Beliefs about Creativity

Posted on May 21, 2013 by Adobe Education Latest activity: Sep 13, 2014

68 9,943
  • 16 Ratings

Discuss your reaction (or beliefs) prompted by the findings from recent research by 1000 working professionals.

Specifically:

• 57% of college educated professionals believe creativity is a learned skill that can be learned in their career, while 65% believe it is a personality trait that is innate
  • 88% agree creativity should be built into education curriculums, and 72% agree they were more focused on subject matter than creative thinking in school
  • 85% agree creative thinking is critical for problem solving in their career but nearly one-third (32%) do not feel comfortable thinking creatively at work

What can you infer from the research finding? What matters about this research finding? Why is it important?

This discussion post is part of the Adobe Education Exchange Professional Development Workshop called Creativity in 21st Century Classrooms: Explore Creativity in Today's Classroom.

Comments (68)

Gaye Kershaw

Posted on Sep 13, 2014 10:20 AM - Permalink

• 57% of college educated professionals believe creativity is a learned skill that can be learned in their career while 65% believe it is a personality trait that is innate.
I think that a person's innate curiosity, sense of wonder and need to understand drives creativity and we all possess these traits. They are what past, present and future civilisations are based upon. They support our ability to adapt and keep adapting to rapid change (the mind's fancy footwork!!). Have a listen to the podcast series from the British Museum 'A History of the World in 100 Objects', telling the story of what civilisations have imagined, designed, crafted and refined. Foster your own curiosity and inspire and teach others to realise the potential of there's. Don't wait for managers to give permission;)

Mamdouh Samy

Posted on Sep 12, 2014 12:48 PM - Permalink

I think the 32% who don't feel comfortable thinking creatively at work would be mostly attributed to managers who don't give enough freedom for creativity to be practiced or expressed freely.

This should be built into every education and work system so you can get the best of your employees or students at work.

Kate Jordahl

Posted on Sep 9, 2014 6:32 PM - Permalink

From Play, Playfulness, Creativity and Innovation By Patrick Bateson and Paul Martin, they site a study where it is found that bears that play more have a higher survival rate - - (Fagen and Fagen 2009). This seems relevant to the third research finding: 85% agree creative thinking is critical for problem solving in their career but nearly one-third (32%) do not feel comfortable thinking creatively at work. I think this can be tied to the support for learning to the test and the fear of being wrong that is created by that modality of learning. We need to open up our students to the thrill of being creative and the power of taking a chance on their ideas.

Tony Bolder

Posted on Sep 7, 2014 10:07 AM - Permalink

I think that creativity is an inherent attribute within all humans, from the day we are born. At an early age developing that skill is dependent on parents, as the young reach school age that dependency then transfers to the schools. Creativity within those schools relies on the type of curriculum they use, and how they use the students creative skills. Another variable on being creative, is that each one of us is an individual, and that means we all tend to develop and make progress at different speeds, and at different levels.

I don't think that creativity is a skill that is learned from others, but it is the tools to be creative that can be learned, and with this learning our creative skills can then develop further. At that early age we start off with, for example, a cardboard box, pencils, paints and paper (although these days some very young tend to have access to reasonable sophisticated methods), as we get older we then venture into more sophisticated methods of using our creative skills, for example, computers and the software on them. It is at this point we need to learn how to use the software to be creative, from here it is down to each individual as to how they develop and make use of their inherent creative skills.

Cosma Ioana Maria

Posted on Sep 7, 2014 7:13 AM - Permalink

Creativity is a skill and also a personality trait. Creativity develops during teaching career but need and schedule for future generations.

Shelly Gooden

Posted on Aug 31, 2014 8:14 AM - Permalink

These numbers suggest that educator concerns regarding the transfer of critical thinking skills, which includes creative problem solving, are founded.

Jered Martinez

Posted on Aug 31, 2014 5:02 AM - Permalink

Ever seen a child not know how to play with blocks or color? Only after we "teach" them that we need to color within the lines and the blocks have to be stacked and lined up do we seek approval for getting things right, because adding a lego to a barbie doll isn't "right." Okay, so things are not this simple or straight forward. I do think that creativity and the ability to bounce back failure are closely connected. You keep failing. You try again. You find a new way to accomplish the task, then you just created something. Many think that when you create something it must work for the purpose you intended. I've created many decorative "paper weights" when learning the best way to remove hard drives. We must teach and accept that failure is a part of creating.

jackie sewell

Posted on Aug 27, 2014 5:03 PM - Permalink

My students are so afraid of 'getting it wrong' - creativity helps build confidence when facing learning challenges / difficult concepts.

