Comments (23)

Louis DePriest

Posted on Aug 13, 2014 3:57 PM - Permalink

This year we are going to do more video productions out of the studio. I too will be focusing again on the process. I hope to be more aware of the external elements like the habitat and culture in which the students will be working in..

Barbara Swanner

Posted on Aug 10, 2014 9:55 PM - Permalink

I teach all of my fourteen art classes from the process perspective rather than the finished product. I do not make all my students make the same thing. They all have to use the same process in some manner,but the only project I ever use in the classroom that looks like they are cloned is our very first project in Photoshop Elements called After Andy. I use this to teach and reinforce the selection tools and importance for the use of layers.

I push my students to make their own decisions, in photography my students will say which photo should I use? Tell me which one is best, instead I tell them I won't pick but we can talk about them and then they can decide, or I will say ask some of your classmates which they like best. Often they won't like the one their classmates chose, and this will open a dialogue about what works and doesn't in an image. It would be so easy to say "use this one", but I think to make my students think more creatively I have to give them the room to fail.

We have critique in my classes after every project,everyone must participate, and the work is hung without names until after the critique. At first the students are reluctant to discuss someone's work, but we follow what I call rules of engagement. Students cannot say I hate that piece, but instead must offer a constructive criticism that is correctable, without totally redoing the project. They also have to say what they like about a piece, and not this is cool, but use art terms. Once they start sharing the growth in what happens with the art is amazing.

To keep myself working creatively, I must work and enter work in juried shows. Knowing I am going to be judged, makes me work harder after a long day or week in the classroom. I do teach 12 - 14 different classes a week, two at the AP level and sponsor two clubs and one honor society, so my week is really active. I often meet kids at school on the weekends to work on AP projects, which gives me little time for my own work, so I find the hook of entering competitive shows works best for me.

Bhuvana Sriram

Posted on Jul 15, 2014 4:51 PM - Permalink

My first and foremost goal is to be creative in teaching my subject to get the best result . Though we teach under pressure I always try to improve my comfort level to be creative and allow the students also to be creative in the teaching learning process. I would like to improve creative confidence in students as well as me.

Jody Chapel

Posted on Jul 15, 2014 3:08 PM - Permalink

I teach technology skills for the goal of helping students to be able to realize their artistic vision. The IDEA comes first. As a designer turned teacher, I try to make it as real as possible though not always with commercial projects. It is equally important to learn how to generate personally expressive ideas.
My goal is to learn how to help them be more and more creative, and push their own boundaries. I have been working to have their learning environment reflect this. I want them to say WOW when they walk through the door.
I would like to know more about creativity-building activities that are not projects in themselves, but can be used to enhance the process and the projects.

This is my idea of a design-studio classroom (from http://walking-chair.com/) but imagine a lot more computer workstations (32 to be exact!)

See pic at http://tinyurl.com/njzx5av

Jody Chapel

Posted on Jul 15, 2014 3:01 PM - Permalink

I teach technology skills for the goal of helping students to be able to realize their artistic vision. The IDEA comes first. As a designer turned teacher, I try to make it as real as possible though not always with commercial projects. It is equally important to learn how to generate personally expressive ideas.
My goal is to learn how to help them be more and more creative, and push their own boundaries. I have been working to have their learning environment reflect this. I want them to say WOW when they walk through the door.
I would like to know more about creativity-building activities that are not projects in themselves, but can be used to enhance the process and the projects.

Karen Ellis

Posted on Jul 15, 2014 11:44 AM - Permalink

My goal is to provide opportunities for creativity by being creative my self in the way I teach and learn. I can start this by reviewing my session plans with the audience and students in mind and think how can I do this in a creative way.

Valery Keibler

Posted on Jul 13, 2014 10:42 PM - Permalink

I get frustrated when things get "loose" in my workspace and after looking at a few photos it dawned on me that I need some short vertical spaces on my desktop to allow me to post some notes and have other surfaces to keep hings organized. Great exercise to wake me up!

