Getting Started

Posted on Mar 25, 2014 by WENDY SANDSTROM Latest activity: Sep 3, 2014

10 4,309
  • 3 Ratings

Well, getting started AGAIN, lol. I have recently purchased CS6 Design and Web. My experience goes back to the Macromedia days...but now I am refreshing my skills with a new found purpose. Recently, I have been looking through the PD available and have found some very interesting Workshops, but I still need a little guidance from the Community...

I am mainly looking for course on Adobe Captivate and Photoshop. These can be intro courses, btw, since it has been several years since I have looked at some of these programs in depth. (much to my dismay, btw)

Also, I see a lot of Project based workshops (creating a brand, social media etc.) but is there a recommended plan for all Adobe software? It would be nice to have a Learning Plan on this site to guide me along, but since that is not a feature a plan would be helpful. Hope that makes sense...

I am doing most of this on my own, so any help is appreciated!

Thank you!!

Comments (10)

Paula Bright

Posted on Sep 3, 2014 5:15 AM - Permalink

Adobe neglects Captivate to a degree that's insulting. I've been searching for help with it since I started a year ago. I took the Lynda course. I've bought the books. But they're all so business oriented that there's not much help for using it to create materials for primary kids. The forum is very helpful, as there are a few people there who really do try to answer questions clearly.

And why isn't it in the CC? That's crazy! If and when I can truly understand advanced actions, it will be an awesome and extremely creative experience to make gamified tutorials and then check for comprehension. The problem is, finding tutorials for advanced actions that I can follow has been hopeless. There is a series of several videos in ?6? parts, but it's so hard to understand the presenter that I give up.

The problem with Adobe Help is that it assumes a person knows things, and that is NOT how teaching is supposed to work. I'm so frustrated I could scream! OK, rant over!! Sorry.

I'm still bumbling my way through with working on it, and hoping that things will become clear to me somehow. I feel like I'm at a standstill...I really need to learn this program with clearer instructions! I've created one small course with Tin Can and it works, but I want it to do so much more. So many possibilities!

How much progress have you made with the program, Wendy? I hope your situation is better than mine! ;D

Melissa Jones

Posted on Sep 3, 2014 11:34 PM - Permalink

Eliot Attridge

Posted on May 17, 2014 4:50 AM - Permalink

Hi Wendy,

I have just bought Captivate myself. I followed a very good tutorial at Lynda.com which, although focussed on training staff for a business, was very useful and enabled me to create a SCORM package for Moodle (which we use for our LMS). I use Lynda courses a lot for my Adobe projects - some are excellent (e.g. for Illustrator and Photoshop).

WENDY SANDSTROM

Posted on Apr 23, 2014 11:46 AM - Permalink

Thank you all for your responses! As each one came in I was more and more thankful I joined this community! I appreciate the tips for Photoshop and although I have not gotten into that one more yet, it will be helpful to have a few more resources! For Captivate, I found a book I am thumbing through for references as I "play around" in the software.

Joseph LoCicero

Posted on Apr 17, 2014 7:31 PM - Permalink

Peggy Cook

Posted on Apr 15, 2014 5:31 PM - Permalink

I teach high school Digital Graphics and for learning Photoshop CS6, I have created my own lesson projects. Using Dreamweaver, Photoshop and screenshots, my students have successfully learned Photoshop CS6.

ellen flaherty

Posted on Mar 28, 2014 12:55 AM - Permalink

For learning Photoshop CS6 specifically, I recommend the AdobeTV video series Learn Photoshop CS6 as well as the technical guides here on the Exchange. They aren't courses but you can follow them on your own and learn a lot. Sorry but I don't have as much experience with Captivate but I'm sure if you searched the Exchange you would find some good resources from other members. Good luck!

WENDY SANDSTROM

Posted on Mar 27, 2014 7:18 PM - Permalink

Thank you Melissa, for taking the time to respond to my post. I appreciate your input and look forward to anything the community may come up with! If nothing else, maybe I will post what I did later on...in hopes that it may help others!

Melissa Jones

Posted on Mar 26, 2014 3:58 PM - Permalink

We really like the idea of asking the community for their learning plans. At present, we on the AdobeEdu team have taken the stance of encouraging learners to create their own learning plans from the content we have available. But community-curated learning plans are a great idea!

If what you're looking for is straight-up product training (how to complete certain tasks in a certain product) I would recommend using the learning pathways available here: https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/learn/tutorials.html

Click on the name of the product you want to learn (in your case, Photoshop) and then start with the Getting Started lesson. After that, you can explore the other basic tutorials. These tutorials are for Photoshop CC but you will find some good overlap with CS6.

For Captivate, try this site: http://www.adobe.com/support/captivate/gettingstarted.html

If you are interested in how the products can be used in teaching and learning, our workshops, courses and webinars will provide additional support: http://edex.adobe.com/professional-development

For those of you in the Adobe Education Exchange community - what would you recommend as a learning pathway for Photoshop? For Captivate?

Jody Campbell

Posted on Aug 3, 2014 3:34 PM - Permalink

Thanks for the one stop shopping post....just commenting here so I can easily find this thread in the future.