Bhuvana Sriram

Posted on Aug 25, 2014 4:52 PM - Permalink

There is a mixed feeling that creativity can be learned in a person's career and some feel that it is one of the innate quality of a person. Also many have the feeling of including creativity in curriculum and at the same time we have to focus on subject matter. I also agree that creative thinking is critical for problem solving in career. I infer from the analysis that creativity in education is essential to achieve a successful career and to live a successful life.

Vicky North

Posted on Aug 25, 2014 2:44 PM - Permalink

I do not think that you are born with an innate sense of creativity. You can be born with a talent that will help you be more creative, such as the way some children can draw and color what they see at very young ages. Or a choreographer can hear music and create images with dancers. Creativity comes when we are given the space, time, and acceptance to make mistakes and learn from them. Creativity is more a flexible state of mind, and so I believe it can be nurtured, but not necessarily taught.

Kris Hill

Posted on Aug 19, 2014 10:09 PM - Permalink

Creativity is what keeps kids interested in school. If we can structure classes to provide for creativity, we will win back students who have given up.

Ceallaigh Norman

Posted on Aug 16, 2014 11:08 PM - Permalink

I agree that the scope for creativity should be built into education curriculums. Curriculums often limit their summative and formative assessment criteria which limits the ways in which students can approach the work and the expected outcomes have a tendency to be priscriptive which limits rather than nurtures creativity.

Gaye Kershaw

Posted on Sep 13, 2014 10:24 AM - Permalink

Agreed, but don't let this stop us from trying.:)

Barbara Swanner

Posted on Aug 10, 2014 2:22 AM - Permalink

• I believe that creativity can be nurtured in individuals, but creativity to me is not the same as talent which I do believe is an innate trait. I have been teaching art for over 10 years to high school students and adults and I have seen real growth in their abilities and their confidence in their ability with each new successful project. I have seen as an individual gains confidence and is shown it is okay to try and sometimes fail they become more willing to try new ideas and often develop more unique and creative solutions to problems as a result of this growth.

Janette Wotherspoon

Posted on Jul 30, 2014 12:08 AM - Permalink

I agree with Leigh Howser's comment very much. I think education can quickly become bogged down in compliance and academic requirements with the loss of how creativity can be fostered. Creativity should be encouraged in all forms to enhance academic outcomes and requirements. It is difficult to assess creativity because it is not always visual, it can be the backing of thought and motivation behind the process that is the creativity.

tannizia anthony

Posted on Jul 28, 2014 4:19 PM - Permalink

i believe everyone have a creative side the same way there is an unknown side, with guidance and nurturing this creativeness can be develop and become known. However, our education system needs to place more emphasis on subjects to enhance this and not put it on the back burner for "more important subject."

Phil Feain

Posted on Jul 22, 2014 1:01 AM - Permalink

Creativity is about the long term and not about results. It is about what is being created and how it is created. The process. While the result is about getting there it is not necessarily about a score, grade or quantifiable result. It is about the value or worth of the work. This is where you see children enjoy preschool. They love learning by creating, doing. The opportunities to include more creativity in the classroom is already here. Leaders and decision makers just need to place a priority on it.

Leigh Howser

Posted on Jul 21, 2014 10:41 AM - Permalink

Everyone can be creative given the opportunity. Our current education system makes it very difficult to foster and encourage creativity due to the demands of the curriculum teachers are finding less and less time in the class schedule. Subjects that were traditionally more creative such as the arts are being put on the back shelf in order to focus more on what is deemed the "core" or more important subjects.

uma ravi

Posted on Jul 16, 2014 7:04 AM - Permalink

• 85% agree creative thinking is critical for problem solving in their career but nearly one-third (32%) do not feel comfortable thinking creatively at work..With the syllabus oriented classes and the time constraint to finish the syllabus,testing of students mostly rote memory,assesing for pass or fail,there is hardly anyroom created for creativity.
  • In my opinion the syllbus and methodology of teaching should be changed by incorporating more creativityto enhance solving the problems.