Frank Vandenburg

Posted on Jul 13, 2014 4:03 AM - Permalink

My most important goal is to commit to holding firm and insisting on an environment and format that supports and fosters creativity with my training participants, even if some see it as "unreasonable" or "difficult". While there can be short term hassle for some, the results will make it worth the extra work and the participation time invested by people, rather than a lacklustre session.

Ernest Whiteman

Posted on Jun 26, 2014 3:29 PM - Permalink

For working with one of my classes, instead of telling them what to do, I followed along with what their teacher proposed. I followed along as if I were doing the project too. It helps for a student to see an adult doing the same things. It makes them ask questions about the techniques and the images. I used some personal images for the "List Poem" activity the class did and pulled two off of Native news sites. Which I did not cite and why I have not posted it. While, mine was only an example, we made sure they students understood why we cite image and about copyright. I used layering and masking and it got the students hungry to learn how to do those techniques and inspired them to try it in their own creative ways.

Lana Powers

Posted on Jun 17, 2014 3:40 PM - Permalink

I also borrowed an image but could easily visualize my goals:
Few projects covering more standards - allowing more time for creativity
Students create the projects to demonstrate the standards

http://t.co/3tVNWDwYsL

Adam Figueira

Posted on Jun 16, 2014 10:40 PM - Permalink

Here's a link to my post: https://twitter.com/akkfigueira/status/478666857545613313

The image isn't my classroom, but it reminds me of my classroom before I inherited it. Although I teach film, photography, and stage craft, I've opted not to place images on my walls. Instead, I have a lot of hand-written quotes (in black sharpie) from accomplished people in the industries I deal with. Some humorous, some inspiring, some controversial. Some I don't agree with. I refer to them a lot throughout the class and challenge the students to form their own thoughts on the issues. The goal of this practice is to get the kids to construct their own images. We practice a lot in class, and I show them many examples on the projector, but I don't want them to just look at the walls and copy what they see. I want one focused area for showing images and an environment characterized by a lot of examples of quality thought.

Anyway, my goals are to engage every child creatively and to keep a record of my successes and failures at having a creative classroom.

Manuel Moya

Posted on Mar 27, 2014 4:16 PM - Permalink

My goal to promote creativity in my classroom is to use the back of the room to build a stage with 4 or 5 different themes. I will involve several students with the task of taking pictures, load them to the computer and use Photoshop to create drafts reflecting the final product. At the end of this project we will have a environment that reflects what we are doing every day in the classroom.

Brad Woolley

Posted on Mar 19, 2014 6:41 PM - Permalink

My score was a 38 and having focused on technological skills for over twenty years I was not surprised. For example I have been using PhotoShop and Premiere with my students since 1994 when they came bundled with the Macintosh computers I ordered. My goal is actually one I've had for years and that is to try to find ways to motivate colleagues into bringing more project based approaches to their classes. It has been an uphill battle with more retreats than successes. The hard part is identifying their needs and then trying to bring their needs into alignment with my objectives.

Wei Wei

Posted on Dec 25, 2013 4:47 PM - Permalink

Hello, I do like Adobe instruments for visual design and I believe it will facilitate the classroom for creative activities like making digital visual media. However, I think that we should even boost creativity on other areas like Math, Science and Social Science. Those subjects are the backbone of primary and middle school education. And hope someone could share some experience on that, especially with Math:-)

Lucia Podraza

Posted on Oct 14, 2013 12:52 AM - Permalink

I would like to further the creativity of my students in using web design and online portfolios to display their work. I need to focus on using Adobe programs interactively so that students have digital and printed examples of their work and that they create work that they would be proud to display on the web. My picture of a sample website I would like to replicate and info about my classroom is on my class twitter page: pic.twitter.com/8GjYkh0EdR

Jody Chapel

Posted on Jul 15, 2014 3:00 PM - Permalink

Hello,
I loved your sample website link! Last year I started doing online site with ALL of my students. Every student completes a Website (process-folio) and it includes a portfolio of best work). Most students enjoyed having a place to showcase their learning. I used it for grading and to show growth over time. My classroom is a computer lab (grades 9-12) but I refer to it as a design lab. In there we teach digital photography, graphic design, multimedia and AP Studio Art (digital emphasis). I use Weebly.com (Education for both my site and all my student's sites). Many of my AP students use Behance.net.

