High dynamic range photography

Posted on Mar 24, 2013 by Tarek Bahaa El Deen Latest activity: Jul 26, 2013

3 2,115
  • 2 Ratings

High dynamic range photography is one of many factors affects in digital image quality

such as fill factor, color response, linearity, uniformity...etc

but which best digital camera in high dynamic range available recently

Comments (3)

Gary Poulton

Posted on Jul 24, 2013 4:57 AM - Permalink

I think that Bill has pretty much nailed it. Unless you have a high end DSLR that can bracket more than 5 exposures and I've worked in all combinations (3,5,7) you'll get a reasonably good result with 3 @ 1.5 stops. I think it's better to blend your own files rather than have it done in camera.

I use Nik HDR Efex Pro 2 + OnOne's HDR Plugin + Photomatix. If you want to check out most of what's available go to http://hdrguide.com/

Juan Pedro Secondo

Posted on Jul 24, 2013 4:30 AM - Permalink

My guess is you're looking for a DSLR. I use a Canon T2i which uses 3 pics to compose de HDR. Nikon uses 5 pics to do it (check models) and Pentax K use up to 7 or 9 pics.

Bill Guy

Posted on Jul 16, 2013 8:17 PM - Permalink

Most of the mid and high range DSLRs can produce great HDR images so long as you observe some camera tips for getting the best images.

1. Use a tripod or have the camera on a steady surface. This will reduce camera shake and make registration of the images quicker.

2. Shoot on Manual. You can take some preliminary meter readings using other settings but you will need the manual setting for getting the over and under if the camera does not have a menu setting for Bracketing Shots. If shooting on manual you will want to shoot the over and under exposed images using different shutter speed and not changing the F stop. Changing the F stop can cause loss of depth of field or out of focus shots. You will want at least 3 exposures, one normal, one under and one over. The difference should be at least 3/4 of stop but I like to shoot at 1 1/4 stop difference if I don't have time for more than 3. Only if you are in an extreme lighting situation would you do more than 7.

3. File Format. Here is where many a late night discussion and sometimes fist fights breaks out. You can shoot in RAW (and if you can only do 3 shots then this is a better format) or you can shoot in Jpeg if you are doing 5 or more. Keep in mind Jpeg does compress the images and sets them with White Balance and profiles. So any color adjustments do prove to be a little more problematic.

The final part of HDR is how do you process the images. Photoshop CS5 , CS6 and CC do have HDR built in with some presets but I have found that third party softwares of NIK HDR Effect 2 and HDR soft works much better.