Should students purchase their own computers and software in order to take a college Adobe class?

Posted on Apr 10, 2013 by Ronald Dyer Latest activity: Sep 24, 2013

4 4,432
  • 1 Rating

Should students purchase their own computers and software in order to take a college Adobe class?

If students have to purchase their computer and software what are the advances?

Currently our college supplies the computer and software in the lab for their use.

What does you college do?

Comments (4)

carolyn brown

Posted on Sep 24, 2013 10:11 PM - Permalink

My college provides computer labs with Adobe apps for students on campus. But all of my classes are fully online, so I have structured the online classes to use the free 30-day trial versions of Adobe apps.

Mark DuBois

Posted on Aug 12, 2013 5:42 PM - Permalink

I teach web related classes at a community college in Illinois. All our classes are online. We have gone to this model (where students are asked to purchase a Creative Cloud subscription). The majority of students in our program are aspiring professionals and need the appropriate tools. Those on financial aid are able to purchase a Visa gift card which they can then apply towards the CC license. This may only work in Illinois or at community colleges so I recommend checking thoroughly before attempting this on your campus.

The classes we teach are all online so it is not practical for us to have a full lab. We do have a small number of computers in a lab area and hold open lab sessions on selected nights of each week (for those students in the vicinity of our main campus). Several do take advantage of this, but the majority need to have their own copies of the software as they are trying to complete various assignments outside of our optional lab hours.

Leonard Lopez

Posted on Jul 16, 2013 5:31 PM - Permalink

I don't believe a student should have to purchase a computer or the software in order to take a computer based class.

In my classroom we have 35 mac computers that are loaded with all of the software necessary for the course. I do allow students to work on a particular assignment from home if they have a computer and the software but the course is designed to allow each student enough time to complete each assignment during class hours.

Tammy Moore

Posted on May 5, 2013 1:52 AM - Permalink

If the major the student is taking will lead them to a career using those tools as a critical part of being prepared for the workforce, I lean toward the student providing them. If they buy them while they are a student, they get them at the student discount. If they do not end up buying them until they graduate, they will face full retail - assumption here as that the school supplied computer and software is loaner/rental in nature. If the school supplies the computer and software, we all know that the student is still paying for them anyway through tuition. If the college wraps the purchase of the computer and software up in the tuition with the student owning, not just renting the equipment, then the advantage is that scholarship, grant, and loan moneys will often be usable for the purchase. That can be a big assist for cash strapped students and families. I have seen the computer and software being a required part of the tuition though where students that already have a computer and the software end up paying unnecessarily for the school supplied one. That is a big chunk of change to throw away when the purchase isn't needed.

I think I would go nuts if the only access I had to the software was the lab. I work best in my own environment where I can spread out and have everything handy. Even if you work in a design shop instead of freelancing after graduation, you usually have a dedicated space. Not so in a lab. When students have their own machines and software, it can go where they go.