Linda Cheng

Posted on Jul 15, 2014 4:11 PM - Permalink

57% of college educated professionals believe creativity is a learned skill that can be learned in their career, while 65% believe it is a personality trait that is innate...

I believe creativity is part of an individual, it is our responsibility as an educator to nurture that creativity within each individual. Help them to explore, use and apply it to everyday life.

Karen Ellis

Posted on Jul 15, 2014 11:05 AM - Permalink

57% of college educated professionals believe creativity is a learned skill that can be learned in their career, while 65% believe it is a personality trait that is innate. ... ... I am not surprised with this comment given our education system does little to support creativity.

I think as teachers we need to provide opportunities for creativity and allow students options in how they contribute to learning and submit assessments. Teachers have a huge influence on students participation and confidence to be creative.

Laurie Myers

Posted on Jul 14, 2014 7:49 PM - Permalink

As an art educator for 26 years, I have always been concerned of the lack of creativity in our schools. I have fortunately seen a gradual shift to adding creative aspects and components to various subject matters but it's not everyone and it just isn't enough. Elementary and some middle school teachers are more willing to have and maintain a creative environment. High school and higher ed. teachers are not as willing and I believe it is due to a lack of confidence. It may be administrators should spend professional development time with their faculty incorporating creative skills. I believe we are not doing a good job keeping up with the ever-changing global world. There needs to be a complete change in the public educational system. Unfortunately we depend on politicians to make or enforce this change. Most politicians don't have a clue about the educational needs of our students. So what do we do? Where do we go from here? It appears that only a handful of educators are confident enough to make the change.

Valery Keibler

Posted on Jul 14, 2014 6:00 PM - Permalink

I think creativity is awaiting inside each of us to be used in a specific area. Sometimes it takes tenacity to figure out where our areas of original thinking are and where we can apply our creativity. I don't think we are generally creative, but are specifically creative.

Tarek Bahaa El Deen

Posted on Jul 14, 2014 11:46 AM - Permalink

I believe that creativity is both a learned skill but also an innate skill that some people are born with.

Lourdes Fuller

Posted on Jul 14, 2014 12:25 AM - Permalink

Everyone can be creative, just as everyone of us has an imagination. The trouble is that creativity is not supported in our societies. We live in a fast passed world where productivity is rewarded and creativity is discouraged. Our schools reflect that model…. teach the standards and assess what was taught. Creative subjects that are expensive and hard to measure, such as art and music, are being eliminated from the curriculum.

I think teachers, parents and community/industry leaders need to stand up and advocate for creativity in our schools. I applaude the efforts Adobe is making by investing resources of time and money in our schools. With the right support we can start the creative revolution in education.

deston tanner

Posted on Jul 13, 2014 8:57 PM - Permalink

https://www.coursera.org/course/innovation

Jody Chapel

Posted on Jul 13, 2014 5:38 PM - Permalink

"57% of college educated professionals believe creativity is a learned skill that can be learned in their career while 65% believe it is a personality trait that is innate."

I can see why people think this. People often equate creativity with an innate ability to draw realistically. When they hear I am an art teacher they say, “I don’t have a creative bone in my body.” What they often really mean is “I can’t draw.” And that often means that they feel that cannot draw realistically. It is my goal as an educator to separate this association and to help people realize that they can be creative in many ways AND they can also learn how to draw better realistically—if that is what they really want.

Frank Vandenburg

Posted on Jul 13, 2014 3:36 AM - Permalink

I think that the results about creativity being built into learning are telling. I also think that man times the opportunity that is most often missed to build creativity into learning is during the assessment of learning. With all of the tools available, there are lots of different ways to demonstrate mastery of material, and this avoids many of the issues around mandated curriculum standards.

Gloria Espinoza

Posted on Jul 9, 2014 2:01 AM - Permalink

"57% of college educated professionals believe creativity is a learned skill that can be learned in their career, while 65% believe it is a personality trait that is innate"I was surprised to see that 57% of college professionals believe that creativity is a learned skill. I would have thought that this percentage would of been higher. Thinking about it, any skill can be learned as long as it comes within. If someone is willing to learn a new skill, they will go out of their way to get to where one has to be in order to successfully learn the specific trait. Skills are like hidden treasures buried within every individual but the correct tools and mindset is needed in order to develop the skill to its fullest potential.

