Are you game?

Posted on Mar 10, 2013 by Melissa Jones Latest activity: Dec 6, 2013

11 6,362
  • 3 Ratings

What are your impressions of the trend to "gamify" teaching and learning? How do you see games and game mechanics driving student engagement in your classroom?

Comments (11)

Jim Thomson

Posted on Dec 6, 2013 3:32 AM - Permalink

While I think 'gamifying' using online 'badges' is kind of corny, if it works for you awesome. What I think really works is using 'game design' as a summative learning event. Creating a board game or video game on a social issue, historical event or to tell a story is an great way for student to construct knowledge connections, and create deeper understanding.

ng sw

Posted on Oct 8, 2013 1:59 AM - Permalink

I do believe that games really help in teaching and learning. There was a time in my class, we played a game known as battle ship. We divide the students into two groups. Have them placed in to separate areas hidden from each other. The students will draw crosses on a gridded paper. This will indicate where they have placed a bombed. Plus, also tells of the lifespan of the person in the group.

This will test their teamwork, their collaboration, their intellect. Mostly it is a guessing game since you don't know where your enemy is located. But, you do need to strategies and think together how to manage the whole situation.

Mike Skocko

Posted on Jul 29, 2013 9:41 PM - Permalink

T-24 Hours...

I have 70+ test domains for anyone interested in trying out our new gamified plugin. You may use the domain for a few weeks to test the system to see if it's right for you.

If you're interested, join the AEE and leave a comment IN THIS THREAD expressing your interest.

C'mon, lurkers, join the club, make a comment, then email me and I'll send your admin credentials.

First come, first served :)

Nancy Parker

Posted on Jul 25, 2013 10:04 PM - Permalink

Gamifying has a place but there must be no mistake about it, education must not embrace it is as mainstream. I don't believe that educators should attempt to "Gamify" learning to the point that students want everything to be fun. Life has challenges, struggles, and disappointments. I know that experiencing challenges, struggles, and disappointments build character and we all learn from these unpleasant experiences just as we learn from the more pleasurable experiences.

Mike Skocko

Posted on Jul 25, 2013 10:27 PM - Permalink

I'm curious, Nancy. Why can't a game designer include challenges, struggles, and disappointments?

Without those attributes, it would be a pretty boring game. :)

P.S. See you in San Jose next week!

Nancy Parker

Posted on Jul 27, 2013 3:27 PM - Permalink

RIGHT! Well stated Mike. I agree. Now let's explore what happens when we get so frustrated with the challenges, struggles, and disappointments that we no longer want to play the game. We can just exit. The game ends and we no longer get to have those challenges, struggles, and disappointments. The end. What happens when a student quits school? Does that end the challenges, struggles, and disappointments? How do we design that game? I do believe that educators need to mix elements of all in the curricula and strike a good balance in K-12.

Mike Skocko

Posted on Jul 24, 2013 8:54 PM - Permalink

Elaine Cavalheiro

Posted on Jul 24, 2013 7:07 PM - Permalink

Very interesting topic!At the moment me and my organization are working on project to ellaborate a game to become attractive at the same useful as learning.

Mike Skocko

Posted on Apr 17, 2013 8:28 PM - Permalink

Lukas Engqvist

Posted on Apr 6, 2013 8:04 PM - Permalink

I like the idea of badges as being positive confirmations that a teacher has seen and recorded a skill, achivement or ability. (compare how it is with the badges we get here). They give a much more descriptive and therefore constructive signal than a letter or number grade. I have seen some work, but not myself been able to implement in my teaching.

David Olinger

Posted on Mar 11, 2013 9:47 PM - Permalink

<p>Something that I struggle with is the traditional concept of assessment. I think that so often the "judgement" of assessments (A, B, C, D, & F) can debilitate a student's sense of motivation and create barriers between peers. I think the trend of gamification could change the culture of learning and assessment. I like the concept of "leveling up". I would like to integrate this concept more into assessments. If done correctly, it could be used to differentiate :experts" from "novices" as opposed to "smart" students from "struggling/dumb" students. Students at a higher level could be promoted as a resource for their peers to help them level up as opposed to an untouchable class.<br></p>