Digital Storytelling and Visual Literacy

Posted on Feb 14, 2013 by Adobe Education Latest activity: Jan 14, 2014

3 3,030
  • No Ratings

How can digital storytelling build your students' visual literacy skills?

Comments (3)

Aaron Jarvis

Posted on Jan 14, 2014 6:47 PM - Permalink

The idea of literacy, not simply having a basic intellectual understanding, but being able to use those rules to tell a story with a beginning, middle and end that touches people and helps them to understand both the what and the why of the piece is a very valuable lesson for our students. While instruction in how to use the software would be important, understanding how the pieces fit together, going through the editing process would be in some ways much more valuable an exercise. While software may change with time, the telling of a well crafted story is much the same as it has always been. The ability to tell a story would easily transfer to future projects for the students as they consider not just what they say, but why they are saying it.

I am both a science and visual arts instructor and I offer my students in my science class different ways of illustrating their learning including using technology / videos. While traditional written assessment of students is something that they have gotten very accustomed to by the time they reach high school and it takes some extra effort to create something original to show their understanding, I have found that not only do they think it is fun, it can also be a greater tool at reinforcing the concepts learned than most any other technique I've ever seen. I think that this is because before the creation can happen the students must first really internalize the information and think about it with a much greater depth than other forms of assessment require.

James Walker

Posted on Oct 28, 2013 5:38 PM - Permalink

Digital storytelling is often a non-linear narrative which means students can access the story at a point they are comfortable with and from here engage in other areas. Digital storytelling has the potential to utilise all of the senses which means that various codes (colour, sound, interaction) etc can be used to reinforce a message and make communication clearer.

Moraima Jacobacci

Posted on Mar 12, 2013 3:53 PM - Permalink

<p>Digital storytelling let the students think in images and sounds. Also, let them sumarize and explain better a concept combining text, images, sounds and music. It is a wonderful tool to empower critical thinking and their communication skills. <br></p>