Paul Hebron

Posted on Jul 6, 2014 3:40 AM - Permalink

What I found most surprising from the survey Creativity and Education is that 32% of the respondents don't feel comfortable thinking creatively in their work. This is interesting considering 78% say it's important in their careers. One of the most compelling arguments for teaching creativity is the source itself. The respondents are an employed and college educated segment of our society. Imagine how society might be elevated by teaching creative thinking as a fundamental part of the curriculum and how that type of education might benefit the business community.

Henry Sandoval

Posted on Jul 6, 2014 12:03 AM - Permalink

I agree with this discussion, especially that it can be learned and I strongly believe that creativity is important in work environment.

Stephanie Davidson

Posted on Jul 5, 2014 11:46 PM - Permalink

K-12 teachers to constricted with time and standards that it is hard for them to encourage creativity without dismissing some content required. However, I believe that thought process is from the "old school" and current teachers graduating are learning more techniques to bring creativity to the table. I am "older" but fairly new at teaching and I encourage students to apply their learning anyway they feel is applicable. But, I am not a core teacher. I would think thought that if I were I would do the same with core. However, students are taught by the stringency of testing and right or wrong answers, they are afraid they are not able to be creative. When I give the students optional allocations, they do not know what to do with it.

Kathleen Schassen

Posted on Jun 26, 2014 5:26 PM - Permalink

Before we can really infer anything from the research findings, I think it's important to know how "creativity" was defined in the study/studies. Creativity is to some extent a cultural concept. Americans in particular have the view that creativity somehow emerges from "somewhere" -- thus the finding that many feel it is an innate trait -- when, in fact, if you ask a person who creates something (art, music, business plans, etc.) how they "do it", they will most certainly tell you that they follow some sort of process to arrive at the creative product. In my experience, this is the most difficult, but empowering concept to relate to students: creativity is a process.

What is most important about the finding that 85% feel that creative thinking is critical for problem solving, but 32% don't feel comfortable thinking creatively at work is that people may self-categorize as "not creative" or that there is a disconnect about what qualifies as "creative" or for the value of creativity. Creativity takes time. It means defining the "problem" correctly. It means research. It means curiosity, testing, playing and evaluating. It means not being afraid to "fail". So, ultimately, to foster creativity (yes, it can be learned, but it is probably more easily unlearned), we need to encourage our students to experiment without fear of failure.

Paul Hebron

Posted on Jul 7, 2014 5:40 PM - Permalink

Excellent point Kathleen. How did they define "creativity" was a question I had also. Honestly, I think most people have to think creatively in their jobs. They may not recognize it as such because of a faulty understanding of what creativity is. If they have to do any problem solving then they are participating in a creative exercise.

Great post.

Ernest Whiteman

Posted on Jun 26, 2014 3:06 PM - Permalink

I agree that creativity is both innate and learned. We are born with it but it is how we develop it that is critical. I work with teachers through AYV and I have seen that the teacher is the primary lead in creativity on the most innate level of critical self-critique. While I find it true that curricula and school structure stifle creativity in favor of rote learning and testing, creativity can still be fostered in small ways, "in the moment" as I say. It is the leads, the teachers that can have an impact on how a student feels about their own creativity. The students look to the teacher on a day-to-day basis and when a teacher publicly announces how "uncreative I am", the students tend to follow their lead. I have seen teachers timidly try to teach student new media skills and the results are haphazard, while teachers that taught it passionately, with confidence in their skills, students follow the lead have led to great strides in a student's confidence. I wonder how their research touched on these factors, the leadership of the workplace, the classrooms?

Lynn Dixon Gonzales

Posted on Jun 24, 2014 8:07 PM - Permalink

I see each of these statements as intertwined. In an education system that values test results more than creativity, we do not encourage our students to enhance their creative ability, they then grow to consider these skills a gift rather than discovering their own talents. If you feel you are not blessed with these gifts you will focus on what you need to do to accomplish a given task rather than how you can express this creatively. In turn, this learned behavior transplants itself into the workplace where employees do what they have to in a way that they’ve been told to do, rather than thinking outside of the box.