Jody Chapel

Posted on Jul 15, 2014 3:00 PM - Permalink

Hello,
I loved your sample website link! Last year I started doing online site with ALL of my students. Every student completes a Website (process-folio) and it includes a portfolio of best work). Most students enjoyed having a place to showcase their learning. I used it for grading and to show growth over time. My classroom is a computer lab (grades 9-12) but I refer to it as a design lab. In there we teach digital photography, graphic design, multimedia and AP Studio Art (digital emphasis). I use Weebly.com (Education for both my site and all my student's sites). Many of my AP students use Behance.net.

Belinda Caulfield

Posted on Aug 29, 2013 10:25 AM - Permalink

My score was 28 aim for the future is 40! So I am classed as inspiring, just the motivation I needed to think differently about staff development and how staff can use the IWB and Moodle. Goals: Develop IWB buddies, Cross college project to create games that increase participation and creativity in the classroom and PPD plan for myself. My pic: http://t.co/bf3vrwh7pV

Susan Remmen

Posted on Aug 26, 2013 4:30 AM - Permalink

My level was inspiring. My goals are: Ensure open solutions to outputs to allow for creativity (broad). Partner with creative staff to improve on creativity of lessons (broad). Create centers for expanding learning/student led exploration and presentation of findings (broad). Allow technology such as photoshop as a solution path for "Emotion Poster" lesson (specific).

Colleen Velasquez

Posted on Aug 17, 2013 9:16 PM - Permalink

My creativity score was at the leading level. I looked at both the leading level goals and the inspiring level goals and decided these are the two main goals I have for reinventing my classroom.

1. Create a creativity-focused, cross-curricular project and encourage other teachers to observe.

2. Document and share with others how the creative process works in your classroom. Mentor others on how to foster different forms of creativity in students. Collaborate with other teachers outside your subject area to create opportunities for interdisciplinary learning.

The picture I used is a couple of years old (https://sphotos-a-lax.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/p480x480/1146645_10201155611844783_1192969699_n.jpg) and I have done some things to improve since then, but I didn't have pictures. Silly me! This year I intend to film more of what is going on in my classroom.

O Valdivia

Posted on Aug 12, 2013 5:48 AM - Permalink

My creativity score was not bad; however, I am always looking for more and find better ways to keep my teaching current to our times. I love to see projects being created by other students across the world because it gives you ideas on how you can challenge your students too. I think that all the teachers that have enrolled for this training are being open to learn new things. These exercises will allow us to see things differently and to learn from each other. My goal is to continue learning to improve my teaching. As long as we are teachers, we are also going to be also students.

Star Mitrani

Posted on Aug 12, 2013 5:10 AM - Permalink

I was surprised at my score indicating that I am in the Inspiring creativity comfort level. I have to set a goal simply to continue in my quest to learn more about adobe products and see if I can obtain software programs such as Photoshop in order to promote creativity with my students.

Dennis Martinus

Posted on Jul 29, 2013 9:50 AM - Permalink

The the self-assessment score indicated that I am at the Inspiring comfort level with creativity in the classroom.
I was amazed that the suggested goals are similar to the ideas I have to encourage creativity in our classrooms, so I have adopted them as my personal goals:

1. I will advance my personal professional development by completing the series of workshops about Creativity in Today’s Classroom and also the Interdisciplinary Learning series in order to increase my creativity level.
  2. I will discuss with my fellow teacher at least method to promote creativity in our classrooms per semester.
  3. I will conduct one cross-curricular project per semester.

For that I have created an inspirational image: Inspirational image