There are many different Adobe software paths to arrive at eLearning units. How do I decide which is the right path?

Posted on Apr 24, 2013 by Judy Durkin Latest activity: Aug 24, 2013

6 3,096
  • 1 Rating

I have video + slide show + instructions + form + rubric. In other words, I have a bunch of materials that I am developing. How best to package them for distribution to students and other teachers?

Do I create an InDesign interactive document, embed all of the pieces and publish it? DPS?

Do I create a self-contained website using Dreamweaver or Muse containing embeds and links to the information (forms central=essay responses & quizzes, captivate=quizzes, software demos, slide shows)?

Do I create an Acrobat portfolio with the individual components?

Which is the best solution? All can be accessed from any device, right?

I think this is the most perplexing thing I face when I first embark on a large learning unit that I want to present digitally.

Please - feedback. Hope I made my confusion clear.

Comments (6)

Rosemary Lengsas

Posted on Aug 24, 2013 9:53 PM - Permalink

I find PDF Portfolios sometimes cumbersome b/c as a teacher, if I want to save an individual file, I have to open it and then save it separately. So, I do something else instead. This may be very rudimentary, but this has worked for me in the past...

Basically, I create a .zip file that contains all of the elements of the learning unit. Then, I create an .html page (which can be done in Dreamweaver or hand-coded) that hyperlinks to the files. In this .html page, you can provide a description of each document and put them in a sequential order or under specific headings.

Then, you can easily email the folder (if it isn't too big) or upload it to a file sharing site to share it. When the recipient opens it, they can open the .html file in a browser and have access to everything. It can also be unzipped and stored on a school shared drive for others to access.

As for organizing the files, I would do something like this:

• Adobe Illustrator 101 (.zip file)
    • Start Here or Table of Contents (.html file)
    • Contents (folder)
      • Then, have each file here. You can organize them in folders if need be.

When they open the .zip file, they will only see two files: the folder with the contents and then the .html file. So, it shouldn't be too overwhelming.
Hope this helps!

Debbie Keller

Posted on Jul 29, 2013 4:33 PM - Permalink

@Dan

Can you password protect Canvas for a student login to protect the content from being seen by everyone?

Dan Armstrong

Posted on Jul 29, 2013 7:21 AM - Permalink

I have an Idea... I use Canvas it's a free LMS Like Kim suggested (Mobile app is great). No web site to build. I upload all files to google drive and videos to Youtube. ( works on all devices) Then I place a link to the files in canvas in the discussion area. I organize it all in this order: Videos first (watch before class) Presentation, work step by step from the book, student projects with a rubric, and then a quiz. That's my recipe. I'd be happy to share a little more if you need.

If you like portfolios remember they can be exported as a web page. Then if you need a quick hosting solution just throw it in your dropbox public folder and share the public link. Presto, live web page!

Kim Mihaly

Posted on May 13, 2013 10:38 AM - Permalink

Have you considered a (free) LMS like Moodle ?

Tammy Moore

Posted on May 5, 2013 12:02 AM - Permalink

I guess my decision was easier because we already had two primary tools. Those gave some constraints - well, no not constraints so much as just making it easy to decide because of what worked well with them.

I teach students in K through 12 courses. We have live, online classes, mixed live and asynchronous, and fully asynchronous classes. The live online classroom can run Flash in addition to the built in tools. Our LMS can run Flash and HTML5. In neither environment is it ideal to have a text heavy nor sit back an listen environment. The students need interaction, exploration, visuals, animations, and more to assist them in comprehending and staying focused on their learning tasks. Flash is perhaps the best tool to accomplish this but has a tad steep a learning curve for our teachers with the added issue of not being very mobile compatible short of publishing and app for every lesson.

What we have decided to go with is Adobe Captivate. It has the greatest capabilities to create the sorts of things we have admired about Flash lessons yet the tool can be used immediately by teachers. In their first try with it they can easily achieve at least PowerPoint-like lessons with the addition of really easy to build drag and drop interactions. Teachers looking to get creative find that it has a lot under the hood with the ability to create custom learning interactions that would lead you to feel the teacher developed it in Flash. I did a proof of concept two weeks ago testing how far can it go and feel the proof of concept test demonstrated Captivate's ability to let me build a science course where the student learn entirely immersed in a game adventure similar to Myst. They will be immersed in an environment and storyline where they will learn and apply what they learn about the science concepts in the form of interactive puzzles where they will have to make connections between what they have learned and how it can be applied to solve in-story problems. Add on top of the quality of the learning experience that can be created the ability of the produced lesson to automatically report to SCORM compliant LMSs so that the instructor's load is kept down and you have a really winning combination in my book. Yes, we are definitely sold on Adobe Captivate for meeting the needs of students and their instructors that want to be able to create content where they can hit the ground running right out of the gate yet have next to no limits if they want to take it to the max.

It can publish to swf (Flash) and to HTML5 (mobile friendly without having to install an app)

:0)

Jim Babbage

Posted on Apr 30, 2013 6:10 PM - Permalink

My thinking would be a website via Muse or Dreamweaver and an Acrobat portfolio, just from time savings perspective. I love inDesign and DPS - you can create such incredibly rich experiences with it - but keep in mind you will be laying out an entire publication, so you might not have the time to update the app as much as you might like. While not as interactive as a DPS app, one of the things I love about Acrobat portfolios is just how easy it is to add new content. Acrobat portfolios can be accessed from desktop and tablets using the Adobe Reader. You won't get the cool interface of an Acrobat portfolio on an iPad, but you do get access to all the content in a file directory-like structure.