Lana Powers

Posted on Jun 17, 2014 2:10 PM - Permalink

I have to admit that I was of the mindset that creativity was an innate trait. I was wrong. Through my experience, I have seen how creativity and abilities that I deemed innate were developed when encouraged or uncovered. I am only surprised by the 72% agree they were more focused on subject matter than creative thinking in school. I would have thought that number to be higher. This is very interesting data and should be used to promote creativity within curriculum.

Adam Figueira

Posted on Jun 16, 2014 9:30 PM - Permalink

To me, the first finding is the most important, because it reveals a fundamental disbelief in our own ability to be creative. The fact that this study involved college educated professionals indicates that the root may indeed lie in our education system. It would be interesting to see the same study done with individuals of the same age who have not completed college. I wonder if their view of creativity would be more optimistic. Kids are inherently creative, and I worry that we pound that out of them at school.

Natasha Amegbe

Posted on May 18, 2014 8:46 PM - Permalink

My reactions to these findings especially the following;

"57% of college educated professionals believe creativity is a learned skill that can be learned in their career, while 65% believe it is a personality trait that is innate".

Is slightly shocking. I feel that any form of talent or personality trait can be learned. This is through encouraging the right mindset.
It seems that these sample of professionals view creativity as something which is part of nature which they are right to believe as we are all born with a set of characteristics, but I much rather the viewpoint of encouraging creativity through nurture and providing the right environment to be able to develop these skill sets.
Dr Carol Dweck in her book Mindset covers these issues through concepts of a Fixed Mindset and a Growth Mindset.
It provides a interesting read on how we can all develop potential.
Creativity should and is being taught in schools, through teachers who have passion for their subject matter. The gap lies with teachers who have very archaic teaching methods and refuse to adapt to the changing needs of the students/learners through the use of technology.

Kathleen Schassen

Posted on Jun 26, 2014 5:27 PM - Permalink

Thanks for the tip about the book "Mindset". I'll check it out.

Myron Williams

Posted on Apr 17, 2014 11:08 AM - Permalink

Creativity is born inborn and yet learned. When young children are set in environments where they are free to explore their minds are extremely creative. But too often when they get into school their creativity is boxed an put away. As a college instructor we worked hard at unleashing creativity in students in a class on creativity. Most of them found themselves surprised that creativity was still part of who they are, it just needed to be released. We used art, music, writing, photography as the primary tools with which students worked,

Even at the graduate level in education i seek to unleash creativity in the learners. We explore physical space for teaching as well as social and person spaces for learning. It is in exploring these spaces, when there are no "rules" except learning, that students are surprised they are capable of creating such spaces, and then implementing them when they go back to their home bases.

As a follower of Jesus I also believe we are created in the image of God, and at least part of that image is creative. How that plays out is unique for each person, and is somewhat based on inborn traits, but also areas that can be nurtured and developed with the right spaces and assistance.

delia delgadillo

Posted on Mar 21, 2014 2:57 AM - Permalink

• 57% of college educated professionals believe creativity is a learned skill that can be learned in their career, while 65% believe it is a personality trait that is innate
  • 88% agree creativity should be built into education curriculums, and 72% agree they were more focused on subject matter than creative thinking in school
  • 85% agree creative thinking is critical for problem solving in their career but nearly one-third (32%) do not feel comfortable thinking creatively at work
Well I personally think creativity is a skill that can and should be taught to children. I use to think creativity was a personality trait but after taking this class I do not think that anymore. Yes , some people are naturally creative and open minded and willing to try new things. While others need that extra time and push toward a creative outcome. I think creativity being pushed into the curriculum is going to be hard on some teachers because there is not enough resources and time. Teachers in public schools are under a lot of pressure and it is hard to let creative assignments be in the curriculm if there is always testing and standards that need to be met . There is also a lot of rules against creative teaching and letting the curriculm change from its usual route. I think it is funny that we teach our students that creative thinking is what will advance you in life and yet most people are not comfortable sharing their ideas in thei work place. How is that possible?

