Are you disruptive? Do you ask "Why?"

Posted on Apr 3, 2014 by ellen flaherty Latest activity: Sep 16, 2014

11 3,210
  • 6 Ratings

A really interesting piece from EdSurge this week on asking "Why" concerning your teaching practice. What are you thoughts on how this applies to you, your students, and your classroom?

Comments (11)

Jody Campbell

Posted on Sep 16, 2014 9:31 PM - Permalink

From an instructor's point of view asking why challenges the student to think...but that's already be discussed below so I will want to turn it around and look at from the students point of view. How many times have you heard (or have said)...why do I need to know this? I'm thinking back to my math classes where I asked myself that question just about everyday.

It is absolutely important to help students realize why they are learning the concepts you are introducing them to and how it relates to their interests. If my math teacher had demonstrated to me that learning measurements, conversions, factions, angles etc. would benefit fit me today in building die-lines for custom packaging I would have paid closer attention and asked more questions.

It's our job as instructors to make content relevant to our students so that their question of why is answered.

Bhuvana Sriram

Posted on Aug 8, 2014 12:57 PM - Permalink

I like this topic of discussion. Asking 'Why' makes the learners to think and sometimes we receive more different answers from learners which will enhance process of learning as well as teaching

uma ravi

Posted on Aug 8, 2014 12:00 PM - Permalink

Asking Why? is very important in the teaching process as every why has an answer which definitely enhances the teaching learning process.

uma ravi

Posted on Aug 8, 2014 11:45 AM - Permalink

Asking Why? is very important in the teaching process as every why has an answer which definitely enhances the teaching learning process.

Andrew Kutchera

Posted on Aug 7, 2014 9:56 PM - Permalink

I really like this topic, and I think that this is important – both for the one who asks it and for the one who tries to give an answer. I feel so fortunate to be a teacher, and in the process of asking 'why' to so many of my students, I end up learning more about the subject that I teach. By constantly digging for answers, both parties come away with a deeper understanding.

Vicki Stephens

Posted on Sep 16, 2014 9:03 PM - Permalink

Well said Sir. We work with the How but most importantly, the Why. First, we must know why we do what we do, students included. I too feel fortunate to be a teacher and afforded the opportunity to teach. The ability to think critically is one of the most important skills we will need to learn and to teach. Motivating students, setting and achieving goals are what produces progress in this process. No two students are the same so we must learn who they are and tune ourselves accordingly as pointed out in the shared article. Changing students perspective by helping them see themselves and their relationship to their own success is a challenge. Playing a role in this process is rewarding.

Tony Bolder

Posted on Apr 25, 2014 9:35 AM - Permalink

I think there is a case for using the word 'Why' to instigate self learning in your teaching, especially when it comes to technology, as this will inevitably become part of your teaching in some way.

Michelle Dennis

Posted on Apr 11, 2014 11:50 AM - Permalink

In my role as an eLearning Manager, I find that 'why' is the first and most important question we need to ask. As a technology enthusiast, it is too easy to leap onto the latest tech trend just simply because "it's cool". Technology needs to serve a purpose - it needs to enrich the education process, not be a distractor. As an added benefit, by asking the question early enough, we are sometimes prompted to find new applications and be more innovative.

ellen flaherty

Posted on Apr 14, 2014 12:53 AM - Permalink

I absolutely agree Michelle. Technology should never get in the way of the learning, but enhance it - and if it doesn't you probably shouldn't be using it! I also love the questioning section and getting teachers and students to reflect more. It's important to set learning goals for whatever it is your teaching and to assess whether or not those goals are being met - reflection is a great way of doing so.

tony bailey

Posted on Apr 6, 2014 11:28 PM - Permalink

I find the hardest part of teaching Digital Technology, is that students are at different levels. I have the ones who can program in Python to the students who struggle with Scratch.

ellen flaherty

Posted on Apr 14, 2014 12:54 AM - Permalink

That's very true. What kinds of strategies have you used to deal with this?