not easy to get students engaged with their learning.

Greetings.

marcia blanco

Posted on Jul 30, 2013 4:35 AM - Permalink

I agree with Dan. The first thing that you need to establish is safety and trust. They need to trust you as well as each other. I also spend time (because I have the luxury of having them for 10hours/week for two years) playing. We do odyssey of the mind games, collaborative drawing and silly, kind of quick art projects and photography projects that I don't bother to assess. We just look and laugh. I watch my students (who for the most part come into the program thinking in a single straight line) start to really flex in the directions they take problem solving and designing. It's why I do this job.

I find it helps to feed them, too. On Mondays, I bring in bagels, cheese sticks and apples and we have our weekly meeting to go over expectations and issues. It fosters a family kind of feel. I can get a lot out of them when their stomachs are full.

As far as assessment, that is something I've been struggling with. However, under the professional development tab in AEE, there is a nifty group of workshops on developing and assessing creativity. Also, Aaron Roberts has a great discussion thread called "Critique my rubric." I went in to critique it and ended up just downloading it. You may find that really helpful.

Good luck and let me know how it goes!

Dan Armstrong

Posted on Jul 30, 2013 7:04 AM - Permalink

Odyssey of the Mind! I has been a while since I thought about that one, Great idea!

Dan Armstrong

Posted on Jul 29, 2013 5:41 PM - Permalink

I make sure that they understand that there is no wrong answer early on. It has to be a safe place so that the students understand it's okay to fail. Also I think it is important to show them exemplar work to set a high standard. Set the bar high and they will reach it. Creativity can only be fostered in a safe environment with a teacher that has a vision of what it is possible.

Meredith Blache

Posted on Jul 29, 2013 6:14 PM - Permalink

How do you grade their work based off creativity? Do you provide a rubric?

Dan Armstrong

Posted on Jul 29, 2013 8:16 PM - Permalink

Yes a rubric. We use the classroom in a book to teach them step by step, then I let them do the project that is less directed with a rubric. Often their is a contest from Business Professionals of America that I can use for the assessment and this prepares them for the actual contest later in the year.