Brad Woolley

Posted on Mar 19, 2014 5:19 PM - Permalink

I am of the opinion that creativity is a learned skill however, I do believe that there are those who have a propensity to be more imaginative and creative than others. I critical element to creativity is the ability to seek and welcome change. Creativity also comes in a myriad of skills. I, for example, am far more creative when it comes to designing curriculum for my classes than I am when it comes to artistic endeavors. Keeping in mind that I have spent little time trying to develop my artistic skills and lack even a basic understanding in composition, perspective, texture, lighting, design, etc. I do believe if it became important to me I could learn to become a creative and innovative photographer, for example, by investing the energy and time I've invested in developing curriculum for my classes.

Oran Blackwood

Posted on Mar 6, 2014 8:44 AM - Permalink

• 88% agree creativity should be built into education curriculums and 72% agree they were more focused on subject matter than creative thinking in school.
Although many teachers I work with feel that this is central to holistic understanding of subject matter and allows to students to think about knowledge that is presented to them in new and unique ways, they feel that they cannot infuse this element into their teaching because of curriculum constraints. We are heading for a national curriculum that will sideline creative subjects as a whole and stigmatise them as being non-critical for future development and employment opportunities. We foresee a future that will breed in stagnation to industries and leave us behind in a world that thrives on innovation.

Elizabeth Fitzgerald

Posted on Feb 18, 2014 9:48 PM - Permalink

I think it is interesting that such a large percentage of people (65%) believe that creativity is a personality trait. I think it needs to start with educators having a growth mindset within themselves, so that they can then teach students that you can do anything you set your mind to, including being creative! Anyone can be creative--it is a process that we need to foster in our youth and within ourselves!

Olu Ojuroye

Posted on Jan 24, 2014 10:50 AM - Permalink

This research finding is very impressive because it engender in people the wholesome awareness that creativity as a topic should be taken seriously by more people in the 21st century education.

Olu Ojuroye

Olu Ojuroye

Posted on Jan 24, 2014 10:44 AM - Permalink

I will go with the second statistic half way. The reason for this is that, I agree with the 88% that creativity should be built into education curriculum and I am currently planning to suggest that to a University in Africa where I am currently affiliated. On the other hand, I have my reservation with the 72% who still think creativity should be subject matter specific. This is the thinking of the old. We need to refer them to listen to Ted Robinson Talk Show.

Olu Ojuroye

Ursula Cable

Posted on Jan 24, 2014 4:45 AM - Permalink

Creative thinking is such a key component of any job that it is really quite confronting to think that 85% of people are uncomfortable with this element of their job. I know that students are often hesitant to put their creative endeavors into the public forum (in the classroom at least) but clearly we need to be giving them more experience, and consequently confidence in doing this, if we want to set them up for success. Consistency in learning environments would be integral to this success. Students need to feel safe and respected to be prepared to put their ideas out there. I wonder if this is why people are uncomfortable doing this in the workplace. We put so much of ourselves into creative products that we open ourselves up to criticism on a personal level.

Ursula Cable

Posted on Jan 24, 2014 4:44 AM - Permalink

Creative thinking is such a key component of any job that it is really quite confronting to think that 85% of people are uncomfortable with this element of their job. I know that students are often hesitant to put their creative endeavors into the public forum (in the classroom at least) but clearly we need to be giving them more experience, and consequently confidence in doing this, if we want to set them up for success. Consistency in learning environments would be integral to this success. Students need to feel safe and respected to be prepared to put their ideas out there. I wonder if this is why people are uncomfortable doing this in the workplace. We put so much of ourselves into creative products that we open ourselves up to criticism on a personal level.

MONICA RAMIREZ

Posted on Jan 20, 2014 1:08 AM - Permalink

Creativity is a competence that should be enriched in education! We should stop teaching for improving test´s results, we should design test that measure competences and skills rather than knowledge. We should support the education of creative children able to improve or change processes, create proposals and change the world. Every single discipline requires creativity. Even though a discipline may need memorization and specific standards to follow, the professionals of the 21st century should be able to create new choices, new opportunities and new strategies to develop a better job. If I think about my education, I agree with the 72% of people that say that curriculums were focused more on subject matter than on creative thinking. My passion for teaching made me discover a creative person that I never though I was. What would have happened if I would have been part of an education system supported in developing creativity skills?

alessandro anglisani

Posted on Sep 4, 2013 9:27 AM - Permalink

i must read a sir Ken Robinson book....i think creativity is innate but at the same time it could be taught ...but how??

