After Effects Activities

Posted on Jun 7, 2014 by Ian Fairhurst Latest activity: Jul 12, 2014

4 1,226
  • No Ratings

My students are hooked on After Effects & love the end results of what they see in people's showreels online. My question to the Adobe EdEx Community is:

1) What are your favourite activities / tutorials for introducing After Effects

&

2) Can you suggest / provide a source for source files & tutorial packages.

Video Co-Pilot has been our go-to site for years now but I'm just looking to see if there are any extras or alternatives.

Many Thanks!

Comments (4)

wendy bellamy

Posted on Jul 12, 2014 5:20 AM - Permalink

Lynda.com has heaps of tutorials and is easy to use to find answers to immediate questions.

Jimenez Marilyn

Posted on Jul 2, 2014 8:58 PM - Permalink

I teach After Effects completely through projects, which my student seem to enjoy more than learning commands and techniques in isolation. I search the Internet regularly for interesting projects to use or to adapt that do not involve expensive additional plugins. Here are a couple beyond VideoCopilot:

Creative Cow- lots of interesting projects, an older project, which would have to be adjusted for today's AE, is 3D Ride. My students absolutely love this, and it can be assigned early in the semester if you do not mind a 'paint by the numbers' approach

Tuts+ - some are free, many are only available through the paid subscription. The film title series is an excellent way to approach motion graphics.

http://maltaannon.com/ -some great tutorials at this site

I also have the students follow VFXBRO on youtube for ideas on how to incorporate effects into low budget independent films.

katherine Yamashita

Posted on Jul 9, 2014 1:02 AM - Permalink

Thanks for the additional resources! They look great!

katherine Yamashita

Posted on Jun 8, 2014 8:28 PM - Permalink

Video CoPilot is my go to as well, but then I have students use what they have learned and more in my Spoken Word unit.