Deb Joseph

Posted on Sep 2, 2013 11:04 PM - Permalink

Curriculum must shift from total concept/topic/subject matter coverage to offering more opportunities for deeper topic explorations. Hopefully the Common Core will help leverage a change into deeper explorations in a given topic. Someone mentioned below - and I agree - that the creative process takes time. So often Educators/Admin are pressed for time and don't slow down enough to allow for creativity to happen.

I also believe these numbers reflect an opinion that people are either born with Talent/Creativity or not. People in general are often impatient - they want it all perfect on their first pass on any given project. Creativity can be nurtured by helping people be patient with themselves. To learn to work through the first efforts that fall flat. Endurance. It takes stamina and endurance to foster and grow creativity and creatively. That and the curiosity to continue.

Carolina Creciente

Posted on Sep 1, 2013 1:04 AM - Permalink

I believe what is important about this research is that there is something going on and it seems no one is addressing the issue. 88% is a huge number, and I don´t see changes happening in school curriculums. With regards to the 32%, I believe the pressure of the need of immediate results prevent people from attempting being creative at work. Creativity, as a process, takes time, and sometimes we are expected to solve problems right away, we don´t have time for the process. At least that´s how I´ve felt sometimes. If you add to that that someone at work might think that you are wasting time, and they are wasting money paying for your salary, then it´s no wonder people don´t feel comfortable being creative at work.

Belinda Caulfield

Posted on Aug 28, 2013 3:31 PM - Permalink

57% of college educated professionals believe creativity is a learned skill that can be learned in their career while 65% believe it is a personality trait that is innate.

I think creativity is both a learned skill and also an innate skill that some people are born with. Some people are just born with creative skills and continue being creative throughout their life, whilst some people lose the creativity through school or work as they are trained to see a task on a linear level in that there are processes you must follow to achieve an outcome, others may question the processes and are not afraid to try a different approach. If you look at some primary schools where the students are encouraged to try different approaches to achieve an outcome where in comprehensive or college learners are encouraged to follow procedures to achieve an outcome. A lot of learners find it difficult to think creatively as there is great pressure on them passing exams.

Susan Remmen

Posted on Aug 26, 2013 3:13 AM - Permalink

88% agree creativity should be built into education curriculums, and 72% agree they were more focused on subject matter than creative thinking in school

Creativity takes more time than just focusing on subject matter, but students will be more engaged and learning will be deeper and be retained. Creative lessons also are cross-curricular so more requirements can be learned at the same time.

Lee Nagy

Posted on Aug 15, 2013 3:41 AM - Permalink

Creativity is the key to success, no matter how it is defined.

Jean Alderson

Posted on Aug 14, 2013 3:06 PM - Permalink

Creativity grows in open trusting environments; I believe some people might be born with their creative juices flowing and some like me need time for them to get going.

O Valdivia

Posted on Aug 12, 2013 5:17 AM - Permalink

88% agree creativity should be built into education curriculums, and 72% agree they were more focused on subject matter than creative thinking in school

I do agree with this statement. Instructors are more focus about their curriculum and worry about test scores. It is important that our students learn for life and to do that we need to make our classes fun, relevant, and current to the students time (not the teachers time) without compromising quality education.

Star Mitrani

Posted on Aug 12, 2013 4:56 AM - Permalink

It is very interesting to note that although we value creativity at work, we do not feel comfortable being creative at work. Perhaps it has to be a clear and allowable goal in education and in the workplace in general.

Dennis Martinus

Posted on Jul 28, 2013 5:28 AM - Permalink

"88% agree creativity should be built into education curriculums, and 72% agree they were more focused on subject matter than creative thinking in school"
I agree with this finding.
I can't speak for the US, but where I come from, students are not encouraged to think creatively. However, I see students blossom when given the opportunity to express their voice in a creative way. For this school year I am determined to add more creativity to my lesson plans.

susan leequee

Posted on Jul 21, 2013 2:41 AM - Permalink

"57% of college educated professionals believe creativity is a learned skill that can be learned in their career while 65% believe it is a personality trait that is innate."

Creativity in my view, is an innate trait. It is part of our evolving experience as we grow, explore, learn from trial and error. A component of problem-solving.

Dara Zimmer

Posted on Jul 19, 2013 1:25 AM - Permalink

I don't believe that you can learn creativity through your career at the start, as it is a skill that you must foster from early in your life. Creativity comes to anyone who is open to trial and error and not stuck in formula thinking as children are. You can extend your creative skills during your career as you should never stop practicing and learning.

Gabriel Ochoa Rojas

Posted on Jul 18, 2013 3:33 PM - Permalink

I must write in Spanish.

Mi afinidad en los resultados de la investigación está en que hay que incluir el pensamiento creativo en los procesos de formación, lo que hace que esta dinámica genere soluciones inteligentes en las situaciones de trabajo, el pensamiento creativo es aliado de los procesos de implementación y desarrollo de soluciones en la práctica cotidiana. Esta inclusión es un proceso que debe iniciarse, con el apoyo decidido de las instituciones educativas de los paises, dentro de un programa apoyado por los Ministerios de Educación, y debe ser incluida en la educación pública y privada.

El proceso debe iniciarse desde la educación básica primaria, el bachillerato y por supuesto en las Universidades, en los modelos educativos formales y no formales, técnicos y tecnológicos. Estoy seguro que este modelo educativo, generará un alto impacto en los niveles de conocimiento, desarrollo social, tecnológico y económico, de las comunidades que se decidan a adoptarlo.

Tanisha Bronaugh

Posted on Jul 17, 2013 4:51 AM - Permalink

Creativity is a necessary part of our world, but it seems like people have trouble deciphering where it fits in. Most adults are uncomfortable thinking creatively at work because it is so much easier to go along with the obvious answer. If only more adults would dare to be creative, who knows how amazing this world could become!

Becky Breitwieser

Posted on Jul 16, 2013 9:19 PM - Permalink

Hopefully with Common Core we will be focusing more on critical thinking and creativity and less on rote subject understanding. As a teacher tin the classroom there is a pull between the message of going deeper (which I whole-heartedly support) and students performance on standardized testing that does not always focus on quality of thought but puts a huge emphasis on quantity of subject knowledge. With the further emphasis on connecting teacher evaluations with student performance it puts the teacher in an interesting and sometimes untenable situation. These are issues that need to be answered so we can truly go deep with our students and prepare them to be better world citizens and thinkers.

Elaine Barnum

Posted on Jul 13, 2013 10:32 PM - Permalink

Years ago I quite teaching in the public sector because I was tired of teaching formula writing and test taking skills. It killed me to participate in the killing of the imagination of students for cookie-cutter test taking skills which had nothing to do with real life. And this was beginning to happen even in the kindergarten level. Eventually, necessity had me return to education, but in the private sector that allowed me a bit more freedom to develop and expand my curriculum to meet MY needs for creativity and flexibility. Ultimately, I found my way into the world of the Adobe products and the light bulbs began to turn on again. For the past few years I have started my classes of new students with, "Welcome to my playground. I hope you learn to love it as much as I do!" This summer. I have been reading and researching more and more on creativity and PBLs. Now I can't wait to get back to my classroom to implement all I have learned. I wish I could turn back the clock twenty years to have that extra time ahead of me to be impacting the future of my students. Now I will say, "Let the magic of learning and creating begin and the light bulbs turn on--yes, even in high school!"

Whitney George

Posted on Jun 5, 2013 12:21 AM - Permalink

Creativity is a learned skill, though like subject matter, some students show a more immediate aptitude, perhaps because they have practiced creative thinking more often in the home environment. Standardized testing can create a pressure on teachers that can lead the to belief that there is no time for creative projects when so much content must be covered. The more research and data that proves a connection between authentic learning and creative thinking, the more support I hope to see for the transformation that's needed in K-12 ed.

Lesa Thompson

Posted on Jun 2, 2013 1:32 AM - Permalink

Creativity is a learned skill that involves different ways of looking at and thinking about things. I know she's not a college professor, but Kat Von D is a very creative (and very successful) tattoo artist and business woman who says in her book Go Big or Go Home that creativity depends more on practice, devotion, and dedication than on any sort of rare or magical skills possessed by an elite few. She asserts that if we nourish our inherent creativity, it will grow (pgs. 80-82), which is reminiscient of what Sir Ken Robinson said in his TED Talk on the subject of creativity. The research only serves to back up what those two not only know but also espouse in their own lives.